Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: verifying, installing, and removing programmes

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: verifying, installing, and removing programmes

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by anon_private View Post
    There are two scenarios. Programmes that are in the kubuntu repository, and others that are not.
    Yes. ((1) Those programs in a repository or PPA and (2) those programs that are not).

Kubuntu shares the same repositories as Ubuntu, Xubuntu and Lubuntu and of some the Ubuntu derivatives.

If I choose the install, remove, or purge a programme that is available from the repository, then the commands would be, for example, sudo apt-get remove package.
    Yes.

If I installed the package from my hard drive, I would use, for example, sudo dpkg - r package.
    This is also the case, yes.

If the package was not it the repositories and you downloaded a deb from the web and installed it using dpkg, you would need to remove it using dpkg.

One of the benefits of using apt over manually installing packages using dpkg is that you will get updates to the packages installed automatically when you run sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade or when update-manager runs as the packages in the repositories are updated regularly.

This is, in part, the reason why using apt is by far the preferred method of installing packages on your system and is what you'll want to be doing for almost every package you install.

BTW: The difference between remove and purge is that remove will usually keep the packages configuration files installed whereas purge will usually remove everything.

Also, as Dennis N pointed out, there are graphical programs that can be used to manage packages such as gdebi and software-center. The reason i tend to post terminal commands is because i may not be familar with the desktop environment that someone else is using.

If you feel this has answered your questions then please mark this thread as SOLVED using the thread tools menu above post #1.

It'll help other looking for similar information and is a simple way you can give back to the community.

Kind regards
    Last edited by matt_symes; February 1st, 2016 at 02:03 PM.
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: verifying, installing, and removing programmes

Thank you for responding.

In the main, I download software from the repository. Using kubuntu, I access the repository via muon. I don't have access to the ubuntu repository, or any of the other flavours of ubuntu - as far as I know..

If I notice a programme that is not in the repo, then I will download and install it - no other choice.

I will mark the thread as SOLVED, and hope that others will gain information from all the detailed responses.

Best wishes.
    Dell Dimension E 520 Viiv
    Pentium D 2.8 GHz. Presler Dual Core 2.8GHz, 800MHz FSB 2x2MB cache
    RAM 4 GB. Dual Channel (4x1024GB) 667MHz DDR2
    Browser: Firefox

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12