Thread: Ubuntu keeps crashing on my Dell Inspiron-15 laptop

Beans

Ubuntu keeps crashing on my Dell Inspiron-15 laptop

Hey.
    As soon as I received my laptop a month ago, I installed Ubuntu on it. I do lots of multitasking on my laptop, and always have few browser windows open (about 2 to 4 at a time), and sometimes a program/terminal or two.

Frequently, I open the laptop to find out it crashed (just stopped working, frozen). It never happens WHILE I'm using it, only sometimes when I open it (not after turning it off, but after suspending, closing the laptop).
    My laptop's specs:

• RAM: 7.7GB
    • Graphics card: Intel HD Graphics 5500
    • Processor: Intel i5-5200U 2.20GHz (64-bit processor)

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Ubuntu keeps crashing on my Dell Inspiron-15 laptop

Hi, welcome to the fora.

Which versions of Ubuntu have you tried?
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

I also have a Dell and have had many issues in the few months I have had it. So far, it appears all to be software related and so far all have been referenced with suggestions on how to solve. I also had the same crashing problem which ended in 3 or 4 full reinstalls and lots of frustration. It would update, restart and kernel panic on me. I think one issue is related to having the USB ports connected while booting or lacking a hardwired connection during the restarts after updates. I assume that something was being searched for while the machine had not had time to upload the wifi drivers. Got a hardwire connector via USB and that helped overcome after a few hard reboots, the kernel panic.

To me part of the problem is with updates. Dell came with Ubuntu 14.04. Since I got the laptop updates are troublesome and cause all sorts of unexpected things. I have resorted to try no to do any updates but as you might guess this is almost impossible given that apt-get does all sorts of things (I am newbie in Ubuntu and linux admin things, but proficient user of Unix non admin). Usage of my Ubuntu machine has been problematic to the point I go back to windows. I cannot attest that the problems are not due to me not knowing the consequences of what I am doing, but reading this message let me think it might not be just me.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Which kind of Dell?
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.