Thread: New(er) to linux, toyed a bit with RH linux 6-7-9 in the 90's

Beans

New(er) to linux, toyed a bit with RH linux 6-7-9 in the 90's

G'day everyone.

I'm a little upset the forum asks you for your "name" and I input it in, only for the forum to use my name on here. :/...but that's life lol.

Well, a bit about me. Just finished 8 years army as well as this is my last semester in a 2 year degree for IT-Web & Software. I got a job already lined up about 2 hours away for a web development position.

My question though, apart from my welcome statement, is that I have installed latest 15.x branch and no offense to anyone, not a fan of what I've found out to be the Unity bar. However, after I researched the forums here for the last hour or so, I was able to install the full XFCE package and click on it in my login session...wherein lies my question.

*takes a breath* *continues to type furiously lol*

Do I need to edit or delete any of the old Unity stuff? I'm freaking love XFCE it's exactly what I was hoping for and looking for! I read on the thread and in other places if you overwrite or w/e with a new window manager you duplicate a lot of files.

Thanks for any input,
    BluTiger

OH, PS!!! LOL. I was wondering, I really like Java coding although I definitely lean more towards the web-dev side of the house, but is there any coding projects for like php or sql projects or anything I could help out with? XFCE and Linux is...apparently...the answer to my life's problems...

Xubuntu > 42.
    Last edited by BluTiger; January 28th, 2016 at 02:51 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: New(er) to linux, toyed a bit with RH linux 6-7-9 in the 90's

We have nothing to do with the Ubuntu One signup or the name assigned by Ubuntu One when you start your account. That is Canonical. None of us are Canonical employees.

However, if you will start a thread in the Resolution Center and give us three alternate names, we can change yours to the first available.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    We have nothing to do with the Ubuntu One signup or the name assigned by Ubuntu One when you start your account. That is Canonical. None of us are Canonical employees.

However, if you will start a thread in the Resolution Center and give us three alternate names, we can change yours to the first available.
    Oh ok. I didn't know there was a separation like that! Created the topic, thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron_Aero View Post
    I'm a little upset the forum asks you for your "name" and I input it in, only for the forum to use my name on here. :/ If a mod can edit this for me my normal online moniker is BluTiger...would certainly be appreciated to be fixed.
    I'm sure they will as soon as they notice it. They're by and large an accomodating (what good is a spell checker that won't offer a suggestion?) lot. But if you're in a hurry, you might be able to delete your account and start another one. Worth a shot.
    I have installed latest 15.x branch and no offense to anyone, not a fan of what I've found out to be the Unity bar.
    A lot of us feel that way. They seem to be hoping to catch more of the people who's first exposure is a phone or tablet because Finagle knows it sucks on a Desktop. But that is why we have choices, to accommodate even opinionated curmudgeons like me.
    I was able to install the full XFCE package and click on it in my login session...wherein lies my question. *takes a breath* *continues to type furiously lol* Do I need to edit or delete any of the old Unity stuff?
    No. Your setup will work as it is. However if you know you don't care about the Unity DE, you will recover drive space be UNINSTALLING it, not just deleting it. If you don't follow the distinction, say so, and it can be elaborated.
    I'm freaking love XFCE it's exactly what I was hoping for
    Good. You'd probably like Lubuntu too. They are quite similar. On the whole I like Lubuntu better but the default file browser in xfce, thunar, is better. Of course you can mix n match any way you like. Welcome to the 'nix universe.

==================================
    added by edit:
    proves what a slooow typist I am. This had no answers when I started.
    Last edited by Dreamer Fithp Apprentice; January 28th, 2016 at 04:08 AM.