Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Update Manager hangs when trying to do an upgrade

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Update Manager hangs when trying to do an upgrade

You could try and install using a minimal CD.
    See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD
    I used to install that way Lubuntu on a very old laptop with a broken DVD-drive.

Topsiho

Beans

Thanks to howefield and Topsiho for their valuable advice, which I really do appreciate. However, after sleeping on this, I come back to my original goal which was to upgrade my OS in a way that preserves my local settings - to Apache, mailman, MySQL and so on. Installing a new OS on top of the existing one will put me back to zero with these, and in spite of my best efforts to preserve them there will be some that I have forgotten. So, I'd really like to focus on fixing the Update Manager. Should I perhaps be asking about this elsewhere?

Beans

I don't think you are getting the point of the first thing I mentioned.

By pointing your sources.list at the old-releases repositories, you may fix your broken Update Manager.

Beans

Well, I have renamed my existing sources.list and created a new one like this:

Code:
    deb http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lucid main restricted universe multiverse
    deb http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lucid-updates main restricted universe multiverse
    deb http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lucid-security main restricted universe multiverse
    and I've gone so far as to enter

$ sudo apt-get update
    $ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

at the command line. The update manager GUI still hangs when I click the close button.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pce-accesswave View Post
    Thanks to howefield and Topsiho for their valuable advice, which I really do appreciate. However, after sleeping on this, I come back to my original goal which was to upgrade my OS in a way that preserves my local settings - to Apache, mailman, MySQL and so on. Installing a new OS on top of the existing one will put me back to zero with these, and in spite of my best efforts to preserve them there will be some that I have forgotten. So, I'd really like to focus on fixing the Update Manager. Should I perhaps be asking about this elsewhere?
    The odds of your "local settings - to Apache, mailman, MySQL and so on" being retained after performing a release upgrade are slim to none. You previously mentioned having installed at least one package from a source other than the Ubuntu repos and the odds of performing a successful release upgrade go down with each and every user tweak.

I'm curious why you can't boot from USB? Or DVD? If you're using older hardware that shipped only with a CD drive I wonder how compatible it would be with the Unity DE?

Lucid (10.04) still used the GNOME 2 DE whereas Precise (12.04) and later versions use the Unity DE. Are you aware of those changes? Precise did offer a fallback to Unity-2D but that session has now been dropped in later versions. It's possible that you might find your hardware to be incompatible with Unity, or that you may just personally prefer a different DE.

I really think it's imperative to be able to run a live session of a supported version of Ubuntu (or one of its flavors) on any hardware that's going to run Ubuntu (or any flavor) just to perform potentially needed repair operations. So I'd first concentrate my efforts on getting a live version of Ubuntu (or some flavor) to run on that hardware. Then check compatibility of the hardware with your desired flavor.

The desktop version of Lucid (10.04) has been EOL since May 2013 and even the server version went EOL in April of this year:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

You will almost certainly want to stick with LTS versions since the support cycle of interim releases has now been reduced to 9 months, whereas the LTS versions are supported for 5 years after their initial release. If you can get a live session to run via CD/DVD/USB then a release upgrade may be offered during reinstallation, but even then don't expect all previous settings to be preserved.

Beans

This has gotten to be a much bigger project than I expected. I'm going to leave the computer as it is - it runs and does what I need it to do. I may also explore gradually configuring an eventual replacement for this one.

Thanks to all for your time and expertise.

Peter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12