Thread: Internet Explorer 8 v.s. Internet Explorer 11

Beans

Internet Explorer 8 v.s. Internet Explorer 11

I use Firefox. I leave Internet Explorer 8 unused and forgotten. The only time I'm reminded of Internet Explorer is when I do Windows Updates. It always asks me to Upgrade to Internet Explorer 11.

I'm not ever gonna use it, but I know that IE does stuff in the back ground anyway. Should I upgrade ti IE 11? What sneaky crap has MS snuck into it to try to take over our PC's? Or is it just about the same as IE8 in regards to sneaky crap?

Also, while bumping around in the Control panel, I found a check box that turns off IE8..... Will Windows 7 break if I turn it off? Should I upgrade to IE11 and then turn it off?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: Internet Explorer 8 v.s. Internet Explorer 11

From what I know, IE 8 does not have direct full HTML 5 support. I guess it has a problem with online streaming with HTML 5 sites like youtube. It just can't view live youtube broadcasts. I mean this is a Windows OS question but I'm glad to take a stab at it because it was one of the reasons why I tested firefox with live youtube broadcasts in Ubuntu. It even needed to update firefox to work.

Beans

Re: Internet Explorer 8 v.s. Internet Explorer 11

So I went ahead and upgraded to IE 11. Then after doing several security updates relating to IE 11, I set he home page to "about:blank". Then I went to Control Panel > Programs and Features. I clicked on "Turn Windows Features on or off", where I uncheck IE 11.

Now I'll see what happens over the next few days to see if anything in Win7 broke....

EDIT:

Well, It's 24 Feb 16, and Win7 doesn't seem to be broken after shutting off IE... Good...
    Last edited by DeadlyOats; February 24th, 2016 at 12:12 PM.