Thread: Neither printer works on new install of 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Neither printer works on new install of 12.04

I have been running 12.04 on our five office and home computers for years with no issues. Yesterday I set up another Dell D-620 laptop with a new install of 12.04, using the same USB stick I always use. I set up everything the same way, including the two printers in our office. One is direct usb and the other is on our office network. Both printers work fine on all other computers but I cannot get either to print from this new computer. They go through the motions, everything looks fine on the various print dialogs, and the print data ends up in the que, but the printers will not print. The que messages vary: "waiting for printer to become available," "pending," and sometimes I get "sending data to printer, xx%." The usb printer is a Brother HL2360, the network printer is a Canon MX 890. Since this is happening with both printers and all the other computers, set up identically, do work, is there something I missed in the setup? This is driving me NUTS!!

OK . . . IT'S FIXED, SORT OF. I finally uninstalled the Brother printer and this time reinstalled it but used the generic driver instead of the "recommended" one that works fine with our other machines. It works now. I'm gonna give up on the Canon; that was just a luxury on this workstation anyway.
    Last edited by hiloguy; January 8th, 2016 at 02:24 AM. Reason: Problem solved. Enough, anyway.
    Unanswered questions
    are far less dangerous
    than unquestioned answers.