Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with Bay Trail and new kernels

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Problem with Bay Trail and new kernels

Since the release of Ubuntu 16.04 LTS is approaching, I would like to bring to attention a serious bug which affects all Bay Trail computers and causes a complete system freeze. The bug is described here: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=109051

What does it mean? Computers running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS with 3.13 kernel work fine. Once they get upgraded to 16.04, they will freeze within a couple of minutes.

I think this is a very serious bug and should be fixed before Ubuntu 16.04 LTS is released. I hope Canonical has enough power to push Intel to fix their broken driver.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Problem with Bay Trail and new kernels

Thread moved to Ubuntu Development Version.

Everything and anything to do with unreleased development versions goes here. Thanks.

I am running 16.04 LTS on a brand new desktop with an Intel i7 6700 processor and an Nvidia GTX 970 GPU using Blender to edit video (or test doing so). Faultless, but Haswell, not Baytrail, and I notice the majority of problems on that thread coming from folk using Celeron processors. You would be looking to run Xubuntu or Lubuntu on a Celeron processor at this point I'd think. Does this bug apply to them also, it applies to the actual Ubuntu kernel all flavours are built on?

I have no crashing after a few minutes (or a couple of hours). In fact 16.04, not suprisingly on new hardware, has better hardware support and is running smoother than 15.10 which has been pretty much a nightmare for me (about to install 14.04 LTS on that machine to see if that improves things until 16.04 LTS is official in April).

16.04 is a development release though, so who knows. Maybe something related to this bug will jump up and bite me on the bum while I'm looking the other way. Thanks for sharing the info.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; February 25th, 2016 at 09:43 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Many times it has been discussed/reported dist-upgrade problems: 14.04 -> 16.04
    This is due to "transition" problems not managed (yet/unknown); so a valid Bay Trail testing is about a fresh install only (for the moment at least)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Bucky Ball> The problem is valid only for computers with Intel bay trail chipset. It is present in all releases since 15.04, maybe even 14.10. But it will hit many more people when 16.04 gets released. People running LTS release want stability. But if this bug isn't fixed soon, all people with bay trail computers will have an unusable computer after the upgrade.

Since the problem is in broken Intel driver directly in kernel, it affects all *ubuntu versions, in fact all Linux distributions.

dino99> This has nothing to do with dist-upgrade. There is a bug in Intel graphics driver for i915 (found in bay trail chipset) which causes a freeze usually after a few minutes if using HW acceleration or playing video. It affects also current non-LTS releases.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

It would be nice if members of the Ubuntu kernel team were to participate in this forum. But I doubt if any of them do. We can contact the Ubuntu kernel team directly.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam

Some of those who frequent the Ubuntu Development Section of this forum like to test kernels on the development release before they are put in the main Ubuntu update channel. How many of them are running Bay trail CPUs I cannot say. But not having the hardware does limit the testing of the development release. But there are threads on this section of the forum relating to each release candidate kernel.

There may even be a Ubuntu bug on Launchpad about this very problem. Yes, checking launchpad for a bug would be the way to go, in my opinion. I am confident that the Ubuntu kernel team are aware of kernel bugs registered on bugzillar. It must be part of their terms of employment to know what's happing to the Linux kernel.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Bugs

The submitter should provide as much information as possible in the bug description:

1. The majority of kernel bug are hardware specific so be sure to note what hardware/device is being used.
    2. Document any known steps to reproduce the bug.
    3. Also note whether the bug exists in previous kernel versions of Ubuntu or if it's a regression from previous kernel versions.
    4. Finally, it's critical to also make sure to test the latest development Ubuntu kernel version as well as the latest upstream mainline kernel.
    Before upgrading or even putting a fresh install of a new Ubuntu release we should read the release notes.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; February 25th, 2016 at 03:12 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

The bug is mentioned here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1531865

But nobody really cares about it. There is a workaround with kernel command line parameters. But an average user can not do it and they won't know that they should do it.

I'm not reporting a new unknown bug. I just wanted to highlight this problem which will IMHO affect a lot of users (all with bay trail chipset) after upgrading to 16.04 LTS. It seems that everybody is happy with partial workaround and nobody really tries to fix it.
    Last edited by jicha; March 25th, 2016 at 11:59 AM.

Beans

I confirm the problem. Any kernel above 3.19.xx freezes the system completely.

There's no solution that I have found as yet. I use an HP r250 tu intel pentium quadcore processor.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You could try the workaround with max cstates = 1. It might work for you. Unfortunately it doesn't for me. I will have to stay at 14.04 as long as possible and then I will probably throw the computer away. I doubt it will ever get fixed.

Beans

I did try that, it has till now worked for me. cstate 1 does the trick for me. I'd be testing it for some more days and then would like to proceed to the 16.04 LTS update. I think the workaround works well for N3540 processors.

Though there still are some messages during boot up related to intel soc DTS; I searched on that and that seems to be WAY tougher thing to solve, it's developer level stuff, moreover, it's not a bug so I will let it be.
    Last edited by shivam-19mishra; April 27th, 2016 at 11:19 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Moved to General Help, as this thread now has nothing to do with Yakkety.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast