Page 1 of 100 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Arch Linux Talk

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Arch Linux Talk

Yesterday, I decided to install Archlinux. Ranked number 20 at distrowatch, Arch is optimized for i686 (Pentium 2+) processors and uses the pacman package manager. It is like Gentoo, because it compiles all packages from source. So here is how I thought Arch Linux was.

Installation:
    Installing Arch Linux is very difficult. There is no graphical or even ncurses install at all. Everything is text based. I partitioned my HDD to make room, and then I proceded to install the base system. While X packages and such are on the cd you must install the base system first and then install x and gnome later. I found a great guide here that was very useful.

Booting up:
    When you boot Arch, there is no splash screen, making you think: "Great I messed it up." There is no splash in Arch because it aims to be simple, cutting-edge, and fast. Boot was very fast too. My computer started in about 25-30 seconds (from just after grub to a fully usable desktop) because Arch compiles everything from source, optimizing it for your system. It was great having something so fast.

Installing software:
    Installing something from source is as easy as running "pacman -S program." Arch uses the pacman package manager and it was great. It was fast, simple, and it gets the job done. In seconds the program I wanted was installed and ready to use.

Setting up the system
    Arch is very nice but it is very difficult to setup. I couldn't get my wireless working with ndiswrapper, due to a problem in the Arch kernel. On top of that, Arch did not detect my USB devices such as my PSP and Ipod.

Overall:
    Arch is great but it is still getting there. It's really great but a little complex and difficult to use. My rating of Archlinux is 8/10. Now, I am getting ready to try Gentoo.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: My Arch Linux Expericence...

It is like Gentoo, because it compiles all packages from source.
    It isn't. It is a binary distro like Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!

Like kabus said, Arch is a binary distribution, though you can build your own packages from source using ABS.

Beans

Arch primary choice of installing new software is through pacman, and that is installing BINARY, not source. You can very easily install source packages through ABS (arch build system) though...
    Arch recognized all my usb perhapsials though... Are you sure you have udev, and hal deamons added (and in the right order) in deamons array?

Beans
    Hidden!

hmm, sounds kind of cool
    I like the idea of installing programs with 'pacman'

Arch was/is one of those distros I really never gave a fair chance. I like the sound of fast and clean.

One day anyway

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xXx 0wn3d xXx
    Yesterday, I decided to install Archlinux. Ranked number 20 at distrowatch, Arch is optimized for i686 (Pentium 2+) processors and uses the pacman package manager. It is like Gentoo, because it compiles all packages from source. So here is how I thought Arch Linux was.

Installation:
    Installing Arch Linux is very difficult. There is no graphical or even ncurses install at all. Everything is text based. I partitioned my HDD to make room, and then I proceded to install the base system. While X packages and such are on the cd you must install the base system first and then install x and gnome later. I found a great guide here that was very useful.

Booting up:
    When you boot Arch, there is no splash screen, making you think: "Great I messed it up." There is no splash in Arch because it aims to be simple, cutting-edge, and fast. Boot was very fast too. My computer started in about 25-30 seconds (from just after grub to a fully usable desktop) because Arch compiles everything from source, optimizing it for your system. It was great having something so fast.

Installing software:
    Installing something from source is as easy as running "pacman -S program." Arch uses the pacman package manager and it was great. It was fast, simple, and it gets the job done. In seconds the program I wanted was installed and ready to use.

Arch is very nice but it is very difficult to setup. I couldn't get my wireless working with ndiswrapper, due to a problem in the Arch kernel. On top of that, Arch did not detect my USB devices such as my PSP and Ipod.

Overall:
    Arch is great but it is still getting there. It's really great but a little complex and difficult to use. My rating of Archlinux is 8/10. Now, I am getting ready to try Gentoo.

My advice is to just use Gentoo,...I tried the live CD on my EM64T and it was smooth and flawless, detected all hardware, razer mouse, surround sound speakers, etc.

Gentoo is a beautiful distro.

Thanks for posting your problems with Arch, I have been wondering about it. I think I will skip on it and stick with Ubuntu and Gentoo.
    Last edited by RAV TUX; June 11th, 2006 at 08:23 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by yozef
    My advice is to just use Gentoo,...I tried the live CD on my EM64T and it was smooth and flawless, detected all hardware, razer mouse, surround sound speakers, etc.

Gentoo is a beautiful distro.

Thanks for posting your problems with Arch, I have wondering about it. I think I will skip on it and stick with Ubuntu and Gentoo.
    I'm getting ready to try the Gentoo live cd and possibly install it. How difficult is it to learn and use ?

Beans

I'm getting ready to try the Gentoo live cd and possibly install it. How difficult is it to learn and use ?
    Gentoo is not difficult at all to learn to use. No worries you'll be fine and the Gentoo Forums are very responsive and helpful(a lot like the Ubuntu forums here). Have fun.

I am sure you will be pleased.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by yozef
    Gentoo is not difficult at all to learn to use. No worries you'll be fine and the Gentoo Forums are very responsive and helpful(a lot like the Ubuntu forums here). Have fun.

I am sure you will be pleased.
    Thanks for the reassurance. The live cd was very nice so I have decided to install it.

Beans

Thanks for the reassurance. The live cd was very nice so I have decided to install it.
    cool,...please follow up in this thread and let us know how things are progressing for you. I have only run the live CD but I will probably do the install soon.

I plan to dual-boot:
    XPsp2/Gentoo on my EM64T

I run Ubuntu exclusively on my second older computer.

Page 1 of 100 1231151 ... LastLast