Thread: New hardware install with 14.04

Beans

New hardware install with 14.04

I have a new HP notebook [ something like ab100]. Wired Ethernet is OK. Wireless is not; an Intel chip 3165; apparently not supported until kernel 4.1. There is no sound; it uses an Intel chip 9d70. lspci reports "Capabilities: <access denied>", but it reports that for many chips. Sound controls show in the Sound Properties, but test produces nothing.

I would appreciate some clues on how to solve this problem.

Paul

Beans

Re: New hardware install with 14.04

I built the latest iwlwifi driver for Ubuntu 12.04 from backports when I upgraded my wireless card to an Intel 7260. Backports give you newer drivers for older Ubuntu releases.

Something like this:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/33166...260-version-63

(Follow the instructions in the first answer - involves a few terminal commands. You'll want to be plugged in temporarily with ethernet while doing this.)

but you might want to look for a newer backports version than that - probably this one:

https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/ker...s-4.3-1.tar.gz

You might also have an issue with the firmware even after doing that. Give that a try first, though.

Beans

Maybe there's a way to build a driver for the sound card, too - not sure if there is one in the backports. You might also go ahead and just build the 4.1 kernel outright.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Quote Originally Posted by pmjs1115 View Post
    apparently not supported until kernel 4.1.
    Then doing a fresh install (no upgrades) of 15.10 is your best option.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mrgs View Post
    Then doing a fresh install (no upgrades) of 15.10 is your best option.
    Genuine question:14.04 + HWE to 15.10's 4.2.x kernel not an option? OP keeps LTS and gets updated hardware support in kernel, no reinstall required.

Trusty

The 14.04.2 and newer point release will ship with an updated kernel and X stack by default. If you have installed with older media you can use the following to install the newer kernel from 15.04 (Vivid):

Desktop

sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-lts-vivid xserver-xorg-core-lts-vivid xserver-xorg-lts-vivid xserver-xorg-video-all-lts-vivid xserver-xorg-input-all-lts-vivid libwayland-egl1-mesa-lts-vivid

Replacing vivid (15.04 / 3.19 kernel) with wily of course

Beans
    Distro

The hardware enablement stack is an attempt at making 14.04 behave 15.10-ish which I think is a pointless exercise since we have the real thing (the 15.10 ISO) available and since a reinstall only takes twenty minutes.

How many new packages should be backported from 15.10 to solve a given series of problems? We don't know. Has '14.04 + something' enough backports? We don't know that either. Therefore, the least troublesome approach is using all packages new, that is a standard 15.10.

Well, let's hear from original poster what works best.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Posting from 15.10 liveCD. There is sound and wireless connects. Thanks for all your answers. 15.10 install must be the answer. I will repost if it is not.

Paul

Beans
    Distro

Good, if the install works as the live boot then please mark the thread solved (and spread the word: New software for new hardware).

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

And remember you can jump on to the 16.04 LTS release when it drops in a few months - if you don't like the idea of being on a shorter term release.
    My Rig -
    MOBO
    : Z87-D3HP, CPU: i5-4690K, RAM: 8GB DDR3, GPU: R9270X 4GB, SSD: 1TB 840 EVO