Thread: Display Settings Lost On Restart

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Display Settings Lost On Restart

Hi! Have used Ubuntu on System76 computers & other hardware for about 10 years - at first with Gnome, then later (for the past few years) with Unity. My present System76 box is a 15" Pangolin: i7, 8GB RAM, Samsung 840 SSD. I also run an Acer 22" monitor as a second display using an HDMI hookup.

I used to like Gnome, so I thought I'd try the latest Gnome again in the form of UbuntuGnome 14.04 LTS. I installed it alongside my existing work installation of standard vanilla Ubuntu 14.04, which has been working great in every respect. My idea was that I'd run UbuntuGnome for a few months alongside my working install to see how I liked it. If I liked it well enough, I might go for UbuntuGnome, instead of plain vanilla Ubuntu, when the next LTS comes out.

I installed UbuntuGnome and everything went fine, as expected. But I've run into one glitch I can't figure out. It's the Display Settings - I have the laptop physically located to the RIGHT of the big display, using the laptop as the primary display. The default Display setting is the other way round, with the laptop screen in the Display dialogue shown to the left of the second display.

In Unity, no problem - I re-arranged the screens in Display Settings and applied it, and it was set forevermore. But in Gnome, when I re-arrange the screens and apply the setting, the setup only lasts during the current session. If I shut down, the settings revert to the default, which is to have the laptop screen to the LEFT of the larger display. So every time I start, I have to go to the Display Settings and correct it. Pain in the ass - a minor one, admittedly, but still a pain.

So: Does anyone know how to make the display settings "stick" between starts?

Thanks!
    System76 Ratel, Ubuntu 16.04; Thinkpad T420, UbuntuMATE 16.04; MacBook dual-booting UbuntuMATE 16.04; various other laptops/desktops with Ubuntu, Mint & Puppy. . . Long Live Linux!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Re: Display Settings Lost On Restart

I had the exact same problem (with native Ubuntu Gnome), I wanted a mirrored display for my TV, solved it by putting an xrandr line in my startup apps:

Code:
    xrandr --output HDMI-0 --pos 0x0

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Smile Re: Display Settings Lost On Restart

Quote Originally Posted by jim_deadlock View Post
    I had the exact same problem (with native Ubuntu Gnome), I wanted a mirrored display for my TV, solved it by putting an xrandr line in my startup apps:

Code:
    xrandr --output HDMI-0 --pos 0x0
    Thanks, Jim! Appreciate the response.

Just to be certain what we are talking about: will the command you quoted reverse the order or position of the two monitors - or will that command result in the 22" monitor mirroring the primary (laptop) monitor? I don't want mirroring - I'm using the big display for additional desktop real estate. I just want to reverse the two monitors' left-right relationship, and have it stay that way between starts.

Cheers!
    System76 Ratel, Ubuntu 16.04; Thinkpad T420, UbuntuMATE 16.04; MacBook dual-booting UbuntuMATE 16.04; various other laptops/desktops with Ubuntu, Mint & Puppy. . . Long Live Linux!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 17.04 Zesty Zapus

First you would need to find out the IDs of your active displays:

Code:
    xrandr
    Then:

Code:
    xrandr --output RIGHT-SCREEN-ID --right-of LEFT-SCREEN-ID
    Put that in your startup apps and you're all set.

Don't forget to mark thread as solved.
    Last edited by jim_deadlock; December 5th, 2015 at 12:17 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks Jim! Much appreciated.