Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Startup disc creator

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Startup disc creator

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Well... if I get three nominations I'll take up the issue once again with him. Part of new UDV testing admin is to act as liason between ubuntuforums and developers.

So give me three +1s and I'll do it for mac4man and for the the group

regards..
    Here you go then 3x+1's

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by runrickus View Post
    Here you go then 3x+1's
    Here you go then 3x+2's

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Anybody can email someone they have an address to ....

I subscribed both devs who commited to SDC 0.3.0 back in early Dec. to the bug report, they can respond or not, up to them.

@sudodus -
    So is the current SDC incapable of setting a volume label to disks it creates?
    Able or unable? I think the SDC clones, that is, copies each byte from the iso file to the pendrive. It does not edit anything. It would be possible to do that, but I don't think it does now. Just like the other cloning tools, it 'only' clones. I think this is good, it makes the SDC robust.

Beans
    Hidden!

marc has added a reply to your bug. He wants to fix it and is willing to let others help him.

regards
    Thanks ventrical, for making this happen

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

@runrickus, sammiev

Thanks you guys

Regards..

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Thanks ventrical, for making this happen
    Your welcome.
    Obviously some of the mailing lists have become redundant or seconded to the point where the devs just don't read them any more. Also, some of the launchpad slices have to be brought directly to the developer. It's not like they are deliberately ignoring anyone. It's good to see some action taken on mac4mans bug report. He has helped me a lot over the years.

regards..

Beans
    Distro

Just doing a back-step experiment.

I downloaded ubuntu (unity) current on a ubuntu 10.10 box and installed a persistive drive to 4GB USB and although it took a little time, it completed successfully and I am using that persistive install now.

And look how it formatted the USB.

regards..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Able or unable? I think the SDC clones, that is, copies each byte from the iso file to the pendrive. It does not edit anything. It would be possible to do that, but I don't think it does now. Just like the other cloning tools, it 'only' clones. I think this is good, it makes the SDC robust.
    It would seem that if SDC could set a specific volume label, (not a user option), then only those drives would eligible to be formated (from a gtk button that's only active under that circumstance.

Beans
    Hidden!

Just doing a back-step experiment.

I downloaded ubuntu (unity) current on a ubuntu 10.10 box and installed a persistive drive to 4GB USB and although it took a little time, it completed successfully and I am using that persistive install now.

And look how it formatted the USB.

regards..
    Have you checked if the SDC version of 10.10 works

- with 32-bit and 64-bit versions of all current Ubuntu versions?

- in UEFI as well as in BIOS mode? (With a 64-bit version the target should boot also in UEFI mode.)

It must also work between versions, architectures and boot modes (running in one of them, installing another one).

I think this mixture (and changes in the internal structure of the iso files between versions) made it hard to keep the old SDC working.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    It would seem that if SDC could set a specific volume label, (not a user option), then only those drives would eligible to be formated (from a gtk button that's only active under that circumstance.
    Yes it would, but then we start introducing complication, and potential causes to failure with future versions of Ubuntu.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast