Thread: Login Loop, hoes balck then goes to Login window after getting Gnome

Beans

Login Loop, hoes balck then goes to Login window after getting Gnome

Hello, I recently got gnome in my System76 Oryx Pro computer, and when I logged out like the tutlrial I watched said, I can't login now, it goes to a black screen whem I login, and then loops back to the login screen. I tried ctrl-alt-f1 and f2 to get to the terminal, and the screen becomes black and no terminal screen. What is happening, I have read it's driver errors, how do I fix this now, I have important files I am not risking on deleting.

Beans

Re: Login Loop, hoes balck then goes to Login window after getting Gnome

First, don't panic.

Second. If none of those valuable files are in an encrypted partition or container, you can boot from something else, a live disk for example, and copy them securely to external media before you do anything more. Ideally you should back up any important data externally anyway so if you haven't already done that, now would be a good time before proceeding further.

Third, don't panic.

Fourth, you need to post more details. It is much more likely someone can make useful suggestions if you tell them EXACTLY what you did. In DETAIL. Not just a vague ref to "the tutorial". Step by step.

Fifth, don't panic, or did I say that already?

Beans

Sorry if I have panicked, I have backed up the files on an external drive, how do I fix this though? I just read others have had the same issue, and they said in a step by step that after a reboot, that you would do ctrl-alt-f1 or f2, but his has proven to fail for me, since my screen goes to black. Is there a special way to enter the terminal from a reboot on a System76 computer/laptop? It's just really stressing this has occured. Sorry for the title errors, wrting + panic = Errors in Writing. Is there any solution to help me in this ordeal? Is it Gdm or the driver update, I really don't know?

Beans

OK, then, so whatever you do, including possibly following my own possibly bad advice, you can't screw up too badly if your data is safe. I don't know about others but that makes feel much less stressed about answering. |>

Now, mea culpa perhaps. My comedy distracted from the second major point of my post which was:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer Fithp Apprentice View Post
    Fourth, you need to post more details. It is much more likely someone can make useful suggestions if you tell them EXACTLY what you did. In DETAIL. Not just a vague ref to "the tutorial". Step by step.
    There are a lot of tutorials on the net dealing with gnome.
    Last edited by Dreamer Fithp Apprentice; January 28th, 2016 at 04:14 AM.

Beans

Yeah, so I'm having the same issue; the first thing I did was install gnome-shell. Then black screen. Then I reinstalled the os about three times (UEFI pain). Then I got it working. Then black screen. Only now do I realize what the problem is; kernel upgrades break nvidia (did you update your system?). I'm still working through it, been awhile since I've had to unscrew proprietary drivers. I'll post when I get there.

Beans

I have a desktop. Ready?
    sudo apt-get purge* nvidia
    reboot. that will give you a desktop on the nv drivers. then you can reinstall
    sudo apt-get install system76-driver-nvidia
    reboot
    But.... in order to get up and running again you need to
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm
    and select lightdm. I'm still trying to get gdm to work.