Thread: Really need help with Ubuntu installation

Beans

Really need help with Ubuntu installation

So, I've been trying to install Ubuntu 15.10 again on my desktop, but I keep getting multiple errors, trust me, I've tried every possible way to make a bootable USB flash drive (sorry I didn't mention before). Right now I can't burn a DVD neither read one, because my DVD reader broke, so I HAVE TO make a bootable usb device. I used unetbootin, Win32DiskImager (but i'm not sure if I used it's full potential), Universal USB Installer a few times and another program wich I don't remember the name.
    I keep getting different errors every single time.
    The info you need:

MSI H87-G43 MILITARY CLASS
    I5 4670 (3.3 gHz if i'm not mistaken)
    4GB RAM
    GTX 550 Ti 1GB VRAM
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

I'd really enjoy if you guys could help me.
    I thank every one of you in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Really need help with Ubuntu installation

Hi and welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco_Antonio View Post
    I keep getting different errors every single time.
    OK, would you mind giving more details, examples of the errors, ... ?
    Galiza Nação!

Beans

I'll list a few of them, but almost every time I get a different, I think the most commons are these: isolinux.bin missing or corrupted; invalid magic number; could not find kernel image: linux.
    So i will boot again and report the error that I'll get this time and the USB burner that i'll use
    btw thank u for the quick response

Beans
    Distro

Have you tried a different USB stick? Considering those errors that's the first thing I would do, that and try different USB ports, of course... And if you're doing it from Windows then I'd recommend Rufus.
    Now, with Rufus, you'll notice the "Partition scheme and target system type" in which, assuming you want dual-boot with Windows 7, you should choose accordingly to how Windows 7 has been installed* - MBR/Legacy (BIOS) or GPT/UEFI.

* It depends on the UEFI settings -and- the type of media you used to install Windows: If DVD then Legacy.
    Galiza Nação!

Beans

So...
    I actually used Rufus 2.6.818 , and i'll describe how I configured it.
    I chose MBR Partition for BIOS or UEFI, formatted it on FAT32. Used Ubuntu 15.10amd64 iso
    When I hit start, it said that the version which I had didn't have the needed files, so I pressed download and install and it started doing its job.

I rebooted it and had to take the flash disk out and put it back, because the mobo hadn't recognized it before, so I finally came to the error "Failed to load ldlinux.c32"

As for the dual boot and windows installation I don't know much, but if it's necessary, I would remove windows and use only Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro

Again, that USB stick seems busted. And you should verify your download, Rufus complaining of missing files is NOT normal.
    Galiza Nação!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

on windows - use H2testw or Check Flash 1.16 maybe also Microsoft USB Test Tool (MUTT) , USB Flash Drive Tester (I used this one) to test the USB. if all is good you then need to check the md5sum of downloaded file https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup (suitable for older PCs): Redobackup Less friendly disk backup (works on new PC): Clonezilla

Beans

got it, guys.
    I bought a san disk 8gb flash drive and managed to boot fine, thx for the help