Thread: Nokia 635 and Ubuntu 14.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Nokia 635 and Ubuntu 14.04

When I connect my Windows Phone (tried Win 8.1 and Win 10) to my Ubuntu 14.04 desktop with USB for viewing photos and video on the phone Ubuntu hangs and eventually nothing happens. If a window does open it shows no files on the phone. Is there some secret to being able to view the files on my phone with Ubuntu? With Windows 7 on the same computer I am able to view the files on the phone.
    Last edited by Easy Limits; January 17th, 2016 at 04:24 PM.

Beans

Re: Nokia 635 and Ubuntu 14.04

I've actually tried to connect a Windows Phone (still branded Nokia) with linux, and it didn't work out either. From further reading I discovered similiar story out there. I would recommend you try to see if you can get bluetooth transfer to work for the time being. I've had far greater luck with Android devices using a software program called: gmtp, but according to much of my reading, that is not going to solve this issue.

To my knowledge, most devices haveto be able to get identified as storage devices before the system can use them. This is done by the linux kernel, and so, more often than not, if we're discussing newer devices, they often require a very new version of the linux kernel, and if you don't have that, there's nothing which is going to make it working. The exception could be by using emulation software, but that will of course slow things down and might not be the ideal solution.
    Last edited by khelben1979; January 17th, 2016 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Fixed serious spelling error
    Debian 11 "Bullseye"
    HP Envy 2021 laptop
    Linux user since 1999.

Beans

Re: Nokia 635 and Ubuntu 14.04

Not much help as different model and version of Ubuntu, however with Lumia 735 and 16.04 the phone shows up automatically in Files, won't let me load pictures straight from the phone but will allow them to be cut/copied and pasted to the PC.

Is it worth trying a live session with something newer than 14.04 ?