Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Distro hunting

Beans

Re: Distro hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Do a Ubuntu minimal install, don't choose a machine profile, reboot, you will be at a cursor, log in and issue:

See here. You might need a login manager too but reboot and see what happens.

The skin and bones of Kubuntu and not much more. I guess it would be similar to Kubuntu-core, if there was one (see Xubuntu-core and Lubuntu-core).

From here:
    Ah yes, I've thought about doing that, although the mini.iso doesn't support UEFI booting.

Although, I guess I could use the server iso...hmm why didn't I think of that earlier! :O

Oh and just to note, the package is just called plasma-desktop, not kde-plasma-desktop (I think it used to be called that but not sure anymore). Either way thanks for mentioning this!
    Last edited by user1397; February 18th, 2016 at 01:52 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Yes, if you start from an Ubuntu Server iso file (and install no server package, only what you would install from mini.iso), you get almost exactly the same result as if you start from mini.iso. And you can do it in UEFI mode

Beans

I'm trying it out right now in virtualbox to test it out

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntuman001 View Post
    I'm trying it out right now in virtualbox to test it out
    Top notch. Let us know how it rolls.

I attempted a mini.install one day about four years ago and haven't done any other kind since. Love it.

Oh, tell I lie, I did do a Xubuntu-core install on my new desktop a couple of weeks ago, but that is pretty close to the mini.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; February 18th, 2016 at 03:29 PM.

Beans

When i join CentOS forum i ask how long support they have for each release and mod reply 10 years.
    So there no need to update to new version on Rolling basis.

Cheers

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by patrikmellq View Post
    When i join CentOS forum i ask how long support they have for each release and mod reply 10 years.
    So there no need to update to new version on Rolling basis.

Cheers
    Not sure what you're trying to say here...people who look for rolling release distros don't necessarily care about long term support or extreme stability, it's just a different user base.

Beans

Top notch. Let us know how it rolls.

I attempted a mini.install one day about four years ago and haven't done any other kind since. Love it.

Oh, tell I lie, I did do a Xubuntu-core install on my new desktop a couple of weeks ago, but that is pretty close to the mini.
    So, I went ahead and tried it in virtualbox, and to keep things as clean as possible, every package I installed with the -no-install-recommends argument.

I've gotta say, even though I installed all the apps I wanted, I felt like there were bits missing here and there that made the system function cohesively. It was also a lot more work than just installing a default kubuntu installation and then removing what you don't want. Obviously doing it that way you don't remove everything that you don't need, because it is very hard to hunt down every single package and library that you don't need, except for obvious big apps that you can see easily. So there are disadvantages here as well.

Overall though, it is probably easier and more headache-free to just install the full desktop and remove select apps at your choosing.

Anyone had a similar experience?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I will add this: A mini install, or at least your first one or two, tend to 'mature' over time. Those missing bits are found and you work out how to get a solid system. By the time you're on your third or fourth it takes not long to get the system as you want it (even less if you are upgrading from release to release cos it already is).

Have fun.

Beans

Start a log of the packages you either add to a mini or remove from a full install. This gives you a base to work from, even though the exact packages you need for any given install will change you'll at least have a base for what works right.

You could create this as a script (sudo apt-get install ...) but over time the names of packages will change, some packages cease to exist and others are replaced by some other project. Easier to use but harder to maintain, if you get what I'm saying.

Beans

I will add this: A mini install, or at least your first one or two, tend to 'mature' over time. Those missing bits are found and you work out how to get a solid system. By the time you're on your third or fourth it takes not long to get the system as you want it (even less if you are upgrading from release to release cos it already is).

Have fun.
    Good point, I shall keep this in mind!

Quote Originally Posted by 1clue View Post
    Start a log of the packages you either add to a mini or remove from a full install. This gives you a base to work from, even though the exact packages you need for any given install will change you'll at least have a base for what works right.

You could create this as a script (sudo apt-get install ...) but over time the names of packages will change, some packages cease to exist and others are replaced by some other project. Easier to use but harder to maintain, if you get what I'm saying.
    That is actually a good idea, I've thought of doing that in the past but I guess I forgot about it as an option this time around. Once I do have a base package list I could easily write a little script. Thanks for the idea!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234