Thread: Wily/15.10 Making JACK work with PulseAudio

Beans

Question Wily/15.10 Making JACK work with PulseAudio

I have a simple need. I need to direct audio from a media player and audio from a USB microphone into one recording/capture source. I was able to get that working with a bunch of PulseAudio commands, but they seemed to randomly reset every now and then, - forcing me to re-apply a variety of settings mid-work. I have been told that JACK can do what I want to. However, when I tried installing JACK on a laptop (running Ubuntu 14), all of my audio stopped working. I'm worried about that happening again, because I don't understand why it happened.

Looking at https://github.com/overtone/overtone...-starting-jack and https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...o_through_JACK leaves me confused. The terminology goes right over my head.

My basic questions are

1) Can I add JACK to my existing setup - not replacing ALSA or PulseAudio?

2) Can someone here help me to get JACK installed on Wily (whether I have to replace ALSA/PulseAudio or not)? A bit of layman-speak / step-by-step help or a Skype or Hangouts conversation would be appreciated. YouTube and Google haven't helped me.

Thanks for checking out this thread.

Edit: I found a video that gave me a simple guide and I've got JACK working now. However, a new problem has appeared. I can start JACK via qjackctl, but when I do I lose all sound. It returns when I stop JACK.
    Last edited by JCopse; January 27th, 2016 at 01:45 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Wily/15.10 Confused about JACK

Thread moved to Multimedia Software.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

1) Can I add JACK to my existing setup - not replacing ALSA or PulseAudio?

Yes, JACK is a system that co-exists with ALSA and PulseAudio.
    All three of them co-exist with each other. None of them fight each other.
    They won't replace each other.
    May Peace Prevail for Life in all Realms of Creation --Masahisa Goi

Beans

I have JACK installed in a way that lets me start/stop it to return to using just PulseAudio now. However, I get no sound when using JACK. In JACK, the lines between PulseAudio and System are red. I'm not sure what to do from here.

Edit: Nevermind. Turns out what I needed to do was use qjackctl to start JACK, then close all applications, then start applications, then use pavucontrol to switch from Built-In Analog Stereo to JACK Sink.
    Last edited by JCopse; January 27th, 2016 at 01:45 PM.