Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power options for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Beans

Question Power options for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Greetings all~
    I am trying to lower my power consumption in general. I currently have a Dell Poweredge 2900 running Ubuntu 14.04 Server. I use it for a fileshare but also as a web server for my personal use. My problem is that it pulls a good 330watts 24/7.

Is it possible to hibernate the machine and wake it on network traffic? I have looked in the bios and there is no option to power on at a given time so that ruled out a shutdown script pretty quick. Thus my question of a sleep state or hibernation.

I have been googling around but haven't found what I am looking for, likely just not asking the right way.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Power options for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Ramsey View Post
    Greetings all~
    I am trying to lower my power consumption in general. I currently have a Dell Poweredge 2900 running Ubuntu 14.04 Server. I use it for a fileshare but also as a web server for my personal use. My problem is that it pulls a good 330watts 24/7.

Is it possible to hibernate the machine and wake it on network traffic? I have looked in the bios and there is no option to power on at a given time so that ruled out a shutdown script pretty quick. Thus my question of a sleep state or hibernation.

I have been googling around but haven't found what I am looking for, likely just not asking the right way.
    Have you looked into WOL (Wake on Lan).

I use it on my backup server to wake it up when i backup my laptop and other computers.

Look in your BIOS and see if there is an option to enable it.

You'll also need a network card that supports it. Many have this. You can check using ethtool.

If it's not already installed then install it using...

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ethtool
    Then check your network card. Change "<ethernet_interface>" below as required.

Code:
    sudo ethtool <ethernet_interface> | grep -i wake
    You'll be looking for the "g" option. This is the "WOL using a magic packet" option.

Here is an example from my laptop. You'll want to see something similar on your server.
    Code:
    matthew-xu-16-04:/home/matthew:0 % sudo ethtool enp3s0 | grep -i wake
            Supports Wake-on: puag
            Wake-on: g
    matthew-xu-16-04:/home/matthew:0
    You can then enable the "g" option on the network card if it's not enabled

Code:
    sudo ethtool -s <ethernet_interface> wol g
    and wake the computer from a different PC using wakeonlan.

Install wakeonlan on the other PC if it's not installed.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install wakeonlan
    and to wake your server...

Code:
    wakeonlan <MAC address of network card on server>
    I power down my server (but not physically switch it off or unplug it) and wake it up from my laptop or one of my other computers, so my backup server draws next to no power until i need it.

If your BIOS and network card supports this then there is no need to suspend or hibernate. You can just power down as you normally would.

If you need more information then post back.

Kind regards
    Last edited by matt_symes; January 9th, 2016 at 08:35 PM.
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by matt_symes View Post

If you need more information then post back.

Kind regards
    Thanks Matt this is a good start. I have since convinced myself that I don't believe my hardware is capable of a sleep state so this is likely my only option.

Beans
    Distro

Hi

Thanks Matt this is a good start. I have since convinced myself that I don't believe my hardware is capable of a sleep state so this is likely my only option.
    When looking in your BIOS, WOL might not be called something obvious (and useful) like 'Wake on LAN'.

It may be a power management event called something like 'power on by pci' or something else really, really useless like that.

My point is, if you don't see an obvious option then look for something that may not seem in any way obvious. Get a copy of the BIOS manual if you can.

I really think that, half the time, BIOS writers are swigging whisky at their work stations while they work

Kind regards

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I use WoL on my PowerEdge 1750's. They run 200 to 240 watts, so I only wake them when I need to do some development work. I use RaspberryPi's for 24/7 service--only a few watts of power. I'm pretty sure the 2900's will support WoL, but you will have to hack at it. On mine, I had to enable WoL using a script put in /etc/rc.local because the network card did not keep the "g" setting between power outages. Not a frequent Use Case, but enough to be annoying.

The real reason for global warming is that companies keep building server farms in northern latitudes to save on cooling costs.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    I use WoL on my PowerEdge 1750's. They run 200 to 240 watts, so I only wake them when I need to do some development work. I use RaspberryPi's for 24/7 service--only a few watts of power. I'm pretty sure the 2900's will support WoL, but you will have to hack at it. On mine, I had to enable WoL using a script put in /etc/rc.local because the network card did not keep the "g" setting between power outages. Not a frequent Use Case, but enough to be annoying.

The real reason for global warming is that companies keep building server farms in northern latitudes to save on cooling costs.
    I managed to get WOL enabled on the 2900. Ran powerdown via ssh and sent the WOL packet from my router and it worked. This is my home server and we do samba shares and I run a private web server for playing around. My first choice would have been to have the machine sleep and wake up on network traffic. My next step will be to run a script to run the send the wake packet at a specified time like 8:00 AM and a powerdown script at 10:00PM.

Also when I tried to hibernate I think Ubuntu went into a hibernate state but the machine never really powered down. fans were still running etc.
    Last edited by Mike_Ramsey; January 10th, 2016 at 02:35 PM. Reason: added additional info

Beans
    Distro

Hi

I managed to get WOL enabled on the 2900. Ran powerdown via ssh and sent the WOL packet from my router and it worked. This is my home server and we do samba shares and I run a private web server for playing around.
    Excellent ! You're mostly there then

My first choice would have been to have the machine sleep and wake up on network traffic.
    Seriously ? Then every broadcast packet would wake the machine up such as ARP broadcast packets.

My next step will be to run a script to run the send the wake packet at a specified time like 8:00 AM and a powerdown script at 10:00PM.
    If you need help with this then just say the word.
    Also when I tried to hibernate I think Ubuntu went into a hibernate state but the machine never really powered down. fans were still running etc.
    I don't own one so i can't really help but maybe tgalati4 may have some suggestions for you.

Kind regards
    Last edited by matt_symes; January 10th, 2016 at 03:09 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by matt_symes View Post
    Hi

Excellent ! You're mostly there then

Seriously ? Then every broadcast packet would wake the machine up such as ARP broadcast packets.

If you need help with this then just say the word.

I don't own one so i can't really help but maybe tgalati4 may have some suggestions for you.

Kind regards
    Well maybe I phrased that wrong. I guess what I really meant was to wake it up from a sleep state via WOL instead of powering completely down. pm-suspend-hybrid seemed to work with the exception of the physical machine powering down. I am just not sure how to determine how to test the hardware to see if it is capable. Being that it is a true server though it is doubtful. With that said a powerdown script is the next best bet.

Beans
    Distro

Hi

Well maybe I phrased that wrong. I guess what I really meant was to wake it up from a sleep state via WOL instead of powering completely down.
    That makes more sense

pm-suspend-hybrid seemed to work with the exception of the physical machine powering down. I am just not sure how to determine how to test the hardware to see if it is capable. Being that it is a true server though it is doubtful.
    Hopefully someone will know and be able to tell you one way or another.

With that said a powerdown script is the next best bet.
    Now that i may be able to help you with if you do need a hand.

It sounds like you use case is pretty simple though and you sound like you know what you're doing.

Kind regards

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Good suggestions on the hardware side, and certainly wake-on-LAN is a way to save power, but another is to use an 85+ certified power supply for when the machine is actually on, and one that is rated to what you have in the box.

You say you rig pulls 330W? What size PSU are you using? Is it a 700W generic silver box? Replace it and start saving immediately.

Just throwing that in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast