Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Realtek RTL8188CE Unstable

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Realtek RTL8188CE Unstable

The first one (in previous post) was taken with the lappy 3 feet from the wifi.

This 2nd one below is with the wifi sat next to the lappy, maybe 3 inches from the card. (antenna wire on connector 1)

Attachment 267613

On this 3rd one I have moved the antenna wire to connector 2. Wifi still only about 3 inches away.

wireless-info.txt

I had a spare antenna wire and there was a point when I had wires connected to both. But, no luck.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Your attachment doesn't show up; sorry.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Distro

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

[ 363.349573] wlan0: deauthenticating from <MAC '3MobileWiFi-b1e1' [AC1]> by local choice (Reason: 2=PREV_AUTH_NOT_VALID)
    [ 363.360088] wlan0: authenticate with <MAC '3MobileWiFi-b1e1' [AC1]>
    [ 363.370319] wlan0: send auth to <MAC '3MobileWiFi-b1e1' [AC1]> (try 1/3)
    [ 363.373715] wlan0: authenticated
    [ 363.374901] wlan0: associate with <MAC '3MobileWiFi-b1e1' [AC1]> (try 1/3)
    [ 363.378359] wlan0: RX AssocResp from <MAC '3MobileWiFi-b1e1' [AC1]> (capab=0x431 status=0 aid=1)
    [ 363.378949] wlan0: associated
    That sometimes means that your device is roaming to another ESSID with the same name and a different password. It also sometimes means that the router may have switched channels.

Let's give your device the best possible chance to connect and stay connected. First, check the settings in the router. WPA2-AES is preferred; not any WPA and WPA2 mixed mode and certainly not TKIP. Second, if your router is capable of N speeds, you may have better connectivity with a channel width of 20 MHz in the 2.4 GHz band instead of automatic 20/40 MHz, although it is likely to affect N speeds. I also have better luck with a fixed channel, either 1, 6 or 11, rather than automatic channel selection. Also, be certain the router is not set to use N speeds only; auto B, G and N is preferred. After making these changes, reboot the router.

Next, I recommend that your regulatory domain be set explicitly. Check yours:
    Code:
    sudo iw reg get
    If you get 00, that is a one-size-maybe-fits-all setting. Find yours here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1_alpha-2 Then set it temporarily:
    Code:
    sudo iw reg set IS
    Of course, substitute your country code if not Iceland. Set it permanently:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/default/crda
    Use nano or kate or leafpad if you don't have the text editor gedit.

Change the last line to read:
    Code:
    REGDOMAIN=IS
    Proofread carefully, save and close the text editor.

Next, I'd set IPv6 to Ignore in Network Manager: http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/...pv6-ignore.png This example is for ethernet, but you want wireless.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Distro

[ 363.349573] wlan0: deauthenticating from <MAC '3MobileWiFi-b1e1' [AC1]> by local choice (Reason: 2=PREV_AUTH_NOT_VALID)
    Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    That sometimes means that your device is roaming to another ESSID with the same name and a different password. It also sometimes means that the router may have switched channels
    There were 2 instances of the 3mobile connection in Network Manager. I have deleted one of them - to no avail.

With regard to the settings that you list. I have been following some of your other posts and implemented all of those some months ago. I have systematically tried each channel and at the moment it is fixed on ch 11.

You have, throughout this thread, installed, uninstalled and reinstalled rtlwifi_new. Which is this?
    I am a Linux novice and trying the things that I 'think' have made some improvement in a desperate attempt to not have to return to an environment were my wireless 'just works' (without all this fuss and nonsense), because that environment is owned my MS.

I do appreciate the time that you have so freely given me and I sincerely am grateful. But, I think that it is time that I held my hands up and realised that Ubuntu (or its derivatives) is not going to drive this card.

THANK YOU!

Beans
    Distro

I solved this problem by buying this:

TP-Link TL-WN725N 150Mbps Wireless N Nano USB Adapter

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-11_TL-WN725N.html

The best price I found in the UK was from DABs Ebay.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3112020681...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I had difficulty installing the official driver from the TP-Link website
    http://www.tp-link.com/en/download/T...5N.html#Driver

So I installed this one instead and it works fine.
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/381574/drivers-for-tp-link-tl-wn725n-nano-usb-wireless-n-adapter

Good Luck!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123