Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NFS write speeds

Beans

NFS write speeds

While writing to an NFS drive with nautilus I am obtaining a write speed of 27 kB/sec. The drive is capable of 131 MB/sec. When I test write speed of the drive from the client with dd, I get 47.2 MB/sec.

What would be causing this hit on performace? Is it with nautilus?

/etc/exports :
    Code:
    /drives/main/share      192.168.1.0/24(rw,sync,no_root_squash)
    /etc/fstab :
    Code:
    192.168.1.1:/drives/main/share	/networkdrive	nfs	rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr 	0	0
    Thanks in advance!

Beans

Re: NFS write speeds

After having experimented more with this, dd is the only command that runs at a reasonable speed. Tools such as gcp also share the decreased speed.

Beans

You're moving the files over the network, right? Your performance will be limited by the network speed. Are you using Gigabit Ethernet or something slower like 100BT or, worse, wifi? It doesn't look like you're using TCP for the NFS transport, but if you are, you'll have the additional overhead of reply packets (ACKs) being sent upstream by the client. UDP should just blast the data as fast as it can.

Wifi is an especially poor conduit as it uses half-duplex. That means it has to "turn the line around" periodically.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    You're moving the files over the network, right? Your performance will be limited by the network speed. Are you using Gigabit Ethernet or something slower like 100BT or, worse, wifi? It doesn't look like you're using TCP for the NFS transport, but if you are, you'll have the additional overhead of reply packets (ACKs) being sent upstream by the client. UDP should just blast the data as fast as it can.

Wifi is an especially poor conduit as it uses half-duplex. That means it has to "turn the line around" periodically.
    Naturally, and I am on gigabit with CAT5e and with dd I am getting 50 MB/s. When I was using samba I had nearly 100 MB/s. I had NFS at that speed for about a week but now it is slow again.

Beans

Things don't slow down on their own. Is there other network traffic that might be consuming the server's connection? I'm running out of ideas here.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Things don't slow down on their own. Is there other network traffic that might be consuming the server's connection? I'm running out of ideas here.
    Yeah I know what you mean, I have been scratching my head over this for a while. This server also acts as my router using dnsmasq, but it has been doing that since the beginning so I don't imagine it would bring it to that much of a crawl.

One of the drives in the RAID (in the server) failed and I thought it was that causing it, but it was not.

Beans

I just noticed that when copying normal files I get the desired speed but when I copy steam game files, it goes slowly. Why is it that steam game folders cause it to run slowly? Is it all the soft linking?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Could the "sync" option in exports slow things down. Does the client/server have to wait until a block is written before the next block is sent. async may work better.

You mentioned that copying normal files is fast. Could there be a compression happening? nfs4 has encryption (that needs enabled), is encryption running? Steam game files are compressed images aren't they? Is there a way of removing compression on jpegs etc, since images are already compressed. rsync has a file that stops compression on image files, does nfs have the same?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lensman3 View Post
    Could the "sync" option in exports slow things down. Does the client/server have to wait until a block is written before the next block is sent. async may work better.

You mentioned that copying normal files is fast. Could there be a compression happening? nfs4 has encryption (that needs enabled), is encryption running? Steam game files are compressed images aren't they? Is there a way of removing compression on jpegs etc, since images are already compressed. rsync has a file that stops compression on image files, does nfs have the same?
    I'll try the async, but I do not have encryption and the steam files may contain some compressed images but I do not think that would slow it down so much. And I do not understand what you mean with the rsync file.

Thanks for the answer and I will try it when i get the chance!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

rsync is a network backup program. It has a file that is read when it is compiled that specifies which files are NOT to be compressed during file transfer. So a gif or tiff, which are already heavily compressed, should not compressed again resulting very little benefit. For example, "sftp" compresses some files as it transfers them for faster throughput. But if a file is already compressed, compressing it again can actually make it bigger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast