Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Startup disc creator

We can also remind him well in time before the release of 16.04.1 LTS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Of course. It may take time. They still haven't fixed the 'babysitting' bug from Trusty. That being that if you leave a persistent session of SDC while the bootloader is being installed and you do not enter PASSWORD in time it will fail. It is the worse piece of programming I have ever seen... that goes back to house keeping .. and I have a lot of my own .. some even growing legs and ready to jump out of the sink

regards..

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    That's exactly it. It is a house keeping issue that got neglected somewhere along the way. It is also a resource issue. Bigger projects drew more attention and smaller ones got left behind ie; ccsm and the maintenance done on them was sparse.

So we have to "shake the bushes" so to speak.
    It goes back to resources.

Then there is group participation. When Sam Spillsbury was responsible for compiz fixes he often said that he would like some others to help him fix compiz but that they needed some experience in vertex programming and after that it sort of all went silent.

regards..
    Just want to correct this blather. A major update to all components of compiz just in.

sorry for off topic..
    regards..

Beans
    Distro

..any news on whether there has been some progress with mac4man's bug report ?

regards..

Beans
    Hidden!

I have not seen anything yet.

Beans

It seems that Disk's 'Disk image Writer' ends up with the same issue when used to create a live usb (UEFI). After creating one then Disks can't do anything with the drive as far as formating.

Beans
    Hidden!

Disks clones the iso file, so there will be the same content in the pendrive as when it is made with the SDC, mkusb and dd. And yes, it is also the same problem.

"A tool should be able to restore what it has tampered with, or at least link to another tool to do it"

It seems we have to wait for a solution within the Ubuntu standard tools. They don't want my solution

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Disks clones the iso file, so there will be the same content in the pendrive as when it is made with the SDC, mkusb and dd. And yes, it is also the same problem.

"A tool should be able to restore what it has tampered with, or at least link to another tool to do it"
    From that viewpoint, which seems reasonable to me, an upstream Gnome bug on Disks seems appropriate.

Beans
    Hidden!

Maybe it would solve the problem faster, maybe not.

I think one problem is that Marc Deslauriers et. al. do not like mount and other tools that need superuser privileges. He wants to use something like

Code:
    /usr/bin/udisks --mount /dev/sdb1
    and if I have understood correctly, there is a bug, that he intends to squash in order for this to start working in gnome-disks also when the drive contains the partition table and file system of a cloned iso file.

Beans
    Distro

Bunch of updates on gnome-disk-utility and usb-creator-common/gtk.
    Last edited by ventrical; April 8th, 2016 at 09:30 AM.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast