Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Resolution issues after update

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Resolution issues after update

So I installed the DP/DVI converter, now it works with 1080p resolution on the monitor that previously didn't work...
    Sure would like to know whats going on here so I would be able to fix it if it happens again...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Just a note-- This is what I see.

XServer, on init does a hardware probe where it searches for connected monitors and looks for the EDID of what was connected. In his initial xorg.0.log that he posted, I did not see where XSever saw a monitor or EDID... but did say that it gave a config for a default montior. So it saw something, but not all. If it did not see anything at all, it would have turned that port off. (Would not have gotten 1024x786)

Experience has shown me that a monitor can lose it's EDID in a moment... so is possible.

If the Op does not get xrandr back from that connected monitor, but does from the other two... then it could be that the EDID is corrupted on that monitor. XServer uses that EDID to help define the modelines of what it can do. He still needs to post his Xrandr results... which I still do not see.

If that is the problem, contact me and I'll tell of a work-around. If it is, that is not the end of the world for that monitor... but would be some work to manually define what it can do. There no secret to it, you just supply an xorg.conf that says to ignore the EDID and use user configured modelines for the resolutions he wants // that the model of monitor is capable of displaying.

Edit-- DP/DVI converter? So a plug converter or digital conversion device? Each would explain different things about that monitor.

If a plug converter, then it would have to do about the physical connection, completing the circuit to get the right info through. If a digital converter, then it has to do about the conversion device providing XServer the info of capabilities (rather than the monitor). Also if you are using a different port on that monitor, because of the converter...
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; February 15th, 2016 at 11:32 PM.
    Concurrent coexistance of Windows, Linux and Unix...
    Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks for the input!

I got xrandr back from the monitor while it was plugged in via VGA, but I only go low resolution, not full HD...

The DP/DVI is just a cable with different ports in each end, might be some electronics in there, but there is no external power going into it, so I assume it isn't.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

So... Here is the what...
    -You were connected from your PC (VGA port) to that monitor (before the adapter) through the monitor's VGA Port and it fails.
    -- But when your connected to two other monitors via VGA they worked, so your vga port on your PC is good...
    - When you plug form your PC (DP) to your motor's DVI Port, then it works.

^Right? If the above is true, then: In a monitor with HDMI and VGA ports, the VGA is analog / The DVI is digital... The conclusion is that the analog section of the monitor is boinked, but it is still working on the digital side...

It still has some life left to it.
    Concurrent coexistance of Windows, Linux and Unix...
    Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I don't know if this will make me banned from this forum, but, it works in, ehm, windows...
    I have dual boot on the computer, and booting it into Win10, well the monitor works in full HD over VGA.

Don't know if wine uses the EDID info though...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Why would that get you banned? It's a factual statement.

Now, going off on a rant with foul language would be a different matter.

Remember that the fact that something works in Windows may be diagnostic, but what works in Windows is not necessarily an indication that it must work in Linux. And yes, Wine does complicate things.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Well, after I booted into Win10, I rebooted it to Ubuntu again and continued working. Yesterday I just realized that it was still connected to the VGA port, and the monitor was displaying in full HD without any issue. Beats me!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12