Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Square Root of RAM for swap space formula

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Square Root of RAM for swap space formula

if you throw this into excel it gives out what is requested: =ROUND(SQRT(64);0)

in this case square toot of 64 rounded to 0 digits.

i dont' know how it is in libre Office but i do think the formula is sitll missing the digits part to be used there.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by pauljw View Post
    The formula I've had success with is 2XRAM up to a 4G swap. I have an 8G machine with a 4G swap and have never had a problem. The odds of the average user loading up their RAM above 4G is slim at best. Too large a swap file and performance begins to degrade as the system attempts to manage it, so I've read anyway.
    you can also reduce swapineess to get arround this issue. e.g. that the OS only starts using swap once RAM has say 7 GB occupied in your case.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer Fithp Apprentice View Post
    @ matt_symes:

I meant no disrespect to Grahammechanical, who I suspect was being somewhat disingenuous, and intended no offense to him. He is a level headed chap and I doubt if he took any.
    I can't comment on whether grahammechanical understood the meaning of the wording of that equation; only he can and i would not want, or even am i entitled, to speak for him.

He did posit what looked like a question about the equation and clarification of that equation does nothing to hinder this thread, and may be enlightening to others who don't understand that syntax of the equation.

No, but it seems clear that it was obvious to OP. He implicitly assumed the meaning was obvious. He did NOT ask what it meant. It seems clear that he knew what it meant. He even made that clear in the title of the thread. This is not a wiki. There are an immense number of threads on here that are not immediately clear to any random passerby. Finagle knows, there are plenty that are not clear to me. In responding to a query in a FORUM, I generally assume the main point is to try to respond to the individual poster which means to address what they are asking rather than re-explaining the question, when the question is clear enough that anyone able to answer it will understand it.
    This is a public forum. Many people visit this forum and read threads in it.

You have to understand that the opinions given in this thread, and they are opinions as this is not a support thread, are intended to enlighten and expand on the thread.

Just curious to find out the different methods for working out swap partition space.
    You see, the above quote could be interpreted as a request to proffer opinions (again not a support thread) about "the different methods for working out swap partition space."

If his question is clear to me, it is certainly clear enough to anybody who has a ghost of a chance of answering it, which, I reiterate, none of us have done.
    Again, that may be true but it does not help others that may not understand that equation.

It may be the case that everyone reading this thread does understand that equation, however that is not an assumption that i think should be made.

This still misses the point of whether "Just curious to find out the different methods for working out swap partition space." is eliciting other opinions or not.

Once again, i will highlight that this is not a support thread. It's in the wrong sub-forum for that. This sub-forum was created with the specific intent of creating an area where discussions could be made around a topic and, as long as the thread does not drift too off topic and stays within the bounds of the CoC, then all opinions are welcome.

You are apparently offended by my statementI regret if you're offended but I do not apologize for a simple statement that is clearly true.
    Offended ? No. Why should i be offended ? There is no need for you to apologise for stating your opinion, as long as it's within the forum's CoC.

The POST has been RESPONDED to, but the QUESTION has NOT been ANSWERED. I re-read it again, very carefully. The ONLY questions were:
    These are the same question, posed twice with different wording to make it as clear as possible. OP is a commendably clear writer. He even prefaces the question with this declarative sentence:
    He could not possibly have been clearer. Those are the only sentences with question marks and he explicitly labels them as his "one main question".
    One main question, yes. However that does not insist that there are not implied questions or that the main question is the only question.

Well, there is much in your post of interest & OP posted in a chat sub-forum, so if he gets discursive commentary, that is to be expected. And I need to learn to watch the right column in the "unanswered posts" list and avoid responding to the ones in "chat" sub-fora. But even so, I won't be taken to task for a simple true statement without responding. Well, at least once. I won't be baited into a flame war.
    This area is for general chit chat and to talk through and about a topic.

You're stating your opinion and so am i. There's nothing wrong with that A flame war never even crossed my mind.

There are many other staff who monitor these forums. They'll take both of us to task if that's what they have to do. It's their role here.

I stand by what I wrote. OP's question is very precise, explicit, and clear. And still unanswered. He isn't asking for advice on partitioning. There is a great deal of material here answering questions he did NOT ask, which is fine, since this is a chat sub-forum. But none of that invalidates the statement that the actual question has not been answered. It STILL hasn't been answered. I don't know the answer. I'd like to. Not because I'm looking for advice on partitioning any more than OP was, but for the same reason OP explicitly stated he was asking. I'm "just curious" about the basis of a very precise "official" statement that has no . . ., ahem, OBVIOUS explanation.
    Please stop trying to limit discussion in an area of the forum which was created specifically for discussion.

