Thread: Pre-install ubuntu on a laptop

Beans

Question Pre-install ubuntu on a laptop

Hi to start off I an new to Linux in general... so any help would be greatly appreciated!
    The company I work for is sponsoring a local school a new laptop for the top student in grade 7.
    All the local schools here use ubuntu so I need to install ubuntu over the pre-installed windows. But I want to install it so when the new owner powers up for the first time it must look as if the laptop came out with ubuntu (a clean install without any users,passwords or settings). And for a ultimate prize I would like to add some cool backgrounds we created with our logos on, again without having to add a user and going through the setup process. Would like to give the student the complete experience of a new laptop!
    Also I am having to chose between version 14 and version 15 what would you suggest as I read 14 has LTS where as 15 only has 9months. Is this a problem as I doubt the new user will have any access to the internet!(did I forget to mention we are based in South-Africa and the school is based in a very pour community? So internet is a big problem)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Pre-install ubuntu on a laptop

Exciting.

I would recommend always staying with LTS. So for now that means 14.04 LTS. Later, when 16.04 LTS is ready, you can look and see if you should stay with 14.04 a while longer or not. But 14.04 LTS is good through April 2019.

As far as installation goes, if you want to set the system part way and let the users fill in the details, then there is (or was) an OEM mode for installation. I don't know if it can be done in bulk, though.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You should do an OEM install

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ub...aller_Overview

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If the user will not have internet access because of location then a main hazard to computer security will have been removed. An important part of support for any version of Ubuntu is security fixes. That machine will not get that support without internet access. But, then again, the machine will not be at risk if it is not connected to the internet.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my post. It made sense what you said.

Beans

Thanks grahammechanical for the link! Makes searching for the form much easier.

Beans

Thanks everyone for your time and for sharing your knowledge. I managed to install a OEM version on the laptop. Just interesting version 14.04 has the OEM option where as I could not find or access the OEM setting on version 15(well from what I could determine after almost punching a hole where my left shift key was positioned). Any idea why? Was testing the instillation on one of my Desktop PC before giving it a go on the laptop so I went for version 15 instead but with no luck, ended up installing ubuntu the standard way .
    Just again thanks for everyone taking the time to give advice and solutions! Decided to start playing with ubuntu myself...next up installing MySql.... but not right now hahahahaha.