Thread: multiple video cards & monitors

Beans

multiple video cards & monitors

I have a clean install of Lubuntu 15-10. I would like to use both video cards across 3 monitors. (2 on one, 1 on the other). It identifies both cards (see below), but seems to only be accessing a single monitor per card. Each card can support 2 monitors, so in theory should be able to drive 4 monitors. Any help is appreciated.

Additional info. I installed Xubuntu first. It did see and set up both video cards and all three monitors fired up right away. I had some issues with the mouse freezing that we couldn't resolve so I reformatted and installed Lubuntu. The mouse issues are gone with Lu, so all is great here. What is the difference between the two systems? What settings or commands can be altered to find the additional monitor? Does anyone have experience with the X.Org Nouveau driver verses the NVIDIA driver? Would that make a difference?

Code:
    lubuntu@lubuntu:~$ sudo lshw -C video
      *-display               
           description: VGA compatible controller
           product: G86 [Quadro NVS 290]
           vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
           version: a1
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
           configuration: driver=nouveau latency=0
           resources: irq:32 memory:fa000000-faffffff memory:d0000000-dfffffff memory:f8000000-f9ffffff ioport:3100(size=128)
      *-display
           description: VGA compatible controller
           product: GT216 [GeForce GT 220]
           vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:20:00.0
           version: a2
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
           configuration: driver=nouveau latency=0
           resources: irq:33 memory:f2000000-f2ffffff memory:e0000000-efffffff memory:f0000000-f1ffffff ioport:1100(size=128) memory:f3080000-f30fffff
    thanks for the help if anyone can chime in here.

Beans

Re: multiple video cards & monitors

anyone?

Beans

I've had some problems getting monitors to work right, some symptoms documented here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2257192

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by James_Creasy View Post
    I've had some problems getting monitors to work right, some symptoms documented here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2257192
    Thanks This seems to be a pretty quiet forum.

From reading, it looks like the best option may be to install the Nvidia driver as opposed to the Nouveau. If I do that and it hangs the system, how do I switch it back? Is there a safe mode that will allow me to change it back?