Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: tried upgrading to lubuntu 14.04 and now nothing works

Beans

Re: tried upgrading to lubuntu 14.04 and now nothing works

So based on this diagnostic, what should I do? Do I need to replace hard drive, or is the bad sector repairable?

Beans

to clarify: I did not ask for a memtest, I just told the menu to boot from USB, then the only option on the next menu was "default". When I selected that it gave me the same output as previously when I was asking for a memtest. Is it trying to do a memtest but the memory is loaded with something else (first it was the live debian, now the super GRUB 2) so it crashes? In which case it should not allow you to do a memtest when you are booting from usb?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Is it possible it's trying to install grub to the USB?
    - Tom
    Usually on the latest version of Ubuntu, Lubuntu...

Beans

Hell if I know, Tom. I can't really see the output because of the looping, but I do see the seffault. I don't know how I was supposed to use the super GRUB2. Perhaps once I have the hard drive loaded with everything else and the regular GRUB fails, then I should load the super GRUB2 iso file from another usb? But maybe all this is moot now that I found a bad sector on my hard drive? Maybe I just need to deal with that? How?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

You can mark bad sectors as unusable and continue to use the disk, but I've found once you have bad sectors, you have a bad disk and it's only a matter of time.

You can try to mark the sectors as bad and continue on. Try this page. but if it's messing up grub, I don't know if it will work. no harm in trying, however.

Or you can bite the bullet and get a new hd. You'll probably be in good shape if you do. New RAM and new hard disk.
    - Tom

Beans

I am having my friend from CA mail me my extra hard drive that I left there. I already bought and installed new RAM. Can you look at that SMART report I posted and tell whether there is anything else to worry about on the hard drive? For example the Gsense measure was 2914. What does it mean? Is it something that could be bad on the motherboard?

I am also wondering what happened to the hard drive. Could it have been damaged by a thrashing Mathematica session that ran out of RAM? But then why did everything (including other less intensive Mathematica computations) still work until I tried installing lubuntu 14.04? And if the hard drive die as a result of Mathematica thrashing, as a result of not enough RAM, maybe I need to get a computer with more RAM, or can I just put in a RAM card with more Gb into the present slot?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Mostly, I have no idea.

I'd doubt Mathmatica killed your hard drive. I'm sure Ubuntu didn't. Rather, the intensive workload and then installation process uncovered problems that were lying dormant. How old is the hard drive?

I don't know too much about G-sense. Maybe someone can chime in with what is a normal rate. According to this Web page:

This parameter is considered informational by the most hardware vendors. Although degradation of this parameter can be an indicator of drive aging and/or potential electromechanical problems, it does not directly indicate imminent drive failure. Regular backup is recommended. Pay closer attention to other parameters and overall drive health.
    I suspect the actual rate is not as important as the rate's degradation over time, but this is just an inference.

Google is your friend.
    - Tom

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by furtom View Post
    You can mark bad sectors as unusable and continue to use the disk, but I've found once you have bad sectors, you have a bad disk and it's only a matter of time.

You can try to mark the sectors as bad and continue on. Try this page. but if it's messing up grub, I don't know if it will work. no harm in trying, however.

Or you can bite the bullet and get a new hd. You'll probably be in good shape if you do. New RAM and new hard disk.
    This is good advice.

Kind regards.
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans

It was not a hardware problem. It was something about the BIOS that was confusing all the installers. I'm not sure what it was but I changed a few things and was able to install lubuntu 15.02. What a waste of my time.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Congratulations. I hope you mean 15.10 and not 15.04, which is out of support.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345