If someone knows the answer to the OP's explicit question they'll post.
    Last edited by matt_symes; January 29th, 2016 at 01:58 PM.
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My suggestion has been just 2GB for swap. (for most users)

I only now have seen the square root calculation and have read the swapfaq multiple times.

2GB is a little large if you only have 512MB of RAM.
    It is per old rule of 2X correct for 1GB of RAM.

But once you get to 2GB of RAM it is per new rule of 1 times RAM. But really should be 2GiB if technically correct for hibernation.

But you normally do not want hibernation if dual booting.
    Or if you have a SSD, you boot very quickly and do not need hibernation.
    Some system have issues with hibernation that will take longer to solve than the total boot time for the life time of system.

My older system had 4GB of RAM and I never used swap.

Many users with over 4GB of RAM have posted they do not use swap and have not had issues.
    But I believe some swap saves a second or two on boot as it does not have to look for swap and not find it.

And with new hard drives, allocating whatever you want for swap does not use much of drive.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

I'll attempt to answer the OP's questions. Please be aware that these are just my guesses, though.

1. How was this formula derived? I don't believe it was derived. It was most likely made up as a reasonable rule of thumb based on experience.

2. How did it come into into being? Someone decided it was a reasonable estimate of how much swap someone would need given a certain amount of RAM.

As for why it's a reasonable rule of thumb, I guess the assumption is that most users will not often use up all their RAM, and if they do, they will probably not need as much swap space as they have RAM. It makes sense that the amount of swap space should increase with the amount of RAM available, since users with lots of memory are more likely to have lots of programs open at once. But it doesn't need to scale linearly with RAM; there is a kind of plateau where swap space doesn't need to increase much more when LOTS of RAM is available. Hence the sqrt(RAM) formula.

Of course, these statements are all based on various assumptions which might not be true for your particular usage and hardware. There are also a potentially infinite number of other valid rules of thumb one could alternatively use. And of course, as I said, these are just guesses on my part.
    Last edited by montag dp; January 29th, 2016 at 04:30 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    if you throw this into excel it gives out what is requested: =ROUND(SQRT(64);0)

in this case square toot of 64 rounded to 0 digits.

i dont' know how it is in libre Office but i do think the formula is sitll missing the digits part to be used there.
    LibreOffice calls "digits" "count". This is from LiberOffice Calc help: "Returns Number rounded to Count decimal places. If Count is omitted or zero, the function rounds to the nearest integer."
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    you can also reduce swapineess to get arround this issue. e.g. that the OS only starts using swap once RAM has say 7 GB occupied in your case.
    You are correct, but as I say, I've not had any issues what so ever. I'm sometimes a rather slow learner, but one thing I have learned over the years is that linux is extremely good at memory management, so I just let it do its thing and try not to even pay any attention to what it's doing.

Paul

Beans

+2 for Montag dp for actually answering the question.

OP seems intent on getting an answer - he's given up on us and gone on to ask elsewhere:
    http://wyldeplayground.net/square-ro...space-formula/

In the meantime, I researched this a bit:

==============================================
    First, the expression itself:

As I suggested, round(sqrt(x)), being an intuitively natural syntax, not surprisingly, appears to be a legitimate expression in more than one language, including C:

-C (which I don't speak)
    http://ccm.net/faq/5734-how-to-find-...t-in-c-program
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...-of-truncating)

-Oracle SQL (which I don't speak)
    http://www.java2s.com/Code/Oracle/Nu...ndsqrtsal2.htm

-R (which I don't speak)
    https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-hel...er/289393.html

-ancient TI calculator language (which I used to speak circa K/T)
    It is a legitimate way to WRITE an entry on paper describing what you do with the machine,, where "sqrt" means press a specific key.

I am sure there are more examples.
    ============================================
    History of the idea:

In the beginning, there was Redhat

and the "original table" (by which name it is actually still known - how . . . original). This was their recommendations for swap size, published in antiquity:

Original table:

RAM________|_______ Swap
    4 gB or less............2 gB or more
    4 to 16 gB..............4 gB or more
    16 to 64 gB............8 gB or more
    64 to 256 gB.........16 gB or more
    256 to 512 gB.......32 gB or more
    adapted from https://serverfault.com/questions/58...-2-4gb-system#

Note that, whether by intent or not, this table can be succinctly summarized as "the square root of the RAM in GB, rounded up to a power of two". If there is any math theory behind this, I have been unable to discover it. More likely, the table entries result from practical experience filtered through a programmer's tendency to think of powers of 2 as round numbers and the fit with the formula is more or less coincidence.

The first recommendation for swap expressed by this formula, as far as I have been able to determine, is this post in 2011:

"The square root of the RAM in GB, rounded up to a power of two. – starblue Jun 17 '11 at 7:57"
    from
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/4910...eed-32gb-swap#

Starblue has the heaviest geek credentials imaginable. He is an IT pro and computer scientist with a doctorate in computer science. He has authored original research and was formerly with the Max Planck Institute for Computer Science. He has worked on the linux kernel and is fluent in more languages, human and programming, than I have fingers to count with, including an assembler language.

Regarding that post, he says
    "I don't remember that comment, but I suppose I just translated the table (now called "original table") in the answer to a formula. So the actual sizes are not from me but from RedHat."
    from personal communication

The terse "round(sqrt(RAM))" recommendation was added to
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq
    on 2015-04-10 18:19:16 by fabrizio-marana. As far as I can find, this is the first occurrence of this expression used for this purpose.

=======================================
    Summary:
    The formula is an elegant description of what were, at the time, Red Hat's recommendations. Those recommendations appear to have been rules of thumb derived from practical experience and published in tabular form without awareness that they fit such an elegantly simple formula.

Whether that is coincidence or reflects unknown underlying math that results in the system behavior that was the basis of Red Hat's recommendations is a question that could be investigated, if one were so inclined, from 2 perspectives:

-If it were coincidence, just how big a coincidence would it be? Which would have bearing on how plausible the coincidence hypothesis is. Regarding this I'll make 2 intuitive judgments without attempting anything deeper:
    *with only 5 lines in the table, given the tendency of programmers to think of powers of 2 as round numbers, it's probably not that big a coincidence
    *this is a fairly tractable problem and someone who cared to, could probably put some real numbers in an answer with a few hours thought at most.

-Is there any underlying reason in information theory for these numbers to fit this pattern?
    It is way too deep a question for me, but I will make 1 intuitive SWAG:
    *If someone qualified were to tackle this, it MIGHT be provable, if in fact it is true, but if in fact it is not true, it would probably be extremely difficult to disprove.

One more thing of note:

While this formula is a fossil of what Red Hat used to recommend, they no longer recommend this. Their current recommendation is:
    "Swap should equal 2x physical RAM for up to 2 GB of physical RAM, and then an additional 1x physical RAM for any amount above 2 GB, but never less than 32 MB."
    from
    https://access.redhat.com/documentat...1-swap-what-is

=======================================
    Non-topical postscript, merely meta-topical:

@ matt_symes

Quote Originally Posted by matt_symes View Post
    Please stop trying to limit discussion in an area of the forum which was created specifically for discussion.
    You seem determined to distort what I've written. Nothing I wrote was, or implied, such an attempt, nor IMO, could such an attempt be reasonably inferred. In the very part you quoted I clearly wrote "which is fine, since this is a chat sub-forum". I merely pointed out that despite a great deal of material posted, the OP's substantively single (grammatically double) question had still not been addressed, despite being both clearly expressed and of significant interest, which was completely true at the time, although Montag dp and I have since answered it.

Given the context, I can't see any reasonable interpretation of your post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt_symes View Post
    The post has been answered.
    than as a flat contradiction to my clearly true and clearly on topic statement that OP's actual question had not been addressed - unless you simply meant it to forestall any further discussion at all. So, naturally I defended my statement, which I still regard as clearly true and not reasonably disputable.

P.S.
    For this, in my opinion, temperate, post, I received substantial infraction points and a threat of sanctions from howefield. Consider that my LANGUAGE is not objectionable, only the THOUGHTS expressed. That's enough for me. I think highly of some people here, but it isn't worth it. When I add the post script he'll probably ban me. But that's fine, because this is my last post here anyway.
    Last edited by howefield; January 31st, 2016 at 01:49 AM. Reason: removed gratuitous insult.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@Dreamer Fithp Apprentice
    Great research on the swap issue.

And I thought I had not seen the formula in swapfaq before. And I have not followed Redhat's suggestions recently. I last installed Redhat when GB was large for a hard drive, much less RAM.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

@Dreamer Fithp Apprentice

Not 20 minutes ago, i was commenting on how good i thought your post was. It's a shame you had to edit it.

...question had still not been addressed....
    Maybe next time make that kind of post your first post.

I'll, also, leave it at that.
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast