Thread: Virtualbox cannot run VMs

Beans

Question Virtualbox cannot run VMs

I've been running several VMs on Virtualbox for years. An automatic update managed to break all of them. The version is DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS". The upgrade event was recorded in /var/logs/dkms.log as: 2015-11-26 08:39:17 upgrade virtualbox 4.1.12-dfsg-2ubuntu0.10 4.1.44-dfsg-1+deb7u1ubuntu1. The VMs have been using VBoxGuestAdditions version is 4.1.12.

From another Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS system I tried to install virtualbox using Synaptic Package Manager. It gave me virtualbox 4.1.12 but when I selected it, an error occurred that the server did not have that available.

My questions are:
    1. How to make my VMs function again.
    2. Should I upgrade Virtualbox and the VMs to some newer version like 5.0?

Thanks,
    Charles

Beans

Re: Virtualbox cannot run VMs

The error message given is:
    RTR3Init failed with rc=-1912 (rc=-1912)The VirtualBox kernel modules do not match this version of VirtualBox. The installation of
    VirtualBox was apparently not successful. Executing '/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup'may correct this. Make sure that you do not mix the OSE
    version and the PUEL version of VirtualBox.

where: supR3HardenedMainInitRuntime
    what: 4
    VERR_VM_DRIVER_VERSION_MISMATCH (-1912) - The installed support driver doesn't match the version of the user.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Virtualbox cannot run VMs

Try following the error message by running
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
    The problem is that portions of the Linux kernel need to be recompiled to use the new VirtualBox "module." If that command doesn't work, try running
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install dkms
    then try the first command again.

Personally I use the Oracle repositories as described here: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linu...xdistributions. They keep up-to-date with new releases and install flawlessly.

You would need to remove the Ubuntu version first with
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge virtualbox virtualbox*
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Smile Re: Virtualbox cannot run VMs

Thank you! This worked perfectly. When I installed the new upgrade it asked for an upgrade to the extension pack as well so it guided me through.
    Thanks, SeijiSensi-san.