Thread: Google CHrome Dissapered

Beans

Google CHrome Dissapered

Was trying to watch Netflix with chrome.
    For some reason tonight I was told to go to crome://componets and update widvieCMD.
    couldn't find it in the components, CHROME page tells me to uninstall and re-install.

After Un-Installing it, I reboot, go to Synaptic and search for Google Chrome...

It's not there.

1) What Happened?
    2)Where is CHROME
    3) how can I watch Netflix

Thanks

Beans

Re: Google CHrome Dissapered

Do u have 32-Bit or 64-Bit system Architecture?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Google Chrome isn't and never was in the Ubuntu repositories, Chromium is. The usual installation process for Google Chrome is to download the deb file. Installing the said deb file also adds an additional repository and that why it is updated automatically like any other installed software but when uninstalled, depending on the method, such software source is also removed thus preventing any further (re)installation through apt of which Synaptic, Ubuntu Software Centre and others are just frontends.

In a nutshell, you have a fundamental misunderstanding and/or confusion. If you need Google Chrome again then please just do what you did in the first place: Download and install the deb file from Google.
    Galiza Nação!

Beans

@Vladenin5000: Correct! see bugreport -> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-we...t/+bug/1516374
    Title: Google Chrome is listed as available app on website

Why am I asking for the Architecture? Think I read recently Google will stop support for 32-Bit Chrome. Just can't remember where and when.

Beans
    Distro

Indeed: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/01/g...t-discontinued
    This however doesn't affect Chromium.

The issue in the OP is uninstalling and then being unable to reinstall.
    Galiza Nação!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Chrome adds repositories when installed.
    Look at the Software and Updates program and see if those are still there.
    They would be listed in the other software section.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by St_Vi View Post
    Was trying to watch Netflix with chrome.
    For some reason tonight I was told to go to crome://componets and update widvieCMD.
    couldn't find it in the components, CHROME page tells me to uninstall and re-install.

After Un-Installing it, I reboot, go to Synaptic and search for Google Chrome...

It's not there.

1) What Happened?
    2)Where is CHROME
    3) how can I watch Netflix

Thanks
    Hi

Help others help you. The latest updated chrome plays netflix fine.

Who/What told you to go to chrome://components ? And what errors did you get before this?

Who/What told you to reinstall Chrome ? And what errors did you get before this?

How did you install chrome in the first place and which one did you install (stable/beta) ?

In order to get the speediest help on these forums include as much detail as you can as what has led to the problem, what you have changed since/before the problem started, what you have tried and any error messages you have had.

Beans

Thank you everybody for the replies.
    What got me confused was the fact that i could un-install chrome-stable from synatic. I was then surprised I couldn't find it to re-install it.
    After a search of my HDD i found the original DEB package and re-installed it. now all is good.

How this all started was, in the afternoon i did a software update. Then at night when i tried to watch a Netflix show i got a page saying:

Woops, something went wrong...
    Missing component
    We cannot find all the riquired components to play Netflix on this device. Please visit
    chrome://components, locate the WidevinCdm component, and click the "check for update"
    buton
    Error code: M7702-1003

Anyway all is good now
    Thank you all

Beans
    Distro

Make sure your system is fully updated whenever such weird messages pop up. With the Google repository, added when you installed the deb, Google Chrome will be updated like any other software.
    Galiza Nação!