Thread: Disk is OK with 1115 bad sectors!?!?!?!?!?

Beans

Disk is OK with 1115 bad sectors!?!?!?!?!?

So I'm a bit confused, the SMART status of my disk is OK with over a thousand bad sectors!? So what’s up with the message?

fsck comes back clean

Code:
    e2fsck 1.42.9 (4-Feb-2014)
    Multimedia: clean, 68339/218595328 files, 787406893/874354176 blocks
    gdisk comes back clean

Code:
    GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.8.8

Partition table scan:
      MBR: protective
      BSD: not present
      APM: not present
      GPT: present

Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT.

Command (? for help): v

No problems found. 4062 free sectors (2.0 MiB) available in 2
    segments, the largest of which is 2048 (1024.0 KiB) in size
    SMART data assessment:

SMART.png

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Disk is OK with 1115 bad sectors!?!?!?!?!?

This looks like a new disk. Contact the manufacturer and get an RMA for a replacement. Back up any important data, which is probably not much for only 6 days of use. It's possible that shipping damage or just break-in wear is causing some sectors to not be read. Depending on where you bought this disk, it could be a second-quality disk sold at a discount. It runs, but does not meet specifications.

The disk is fine, until it is not fine.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by n.e.t.gallatin View Post
    So I'm a bit confused, the SMART status of my disk is OK with over a thousand bad sectors!? So what’s up with the message?

No problems found. 4062 free sectors (2.0 MiB) available in 2
    segments, the largest of which is 2048 (1024.0 KiB) in size[/CODE]

SMART data assessment:

SMART.png
    Please give the rest of the S.M.A.R.T. Attributes. See the scroll bar on the right? Scroll down to show the rest of the Attributes.

Some S.M.A.R.T. Attributes are anomalies, because their use depends on the manufacturer. If they are "Pending Sectors" then I would be worried.

Also, what make/model is the drive?

I'd run the extended S.M.A.R.T. test (may take a few hours).

I usually use GSmartControl for doing S.M.A.R.T. stuff.

Beans

smart2.pngsmart1.png

bought 1/14/2014

WD Green WD40EZRX 4TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA - OEM

Could it be software or hardware related? I've been having issues ever since I installed a iStar backpane, and started running Mint 17.
    Last edited by n.e.t.gallatin; December 16th, 2015 at 09:35 PM.

Beans

Oh, I have one of those drives. That's a real error - probably a catastrophic failure. You can verify that by running the Extended S.M.A.R.T. test or even the short one (which should take only two minutes). You can run these S.M.A.R.T. tests with GSmartControl. I would be very surprised if it passes the extended test with that many pending sectors.

I agree with tgalati4: RMA it if it's still under warranty - get your data off (if you can) and get it replaced.

Beans

Thank You, It did fail

Beans

Personally, I would wipe it too once you've copied your data off, before you send it back. (Unless you aren't worried about the remote possibility of some hack at WD seeing it.) It would be curious to see if wiping it gets rid of the pending sectors. I've done that a few times to clear pending sectors, but you have over a thousand - doubt it would work. I'd RMA it now no matter what.

You can wipe the drive - write zeros to it - easily once you're sure your data is off!!! - with this command:

Code:
    sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=16M
    BE CAREFUL with the dd command! This assumes your 4TB drive is still at /dev/sdb - please make sure that's still the right device ID before issuing the command above so that you don't wipe the wrong disk!

That dd command will probably take about eight hours on a 4TB drive, so it's something to launch before you go to bed. If you do it, again I'd check the number of pending sectors one more time before you send it back, just to see if the number went down, up, or stayed the same.