Page 2 of 100 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Arch Linux Talk

Beans

Re: My Arch Linux Expericence...

Quote Originally Posted by xXx 0wn3d xXx
    It is like Gentoo, because it compiles all packages from source.
    Others have addressed this

Installation:
    Installing Arch Linux is very difficult. There is no graphical or even ncurses install at all. Everything is text based.
    Ncurses IS text based, in fact the arch installation is ncurses based

Booting up:
    When you boot Arch, there is no splash screen, making you think: "Great I messed it up." There is no splash in Arch because it aims to be simple, cutting-edge, and fast.
    What splash screen do you mean? A boot splash? There's no boot splash because Arch has the philosphy of giving you the minimum and you add what you want as opposed to, say, ubuntu which gives you a tonne of stuff and you need to strip out what you don't want. I guess you must be fairly new to Linux if this is the first time you've seen a system boot with no boot splash. Anyway, check the Arch wiki for gensplash/fbsplash and you can get a great boot splash easily

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by egon spengler
    Others have addressed this

Ncurses IS text based, in fact the arch installation is ncurses based

What splash screen do you mean? A boot splash? There's no boot splash because Arch has the philosphy of giving you the minimum and you add what you want as opposed to, say, ubuntu which gives you a tonne of stuff and you need to strip out what you don't want. I guess you must be fairly new to Linux if this is the first time you've seen a system boot with no boot splash. Anyway, check the Arch wiki for gensplash/fbsplash and you can get a great boot splash easily

Why must someone be new to linux just cause they say there's not splash screen. FYI Ubuntu at one point did not boot with a splash screen. so to make a statement that one must be new to linux based souly on not seeing a splash screen is uncalled for, and untrue.
    Advantages and Disadvantages of 64bit.(Plus install Guides)

‘In search of some small measure of peace, that we all seek, and few of us ever find.’

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SD-Plissken
    FYI Ubuntu at one point did not boot with a splash screen. so to make a statement that one must be new to linux based souly on not seeing a splash screen is uncalled for, and untrue.
    That's exactly my point son, until Oct last year ubuntu didn't have a splash screen (officially at least) ergo would you not conclude from that tidbit of info that someone on an ubuntu forum surprised to not see a boot splash has most likely not been using Linux that long?

And as far as it being "uncalled for" it's not really an insult to say someone is new to Linux is it? I'm new to using Arch, I'm new to using Subversion at work and I'm new at trying to fathom what it is that you think is untrue. I don't consider any of that something to be ashamed of

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Ok, I'm installing Gentoo now. I can't believe how many options there were. I like how many options and questions it gives. The live cd comes with gnome, kde, xfce, and many other desktop enviroments and window managers. And to the person who stated that I must be new to Linux, that is not true. I have used Linux for 7 months.

Beans

Ok, I'm installing Gentoo now. I can't believe how many options there were. I like how many options and questions it gives. The live cd comes with gnome, kde, xfce, and many other desktop enviroments and window managers. And to the person who stated that I must be new to Linux, that is not true. I have used Linux for 7 months.
    It's good to hear the install is going good for you.

I'm going to do my install when I get home from work.

Gentoo is simply awesome!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by egon spengler
    That's exactly my point son, until Oct last year ubuntu didn't have a splash screen (officially at least) ergo would you not conclude from that tidbit of info that someone on an ubuntu forum surprised to not see a boot splash has most likely not been using Linux that long?

And as far as it being "uncalled for" it's not really an insult to say someone is new to Linux is it? I'm new to using Arch, I'm new to using Subversion at work and I'm new at trying to fathom what it is that you think is untrue. I don't consider any of that something to be ashamed of

Frist off i'm not your son. second the OP could have been using some other form or linux that did have a bootsplash which there are many. so to make the assumption is wrong. however it's your opinionas well as your assumption, and it's between you, and the OP. I spoke my peace on it.

‘In search of some small measure of peace, that we all seek, and few of us ever find.’

Beans

Even I know that bootslashes are a somewhat recent addition to Linux, anyone who has been using Linux for some time would not be shocked to see no boot splash. That's not assumption or opinion, it's simple deductive reasoning.

From you bringing up Hoary lacking a splash as somehow countering my point that splashes are a more recent development I can see that perhaps reason is something that you might be new to. But hey, as I already said, there si nothing wrong with being new to something. In fact you might note that the OP didn't seem to get his feelings hurt by the comment

Beans
    Hidden!

egon spengler feel what you want this topic is done. take up your thought with OP. as your feelings seems to be the only right one.

Beans

I don't have anything to "take up" with the thread starter. I made a comment which can I sincerely assure was not intended as pejorative and I honestly was very surprised to see you leap to his defence from my heinous non accusation.

Now you seem to feel commited to informing me how little you care and don't intend to respond. I think we both know that there is close to zero chance of you not responding again so of course, feel free to remind me once more that you won't respond

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Let's not take the thread off topic with silly bickering...back to discussing the OP's experience with Arch Linux and his related new experience with Gentoo and we can all stop defending one another and ourselves for now, okay? In simpler words...let go and move on.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Page 2 of 100 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast