Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed end of Ubuntu 32 bit images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Proposed end of Ubuntu 32 bit images

Quote Originally Posted by len-ovenwerks View Post
    One question. I have a server running 32bit. There are rather a lot setting I would like to keep. So far I have been able to just upgrade from version to the next. Does Ubuntu have some way for people to migrate from 32bit to 64bit? Something reasonably automated? Even an install 64bit in one partition(s) point to 32bit partition(s) migrate settings.
    No.
    But then again, there would be no need, as 32-bit server edition should still be around.
    The discussion here is/was about Ubuntu's desktop dropping the 32-bit version.
    Should not affect servers in any way.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I feel it's probably right to drop the 32-bit Ubuntu package, since the 3D acceleration required by Unity is very demanding for a lot of older netbooks/laptops. These tend to have onboard graphics chips; some have the GPU contained within the CPU (an Accelerated Processing Unit), but not many.

My own 14-yr old Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop has problems even with the 32-bit version of Ubuntu, due to the dreadful Intel 'Extreme' graphics chip it's fitted with. Xubuntu, however, runs sweetly (if a wee bit slowly), and I certainly hope support is maintained for the 32-bit version for the forseeable future.

Mike.
    Compaq Presario SR1619UK, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'X-Slacko' & 'Slacko'
    Dell Inspiron 1100, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'TahrPup' & 'Precise'

IF
    the advice given has helped you, PLEASE have the courtesy to post back and say 'Thank you'..!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Cool Re: Proposed end of Ubuntu 32 bit images

Hello All,

Yes i agree Ubuntu should drop support for 32 Bit systems i mean the 32 Bit system is going to expire in what, was it? forgive me if a i am wrong in the 2020's!
    due to the UNIX clock, i have forgotten the proper term for it. But no one seems to use 32 Bit system anymore anyway it is like using a 16 Bit system, but then again it is all up to the developers.

I mean 64 Bit is the standard now and soon hopefully 128 Bit systems will come out but that will probably be in another few decades anyway commercially anyway.
    But whatever happens i am happy on my 64 Bit system.

Happy Linuxing.

"Linux Ubuntu the final frontier!"
    -UbuntuAddict99

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Hey, at least options will remain. RedHat and openSUSE both dropped 32bit. Worse case scenario one could always run Debian for old or low powered boxes. I have Ubuntu on a 7 year old desktop HP AMD Athlon II 800mgz, 8GB RAM, handles it pretty well. Debian is on a very old (10+, cant remember exactly) Gateway laptop and it runs well with Xfce. Might try Xubuntu on their one day, just havent seen the need since its had Debian on since Deb. 5 Lenny.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by UbuntuAddict99 View Post
    the 32 Bit system is going to expire in what, was it? forgive me if a i am wrong in the 2020's!
    due to the UNIX clock, i have forgotten the proper term for it.

Quote Originally Posted by UbuntuAddict99 View Post
    But no one seems to use 32 Bit system anymore anyway it is like using a 16 Bit system, but then again it is all up to the developers.
    And it's up to us who can try to convince them.

Lots of people use 32 bit systems. There is so much old hardware out there that can and should be kept running for many years to come.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Various ATOM CPU's for example that are not that old to be thrown away yet are actually 32 bit only. we are talking about 4, 5 year old CPU's (released 4 or 5 years ago and then probably last sold 3 years ago or are even sitll out on the market) used in netbooks and ITX boards (e.g. for some home theater) e.g.: http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=47

for example https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Atom :
    Intel states the Atom supports 64-bit operation only "with a processor, chipset, BIOS" that all support Intel 64. Those Atom systems not supporting all of these cannot enable Intel 64.[22] As a result, the ability of an Atom-based system to run 64-bit versions of operating systems such as Ubuntu or Debian GNU/Linux may vary from one motherboard to another. Online retailer mini-itx.com has tested Atom-based motherboards made by Intel and Jetway, and while they were able to install 64-bit versions of Linux on Intel-branded motherboards with D2700 (Cedarview) processors, Intel 64 support was not enabled on a Jetway-branded motherboard with a D2550 (Cedarview) processor.[23]

Even among Atom-based systems which have Intel 64 enabled, not all are able to run 64-bit versions of Microsoft Windows. For those Pineview processors which support 64-bit operation, Intel Download Center currently provides 64-bit Windows 7 and Windows Vista drivers for Intel GMA 3150 graphics, found in Pineview processors.[24] However, no 64-bit Windows drivers are available for Intel Atom Cedarview processors, released Q3 2011.[25] However, Intel's Bay Trail-M processors, built on the Silvermont microarchitecture and released in the second half of 2013, regain 64-bit support, although driver support for Linux and Windows 7 is limited at launch.[
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Absolutely.
    A special 'Atom' edition could be created with performance tweaks simply for that processor set, I know of a few programs such as Pale Moon which have done this for Windows XP.

I agree, 32-bit needs to go, although would this affect other distros? The purpose I think for Lubuntu is to run in older machines, correct?

Beans

32-bit needs to go, although would this affect other distros?
    AFAIK it would only effect Ubuntu desktop versions. 32 bit server builds will still be available and each flavor will have the option to maintain a 32 bit version if they wish.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If I can participate my answer is no! I think that if many distros can support on different flavours the 32 Bit systems is better for all :
    1- many machines only accept this architecture type Kernel + system configs.
    2- Reuse machines and maintain these old hardaware active to more or less use , and in some cases this fact can be important many people dont have money to buy new pcs , many people maybe receive this machines by associations like Emmabuntus or others and this associations installs Linux to people with poor economic resources and offer the computers and many of this machines obviously is provided by people that substitute the pcs with others because they can pay and share the old pc for others, schoolls, people around world , associations.... many of them can need the GNU/Linux support for 32 and this can make difference between can access to TI, digital society and literacy on web or not!
    Ubuntu I think have the resposability to support this ideal and this great opportunity tha GNU/Linux brings to us, the model in windos is pay a new machine and system 5 after 5 years - I hope this model of work dont arrive to Ubuntu.

I understand if the default Unity Ubuntu only can support x86_64 or 64 , but I dont feel this happy , or good because I think that then the other flavours make the same decision or the same proposal and release after release the old 32 bis pcs lost the place on the offer of GNU/Linux.

But if is guaranteed that for example Lubuntu is totally compromised with the objective to maintain 32 bits support then I think that the Fact of Ubuntu Uity is or not 32 bit compatible is a minor question!
    I hope that all understand my words.
    Thanks.
    Ubuntu with me & me with Ubuntu! my GNU/Linux https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DerivativeTe.../Flavitu-Linux

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Portaro View Post
    If I can participate my answer is no! I think that if many distros can support on different flavours the 32 Bit systems is better for all :
    1- many machines only accept this architecture type Kernel + system configs.
    2- Reuse machines and maintain these old hardaware active to more or less use , and in some cases this fact can be important many people dont have money to buy new pcs , many people maybe receive this machines by associations like Emmabuntus or others and this associations installs Linux to people with poor economic resources and offer the computers and many of this machines obviously is provided by people that substitute the pcs with others because they can pay and share the old pc for others, schoolls, people around world , associations.... many of them can need the GNU/Linux support for 32 and this can make difference between can access to TI, digital society and literacy on web or not!
    Ubuntu I think have the resposability to support this ideal and this great opportunity tha GNU/Linux brings to us, the model in windos is pay a new machine and system 5 after 5 years - I hope this model of work dont arrive to Ubuntu.

I understand if the default Unity Ubuntu only can support x86_64 or 64 , but I dont feel this happy , or good because I think that then the other flavours make the same decision or the same proposal and release after release the old 32 bis pcs lost the place on the offer of GNU/Linux.

But if is guaranteed that for example Lubuntu is totally compromised with the objective to maintain 32 bits support then I think that the Fact of Ubuntu Uity is or not 32 bit compatible is a minor question!
    I hope that all understand my words.
    Thanks.
    I think you're missing the point. Ubuntu w/Unity, Ubuntu GNOME, and Kubuntu are no longer suitable for "older" hardware anyway. There would still be a 32 bit version of Ubuntu server edition so the 32 bit kernel would still be alive and well. Those flavors that require less in regards to graphics acceleration and such would easily be able to opt into producing 32 images. It's also important to remember that Ubuntu 16.04 is supported until April 2021, that's a long ways off

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast