Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SUSE Talk

Beans

Re: SuSE user looking for help

Quote Originally Posted by Turin Turambar
    I love SuSE, but - it's slower than I expected (Athlon 2600+ 512RAM), and - at first I liked KDE very much, but somehow I now feel it has too much in it. It's clogged with features... it's definitely more eyecandy than Gnome, but Gnome seems cleaner to me.

If thats what you believe then....welcome to Ubuntu. you'll like it.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Just to let everyone know - I am now a dedicated Ubuntu user! Who-ho!
    No really, it's great. And I managed to install everything I wanted with my trusty ol' modem!
    Ubuntu is definitely faster, more usable. SuSE is good, really, but clogged with features.
    And Gnome - at first I didn't like it, then moved on to SuSE & KDE and now I gave it a 2nd chance with Ubuntu and I absolutely love it!
    Last edited by Turin Turambar; April 21st, 2005 at 01:22 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Great! It's always great to hear these success stories, no matter how many I see

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I used SuSE 9.1 and 9.2 pro. As far as YAST, it was ok. It did a few things well. I used apt and Synaptic on SuSE so it was a welcome sight in ubuntu. The best part is that I didn't have to find a bunch of rpm packages to get apt and Synaptic working. It was already there.

The only thing I miss from SuSE is the SAX utility. It made for much easier management of screen resolution and video drivers. Oh well, a minor issue compared to the benefits of ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by NaplesBill
    I used SuSE 9.1 and 9.2 pro. As far as YAST, it was ok. It did a few things well. I used apt and Synaptic on SuSE so it was a welcome sight in ubuntu. The best part is that I didn't have to find a bunch of rpm packages to get apt and Synaptic working. It was already there.

The only thing I miss from SuSE is the SAX utility. It made for much easier management of screen resolution and video drivers. Oh well, a minor issue compared to the benefits of ubuntu.
    yes... i also miss SAX...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Yes, but once you configured xorg.conf, you don't really need Sax that much.
    Besides, my xorg.conf has never been more polished (manually edited, yes!) and for the first time, my fglrx ATI drivers work, thanks to the tips I found on this site!

Oh yeah, Ubuntu has the best community I've seen for one OS!

Beans

"Oh yeah, Ubuntu has the best community I've seen for one OS! "

That is fantastic to hear , thanks heaps
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Turin Turambar
    Yes, but once you configured xorg.conf, you don't really need Sax that much.
    Besides, my xorg.conf has never been more polished (manually edited, yes!) and for the first time, my fglrx ATI drivers work, thanks to the tips I found on this site!

Oh yeah, Ubuntu has the best community I've seen for one OS!
    Well, I'm not one to leave well enough alone and SAX has a "test" button that allows you to try before you save the settings. I'm currently using the integrated AGP graphics(IGP) but plan to eventually get another AGP card. I'm using my Radeon X800 PRO for my HTPC machine.

I totally agree about this community though, simply amazing group of people if you ask me!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by NaplesBill
    Well, I'm not one to leave well enough alone and SAX has a "test" button that allows you to try before you save the settings.
    Unfortunately, SaX's test doesn't always show the right thing, so you cannot relay on it everytime.
    For example, when I set "enable fast writes", the test has shown normal screen.
    However, after I rebooted SuSE, I could not see anything, as the screen was totally black.

It's really great to see moderators here that really care.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Suse Help

I recently installed OpenSuSE 10.0 and I didn't like it. I am planning to install OpenSuSE 10.1rc2. Is there a way to do a net install with it and will it be able to resize my breezy partition and install it to that partition ? (It will be about 15 gb)
    I have already burned the boot.iso.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast