Thread: where to look to find correct keyboard identification during installation?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

where to look to find correct keyboard identification during installation?

I want to install Lubuntu on a laptop, but I don't know its keyboard.

It was made in Japan, and it has a funky Japanese keyboard. (For example, the "@" symbol is not above the "2", and there are some extra keys.)

When I do installation, Lubuntu asks me to choose a keyboard. How do I know which one? Is there a way to identify keyboards either by (1) looking at the hardware, or (2) looking at something in the computer (it is currently running Windows Vista, so somewhere in Windows...)?

Thank you very much!

P.S. I don't want to choose an English keyboard option because (1) it might not work and (2) I want to preserve the functions of the Japanese keys. Thanks.

Beans

Re: where to look to find correct keyboard identification during installation?

More than one possibility:

The easiest, surest thing is trial and error. Look at the available choices and pick the most likely. If that doesn't turn out well, reinstall. It doesn't take that long and you aren't going to affect the actual keyboard.

Alternately, there used to be some sort of "pick the most likely for me" option. You could try that. I doubt it will work, but it won't take terribly long to find out.

Thirdly, you could search for images of Nipponese keyboards, go to the webpages with the images, and maybe you'll find useful info on one of them.

Fourthly, you could use online translation and find and post the question with a picture of the keyboard at some online NIpponese computer forum similar to this one.

Good luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: where to look to find correct keyboard identification during installation?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer Fithp Apprentice View Post

Fourthly, you could use online translation and find and post the question with a picture of the keyboard at some online NIpponese computer forum similar to this one.

Good luck.
    Yeah, I figured this one out. This is probably what I'll do first at the Japanese Ubuntu forums. Thanks.