Thread: Graphics Glitch (?) with the ImageJ app.

Beans

Graphics Glitch (?) with the ImageJ app.

Hi there,

I just recently switched to Unix/Linux Ubuntu 15.10 with the GNOME desktop after using Windows OS for years... therefore - just in advance - I would like to ask for Your forgiveness regarding my inexperience.
    I am running Ubuntu 15.10 (64-bit), GNOME desktop interface on the following machine: Lenovo-ThinkPad-L450, Intel® Core™ i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz × 4, Intel® HD Graphics 5500 (Broadwell GT2), plus some minor hardware changes (substituting the built-in HDD with Samsung 850 V-NAND SSD, and a SODIMM RAM upgrade).

So here is my problem:
    ImageJ is a Java-based image analysis tool I run in parallel to the 'gimp' and 'inkscape' applications due to easy customizability (plugins, macros, data-sheet output, ...) I need for intended scientific purposes.
    After successfully installing the ImageJ application either through the Ubuntu-Software-Manager, or the 'sudo apt-get' command via the terminal, I am able to both, start the application by clicking on the respective icon, or by accessing an image-file through right-click 'open-with...ImageJ'.
    So far, so good...

Unfortunately quite a lot of the selections in the ImageJ 'user interface' (i.e. the 'menu-bar') and some additional writings are heavily distorted, or have been replaced by irregular black bars. (I tried to do screen-shots using both, key-shortcuts, or the 'screenshot'application, but neither runs while I am actually inside this menus.)

I tried to make sure to get an updated version using the following commands: 'sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade', which seemed to work - at least I didn't get a single error message...
    Because the problem persisted I suspected an issue with the Linux driver for my Intel HD 5500 graphics card (?), which is not displayed under the 'Software & Updates' > 'Additional Drivers' > 'Proprietary Drivers' panel (neither did I find any clue in the Ubuntu-Software-Manager after enabling 'Universe' and 'Proprietary' repositories).
    Therefore I went to the intel homepage to try and find the respective Linux-compatible driver manually. The manufacturer re-directed my to the following website https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads from where I downloaded and ran Graphics Installer 1.2.1 for Ubuntu* 15.10, 64-bit which apparently tried to read out my system and automatically get me the latest appropriate driver:
    [...] Performing diagnostics [...]
    Checking if Intel graphics card available... OK
    Retrieving information from 01.org... OK
    Checking distribution... OK
    Checking kernel version... OK
    Checking available repositories... OK
    Checking package manager status... OK

[I hit the 'Next'/'Install' button]

[...] Upgrading components [...]
    Ensuring consistent system... OK
    Listing packages... OK
    Setting up repositories... OK
    Installing packages...
    Updating package cache... Failed

...so therefore I am somehow stuck here... for whatever reason...

Interestingly I noticed, since the latest update of the Ubuntu-GNOME OS [this morning] that sometimes [but only sometimes after multiple times of opening and closing] the entries in the ImageJ user interface are miraculously displayed correctly... how can I make that happen consistently?

I am open for any suggestions regarding either, how to get the proprietary driver for my intel graphics card properly installed, or, how to get rid of those glitches with ImageJ.
    [I am also having issues to launch the 'Utopia Documents reader' (scientific .pdf reader), I got from the Ubuntu Software center, but I suppose I should open a separate thread for this purpose?]

Thanks in advance!

# Update [2015.12.12] - I ran the 'sudo apt-get upgrade' command line which seemed to have solved an internal issue; I was able to run the intel program just to determine that the newest graphic cards driver has already been installed. The issue withe the ImageJ graphics glitch still persists.
    Last edited by schwobi; December 12th, 2015 at 01:15 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Graphics Glitch (?) with the ImageJ app.

There is no proprietary driver for the intel GPU. The Intel driver is FOSS..

Before running "apt-get upgrade" one would normally run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    to refresh the package database cache.

Your ubuntu version should have very recent kernel etc.

If this screen menu corruption only affects one specific application I would not suspect the video driver 2d acceleration etc. More likely the GUI "toolkit" library the app is using.

Beans

Thank You for Your response.

Quote Originally Posted by blm-ubunet View Post
    Before running "apt-get upgrade" one would normally run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    to refresh the package database cache.

Your ubuntu version should have very recent kernel etc.
    I did indeed run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
    Therefore the cache should have been up to date...?
    Just to make sure, I also ran both commands independently
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    , followed by
    Code:
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    , but the glitch persists.

If this screen menu corruption only affects one specific application I would not suspect the video driver 2d acceleration etc. More likely the GUI "toolkit" library the app is using.
    Yes, as far as I recognized, only the ImageJ application seems to be affected. Searching both, this forum and the web, I did not find people reporting something similar - therefore I argued it would like have something to do with my personal hardware/driver setup...

Independently - do You have any suggestions of how to solve this issue?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Impressive s/w project (ImageJ) & author..

ImageJ has dependency on the java runtime default-jre or openjdk-7-jre.
    The menus render fine with Ubuntu 14.04 & old intel atom h/w.

Assuming that the display glitches are caused by interaction between GTK2 "toolkit" & the direct rendering manager..
    It is possible that disabling some 2d acceleration features (SNA etc) of your intel GPU might fix /workaround bugs in the GTK2? toolkit.
    There is a program "driconf" that can be used to disable diff aspects of the intel driver DRI. This program is not widely recommended & could be too out-dated so YMMV.
    Last edited by blm-ubunet; December 12th, 2015 at 09:20 PM.