Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu on Asus T100HA

Beans

Ubuntu on Asus T100HA

Hello everybody!

First of all, this is my first post, and I don't really know these forums well, so forgive me if I do something wrong.
    So my problem is, that I'm planning to buy an Asus T100HA tablet(4gb ram etc.) and I'm interested in that will it work with Ubuntu? Does Asus have any problems with Linux used on their devices(OS lock or something maybe?)? Does Ubuntu actually support Asus T100HA features(screen rotation, wifi, etc)

Have a nice day:
    magyarmester

Beans

Re: Ubuntu on Asus T100HA

Hi.

I have the 2GB version of the T100HA. I have tried the howtos for the t100 with no joy.

The following things don't work on my installation:
    Sound
    Blurtooth
    Cameras
    Built in wi-fi

I'm using a wifi dongle.

To get ubuntu working you need to pass the nomodeset flag to the boot option in grub. I installed ubuntu in portrait mode even though the screen was landscape.

You also need (post install) to use the lxdm display manager, lightdm and gdm give a blank screen.

/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-monitor.conf:
    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Configured Video Device"
    Driver "fbdev"
    Option "UseFBDev" "true"
    Option "Rotate" "CCW"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Monitor "Configured Monitor"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "800x1280"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

To rotate the screen to landscape the following commands need to be added to /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart
    @xinput set-prop 11 "Evdev Axis Inversion" 1, 0
    @xinput set-prop 11 "Evdev Axes Swap" 1

I'm sure device support will be here soon, maybe in Ubuntu 16.04 or with kernel 4.5. If you need device support go with the t100 or maybe the T100Chi? Note webcam support is still being developed for both these models.

Also:
    There are open source drivers for the intel graphics card at 01.org. i couldn't run X with a configuration built using X -configure though.

Rob.
    Last edited by sputnikuk; February 11th, 2016 at 12:20 PM.

Beans

Hi,

I have installed Ubuntu 15.10 on my T100HA. Although it's not an easy task, it's manageable. The biggest problem I have is the brightness which is always at maximum.

I can live without bluetooth (never used it in 6 years on my previous laptop) or built in wifi (I also have a dongle). Sound and camera would be nice to have but for the moment I don't really need them. I'm sure that, eventually, my t100 will be fully functional under Ubuntu and I knew there are some problems before buying it but the brightness is driving me crazy.

The touch screen is amazing. Works really well and all it needs is the mentioned rotation.
    The keyboard is a bit cheap and, off-course, 10' small.
    I bought a 64GB sdxc card that worked immediately after I've installed the exfat package.
    I didn't try the micro hdmi port and neither to undock the keyboard mainly due to the wifi dongle that is plugged in the "normal" USB which is on the keyboard.
    I played Battle for Wesnoth without any problems.
    Editing latex documents works perfectly and playing only for a few minutes with Libre Office Impress I didn't found any problem. Using the touchscreen for presentations speeds things up quite a bit.

Another problem I have is that the laptop freezes completely just a few seconds after I try to compile something on >1 core. Not sure what the problem is.
    The battery life is reasonable considering the full brightness ().

I would recommend this laptop to Ubuntu users only after I solve the brightness problem. Any idea how to fix this issue?

Best,
    Andrei
    Last edited by andrei31; March 18th, 2016 at 05:47 PM.

Beans

Hi,

I used the steps described above in #2 (setting up 10-monitor.conf and editing autostart). The rotation of the screen works fine but for some reason, the touchscreen is not being rotated. Any idea what may have gone wrong ? Which part of the code is responsible for rotating the touchscreen ? Thanks a lot !

Btw: I tried out kernel 4.5 on Lubuntu 15.10 obtained here (http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/) but that did not fix the problems with the screen / graphics driver.

Edit (5.4.16): I now managed to rotate the touchscreen as well. I added the file /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-calibration.conf containing

Section "InputClass"
    Identifier "calibration"
    MatchProduct "SIS0457:00 0457:113D"
    Option "SwapAxes" "1"
    Option "InvertX" "1"
    EndSection

As far as I understand, this file may have to be saved at a different place (e.g. /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-calibration.conf) depending on your system/distribution. The identfier behind "MatchProduct" can be obtained from the result of xinput --list.

I spent some time trying to use the commands

@xinput set-prop 12 "Evdev Axis Inversion" 1, 0
    @xinput set-prop 12 "Evdev Axes Swap" 1

in autostart. These commands work fine if executed in a terminal (without the @) but for some reason, they are ignored or overwritten by something else if I just include them in autostart. I don't understand why this is happing (I made sure that I chose that particular autostart file that is used at the start of xserver) but I am happy now with the solution describes above.
    Last edited by Florian_Hanisch; April 5th, 2016 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Found solution for problem

Beans

Any luck getting wifi to work? T100TA seems to have a working wifi, but doing these steps on T100HA leads to no results. Dmesg shows that brcmfmac doesn't try to init any wifi modules, the reason most likely being T100HA's wifi is not 43241. One thing I know for sure is that wifi is one of Broadcom's SDIO modules, but it doesn't show up in lspci, lsusb or lshw, therefore I can't see which module it is.

Additionally, I can't not notice numerous mce messages in dmesg output, "mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged".
    Last edited by Oflor; April 25th, 2016 at 12:06 PM.

Beans

I have tried everything i've read with 16.04 and no joy so I have started over and installed lastest build of Ubuntu 16.10. I'm stuck at trying new display managers I only have lightdm installed. Does anyone know how to install multiple display managers to try (install from command line). I would like to try lxdm and maybe others, but even gdm doesn't seem to be installed. I'm learning so be kind

Beans

Hi,

I just installed Ubuntu Mate 16.04. Using the mentioned configurations for correctly rotated monitor and touchpad it looks quite nice.

So Wifi is the other thing I need to get working. I read in another thread to run a script wireless-info. I attached the info from that script. Is that of any help for someone?

One thing I tried was to copy the nvram file from /sys/firmware/efi/efivars to /lib/firmware/brcm. First try was to brcmfmac43340-sdio.txt. Then I tried brcmfmac4386-sdio.txt (because I found 4386 as device id in the nvram file). But nothing changed. Any idea how to find out, what the correct file name is? Or do I have to anything more?

Thanks for any suggestions

Claus
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

I also have Ubuntu Mate 16.04 installed and running really nice. Upgraded to kernel 4.6.3 still no wireless, bluetooth or sound. Any help would really be appreciated.
    Attached is the results of the wireless script (wireless-info.txt)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by movienut50; July 4th, 2016 at 06:18 PM.

Beans

Sooo, No one having any luck with linux drivers for the wireless on the T100HA?

Beans

We have not the Wifi Bluetooth and Two Camera Driver.
    Welcome to the Jungle..

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast