Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu help alternatives

Beans

Ubuntu help alternatives

What are some other good Ubuntu forums that offer assistance? My question seems to be out of the scope of those here, so i was curious of others i might be able to post on and get some feedback/help.

Yes i can search google, but i have no idea which ones are helpful, etc so this is why i am asking.

Thanks in advance.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu help alternatives

See http://www.ubuntu.com/support

This forum (here, Ubuntuforums) is very good, and helps many users.
    Last edited by ian-weisser; February 29th, 2016 at 05:06 PM.

Beans

Alright, thanks. Guess i'll shift to askubuntu then. Preciate it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

I'm not running server equipment and needing to hot-swap. So I can't provide a answer either. Maybe if you ask a Mod to move your post to the server forum..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

On this forum we do not mind if a user is asking about the same problem that someone else has asked about a few minutes earlier.

Things are done differently on AskUbuntu. If a question has already been asked & hopefully answered we are not supposed to ask again. And it is no good saying that the previous question was about 12.04 and I am using 14.04 so it is a different question. Many problems & answers are the same whatever version of Ubuntu we are using and on AskUbuntu we are expected to search for an answer before we post a question.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Perhaps you misread it.

This forum (here, Ubuntufoums) is a good place to ask your question.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    On this forum we do not mind if a user is asking about the same problem that someone else has asked about a few minutes earlier.

Things are done differently on AskUbuntu. If a question has already been asked & hopefully answered we are not supposed to ask again. And it is no good saying that the previous question was about 12.04 and I am using 14.04 so it is a different question. Many problems & answers are the same whatever version of Ubuntu we are using and on AskUbuntu we are expected to search for an answer before we post a question.

Regards.
    OP will quickly find out how AU works

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

It helps when you post in the correct forum. Your post has been moved.

It might also be noted that you'll find some of the regular people at AskUbuntu that you'll find here under the same or different usernames.

If your post here has not seen action in 12 or so hours, simply post 'bump' on the thread. We are an international forum over many times zones, so the person that can help may not have seen your post yet, and certainly won't see it if it drops down the list over a week to obscurity.

Also bear in mind that all users and staff here are volunteers. The only thing compelling one user to help any other is their desire to. They have no obligation to. And as mentioned, you'll find that AskUbuntu is a different atmosphere to these forums and has different protocols.

Good luck.

Beans

You could always try asking in the fediverse (GNU Social, Pump.io, Diaspora). GNU Social seems to be the most active/stable these days, though that might just be the community. There are plenty of public nodes on all of those, but pump.io is centered around a single company simply because it hasn't gotten much adoption. Also, the founder of that company has moved on, so the servers go down and stay down sometimes. However, the eventual W3C spec is going to be largely based upon pump.io's protocol, so long term it might be a better place. Sounds like you need some answers now though, not after the wheels of the W3C churn.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Depending on what your issue is, I sometimes ask the same generic question to this forum, the Fedora forums and the openSUSE forums because each attracts a different collection of individuals who may be experienced in something I am asking about. Depending on the issue and source, I may have to adjust (translate) the steps from one distribution to another but that is usually not so bad.

There is also #IRC (such as #ubuntu), Google+ and computer clubs.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast