Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: tried upgrading to lubuntu 14.04 and now nothing works

Beans

tried upgrading to lubuntu 14.04 and now nothing works

Someone here suggested I upgrade to lubuntu 15.xx, but my package manager suggested I upgrade to 14.04. It took several hours, gave some error messages, and finally I get a blank screen after restarting the computer. It asks if I want to report the system error (I said yes). What to do? I was able to press ctl alt delete and see running processes, but that is about it.

Beans

Re: tried upgrading to lubuntu 14.04 and now nothing works

More information about 'some error messages' would really help. We are not psychic.
    If you have any files in /var/crash, please attach the most recent to this thread.

In your previous thread you had perhaps out-of-memory issues while running a CPU-intensive job overnight. You upgraded from 12.04 to 14.04 before investigating. Perhaps you have bad RAM, perhaps you have a loose disk cable or a dying hard drive or many other possible hardware (or software) issues.

We can help you rule out many possible causes...if you are willing.
    Last edited by ian-weisser; February 4th, 2016 at 04:27 AM.

Beans

Thanks, ian. I can't access any files now. When I first turn on the computer, I get "error:file not found. Press any key to continue". I press a key, I get the login box, I login. Then a box appears saying "system program problem detected, do you want to report the problem now?" Then nothing-blank screen. Maybe I should download 14.04 on another computer then transfer through a memory stick. How to do that? Will it try booting off the memory stick by default?

I have a guess of what might have gone wrong. I had a usb wifi stick connected and didn't disconnect it till after it failed to boot. Maybe it was trying to boot from it?

Beans

To be more precise, the screen is not completely blank. It has the mouse cursor and some Lubuntu swirly ribbons on it and it's blue.

Beans

I don't think I have bad ram because I didn't see that when I ran the diagnostics prior to this OS "upgrade". Mathematica was crashing because I am doing some intensive General Relativity calculations in 5 dimensions that require more memory than I had in RAM, it tried using virtual memory (which means from the hard drive, right?) and it ran out of that as well, or was thrashing and another process caught it and killed it

Beans

Anyway, please advise on what I should do, to hopefully reinstall and not lose my data.

Beans

See Post #2. More information on those errors, and the most recent .crash file, if any.

Beans

How do I access any information? I can't do anything. Is there a way to input something before it boots to get me a terminal screen?

Beans

There are no menus available. Is there some key combination that pops up a terminal?

Beans

If you cannot login to a graphical desktop, you cannot copy-and-paste text into a web browser. That will slow you down a lot.

You have a couple options.

1) You can boot your LiveInstall media ('Try Ubuntu') to get to a graphical desktop. Mount your hard drive, and proceed from there.

2) You can reinstall again, and take detailed notes of the error messages (if any).

Let us know which way you want.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast