Thread: How to start a program from a different dir?

Beans

How to start a program from a different dir?

I've got this super long line of code.
    Code:
    /home/admin-ben/Steam/steamapps/common/Arma\ 3\ Server/arma3server >>/home/admin-ben/gameserver/logs/log.rpt 2>&1 -mod=@Exile\;@mas\;@NATO_Rus_Vehicle -servermod=@ExileServer -config=@ExileServer/config.cfg -port=2302 -profiles=SC -cfg=@ExileServer/basic.cfg -name=SC -autoinit -filePatching
    If I go into the dir that the "arma3server" is in (this file seems to have no extension?)
    Code:
    ./arma3server >>/home/admin-ben/gameserver/logs/log.rpt 2>&1  -mod=@Exile\;@mas\;@NATO_Rus_Vehicle -servermod=@ExileServer  -config=@ExileServer/config.cfg -port=2302 -profiles=SC  -cfg=@ExileServer/basic.cfg -name=SC -autoinit -filePatching
    Works fine, but everything that I've tried with the other dir part hasn't worked.
    I've also tried to get it to work without the home/admin-ben part too. Was just trying.
    Trying to get it to work before adding it to a screen, that will run a crontab script. (think I said that right)

But yeah, how do I run this file from a different dir, while in terminal?

Thanks,
    Higgins909

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: How to start a program from a different dir?

If that "Arma 3 Server" is a folder name including spaces, be careful with that. The \ in theory can be used, but I have never trusted it. What happens if you wrap it in double quotes? The path would be something like "/home/admin-ben/Steam/steamapps/common/Arma 3 Server/arma3server".

I know you can use cd with double quotes like that but honestly I have never tried running a program wrapped in double quotes. I never needed to have one in such a complex path.

If that doesn't work, what you could do in the script is first use cd "/path" to take you to the correct destination folder and then run the command from there.

Also, is this how it installs by default, can you choose another destination folder when installing? I am asking because I don't think it's good practice to install stuff in users home folder. But that's another topic.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Better yet rename the "Arma 3 Server" folder to "Arma_3_Server" then try to run the program using full path again.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

any filesystem name that needs quotes (spaces in the name) can be put in quotes (directory, symlink, regular file) either single or double. the difference is how shell scripts parse them (variable substitution is not done inside single quote so they are used for '$' for example). backslashes might need to be doubled depending on how they are inputted (test it and change if needed).

i like the renaming strategy.
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans

File extensions are a Windows convention. Any file extenstions you find in Linux are purely decorative, or to help users.

You can run anything you want, from any directory.

Example: I want to run the 'hello' application, located at /usr/bin/hello

Code:
    me:/var/log$ cd /usr/bin         ## Let's try it from within hello's dir
    me:/usr/bin$ /usr/bin/hello      ## This works from everywhere
    Hello, world!                             
    me:/usr/bin$ ./hello             ## ./ means 'run this application that is in this directory'
    Hello, world!

me:/usr/bin$ cd ~                ## Let's try them from my home directory ('~' means 'my home dir')
    me:~$ /usr/bin/hello
    Hello, world!
    me:~$ ./hello                    ## There is no 'hello' application in  my home directory, so this should fail
    bash: ./hello: No such file or directory

me:~$ cd /var/log                ## Let's try someplace else on the system
    me:/var/log$ /usr/bin/hello
    Hello, world!
    me:/var/log$ ./hello
    bash: ./hello: No such file or directory
    Play with some smaller pieces first, and you'll figure it out faster. The 'df' command (/bin/df) or 'date' command (/bin/date) are good applications to start with.
    Last edited by ian-weisser; January 7th, 2016 at 05:40 AM.

Beans

Seems I failed to refresh the page.
    Yeah I ended up renaming it, but then ran into other issues that I have no idea how hard it would be
    to fix them.

I can get "Steam/steamapps/common/Arma3Server/arma3server" to kinda work, when in /home/admin-ben.
    But it ends up giving out a error, because it can't find steam. I'm not really sure why it can find steam, when
    run from the arma 3 folder tho. As its not installed in there. (it ends up trying to look for the steamcmd folder,
    which i've renamed the steam folder to, to temp see how it would work. It went from not being able to find it,
    with a few errors, to a lot of errors.)

I think that will be it for now. Don't think I can find a easy fix for it, when there is a 2nd way to do what I'm
    trying to do with the script, which is cd to the Arma 3 Server dir.

Yeah I can install it to a different dir, but after all this about steam, I'm not sure how it would work.
    common is the folder that steamcmd default installs stuff to, starts out in a folder called downloads, which is
    in the same dir as common, then when its done downloading it moves to common. I've got a few server apps
    installed, not sure how easy it will be to move them, because of steam.

Thanks.