Thread: Problem connecting to WiFi with a Lemur (old version) laptop

Beans

Problem connecting to WiFi with a Lemur (old version) laptop

I am not aware of anything that changed, and the following problem does not occur with my other laptops, including a System76 Gazelle netbook (all running 15.10).

Problem: the Lemur is unable to connect to our WiFi network, returning an error message saying "no secrets were submitted" (or something to that effect). This is very new, since it was connecting fine until a few hours ago, and the "secrets" are properly recorded in the entry for our network. I never touched the network software since I got the laptop years ago, so I am not 100% sure what program is actually running (network-manager?). This happens whether I am using Unity or Plasma.

Any suggestions? Without WiFi the Lemur loses an enormous chunk of usefulness!

Thank you.

Beans

Re: Problem connecting to WiFi with a Lemur (old version) laptop

On one day it suddenly worked, but then (nothing seems to have changed) we are back to "no secrets". To keep the laptop in synch with everything else I have to use my phone as a hotspot, but that's quite a crazy workaround. Does anybody have an idea what the problem may be or what alternate setup I should use? Maybe it will go away when I install 16.04 from scratch (which, I am afraid, I should do), but that's still some time in the future.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by fred66 View Post
    On one day it suddenly worked, but then (nothing seems to have changed) we are back to "no secrets". To keep the laptop in synch with everything else I have to use my phone as a hotspot, but that's quite a crazy workaround. Does anybody have an idea what the problem may be or what alternate setup I should use? Maybe it will go away when I install 16.04 from scratch (which, I am afraid, I should do), but that's still some time in the future.
    May be an issue with your wireless router. I had to replace mine not too long ago because it was a gigantic hassle to connect to it after a year or two.
    System76 Lemur5 (64-bit) - Antergos
    Dell Dimension 4500 (32-bit) - Win XP Pro (Down)
    Gateway NV59C (64-bit) - Ubuntu Mate 16.04
    2014 Mac mini - Sierra

Beans

Wow, I really hope that's not the case. I got this (expensive) Linksys router only a few months ago, and it seems to be doing its job. The main puzzle (to me) is that my very weak netbooks (a System76 Gazelle, now discontinued, and an ancient Asus PCeee 701), as well as my phone (an HTC One), and my wife's and children's phones (all iPhones) have no trouble whatsoever (just like the Lemur, until a few days ago).

To complete the story, the Lemur has also produced the same message (no secrets were submitted) when trying to connect to my College's WiFi. Of course, as at home, the connection had the proper passphrase saved, and typing it in on request didn't help either). I wonder if upgrading (I will go for a clean install, I am afraid) to 16.04, when it becomes available, might fix this issue, in the presumption that it's something about the Lemur/Ubuntu, and not about the router.

Beans

Well, I guess my problem could not elicit any big response. As it stands now, the Lemur occasionally is able to connect to the local WiFi, but then drops it and can't connect any more, only to get back on board hours or days later (after a shutdown/restart or not). It is sure odd, since, once again, my netbooks (including System76 own, even if dropped, Gazelle ) have no issue at all. Oh, well, better luck next time. Thanks anyway.

Beans

This problem comes and goes, and after a few days when it was gone, upon awakening from a suspend, here it is again. So I tried to use wicd instead of network-manager. No luck, but the message was "Bad Password". Of course, the password is not bad, since it woks without trouble with my two netbooks. The Lemur is running 15.10, as mentioned, and so are the netbooks. I assume it's unlikely anybody has a suggestion, but I thought I'd add this detail.