Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Sound from Headphones & Microphone not working

Beans

No Sound from Headphones & Microphone not working

Still having trouble getting everything to work properly on my ASUS F555U. I've resolved most of my issues but the system microphone isn't working and there is no sound from the headphones. Both work on the Windows partition.

Anyway, I've determined that I have Realtek ALC256 and Intel Skylake HDMI from the command:
    cat /proc/asound/card0/codec* | grep Codec

On my Windows partition it's referred to as the Realtek HD Audio Codecs.

I am getting some errors at startup time as shown in the photo below:
    IMG_20151125_103830.jpg

Beans

Re: No Sound from Headphones & Microphone not working

What version of Ubuntu are you running? Since you have very recent hardware, you might want to try the latest sound drivers: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/UpgradingAlsa/DKMS

Beans

I am running Ubuntu 15.10 with kernel 4.3 so as to have the most recent possible drivers. I already tried upgrading alsa as suggested in that link but it didn't work. Any other suggestions?

Beans

The error messages in your screenshot could be related to this bug: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=92685

That doesn't explain loss of sound though. See if you can get more info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/AlsaInfo

Beans

"Your ALSA information is located at http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=20...8dcb7b078c1382

Please inform the person helping you."

Thanks for your help so far!

Beans

Have you tried adjusting headphone volume in alsamixer?:
    Code:
    alsamixer
    Code:
    Simple mixer control 'Headphone',0
      Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
      Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
      Limits: Playback 0 - 87
      Mono:
      Front Left: Playback 0 [0%] [-65.25dB] [off]
      Front Right: Playback 0 [0%] [-65.25dB] [off]
    As for the microphone, it is not even exposing a control and it is not connected to other pins:
    Code:
    Node 0x1a [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x40048b: Stereo Amp-In
      Amp-In caps: ofs=0x00, nsteps=0x03, stepsize=0x27, mute=0
      Amp-In vals:  [0x00 0x00]
      Pincap 0x00003724: IN Detect
        Vref caps: HIZ 50 GRD 80 100
      Pin Default 0x90a70130: [Fixed] Mic at Int N/A
        Conn = Analog, Color = Unknown
        DefAssociation = 0x3, Sequence = 0x0
        Misc = NO_PRESENCE
      Pin-ctls: 0x24: IN VREF_80
      Unsolicited: tag=00, enabled=0
      Power states:  D0 D1 D2 D3 EPSS
      Power: setting=D3, actual=D3
    It's a long shot, but hdajackretask utility may be able to help you if you set that pin (0x1a) to microphone.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install alsa-tools-gui
    echo autospawn = no >> ~/.config/pulse/client.conf
    killall pulseaudio
    hdajackretask
    pulseaudio -D
    More likely, you will have to file a bug to get your sound fixed: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/buglist....resolution=---

Beans

I'm trying to install the Realtek driver for HD audio, downloaded directly from realtek. I have the build-essential package installed and I have patch installed (now).

Following their instructions, I extracted the driver files, entered the appropriate directory, typed:

sudo ./configure --with-cards=hda-intel
    sudo make

But then I got some errors:
    /home/me/Installs/Rt-Linux-HDaudio-5.18/alsa-driver-RTv5.18/alsa/acore/info.c: In function ‘snd_info_version_read’:
    /home/me/Installs/Rt-Linux-HDaudio-5.18/alsa-driver-RTv5.18/alsa/acore/info.c:1065:22: error: macro "__DATE__" might prevent reproducible builds [-Werror=date-time]
    "Compiled on " __DATE__ " for kernel %s"
    ^
    cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
    scripts/Makefile.build:258: recipe for target '/home/me/Installs/Rt-Linux-HDaudio-5.18/alsa-driver-RTv5.18/alsa/acore/info.o' failed
    make[3]: *** [/home/me/Installs/Rt-Linux-HDaudio-5.18/alsa-driver-RTv5.18/alsa/acore/info.o] Error 1
    scripts/Makefile.build:403: recipe for target '/home/me/Installs/Rt-Linux-HDaudio-5.18/alsa-driver-RTv5.18/alsa/acore' failed
    make[2]: *** [/home/me/Installs/Rt-Linux-HDaudio-5.18/alsa-driver-RTv5.18/alsa/acore] Error 2
    Makefile:1378: recipe for target '_module_/home/me/Installs/Rt-Linux-HDaudio-5.18/alsa-driver-RTv5.18/alsa' failed
    make[1]: *** [_module_/home/me/Installs/Rt-Linux-HDaudio-5.18/alsa-driver-RTv5.18/alsa] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.3.0-040300-generic'
    Makefile:167: recipe for target 'compile' failed
    make: *** [compile] Error 2

In the REAME file it says "If can not compile the source code, try to rename the /usr/src/linux-2.x -> /usr/src/linux." But...I'm not sure what that means. Am I supposed to rename my system's directory? That seems like a bad idea, but what do I know.

Beans

I would not bother with the Realtek Linux driver. It often lags behind the kernel to the point where it won't build, and it usually makes things worse if it changes anything.

Beans

Ok, well I have a few updates on this. I decided to give Ubuntu Mate 15.10 a try and I am glad I did. I have the same issues with the Mate edition that I did with the Unity edition, however, I have an option in the sound settings to set my output connector from "speakers" to "headphones". That is the only way I have been able to get my headphones to work properly thus far, however it is a bit annoying. Is there any way around doing this manually?

Also, I've tried most of the sound profiles including "Analog Stereo Duplex" and "Analog Stereo Output" with similar results.

Still no luck with the microphone...
    Last edited by aem0512; December 21st, 2015 at 06:06 AM.

Beans

REmove the alsa-dkms package and reinstall kernel image for good measure:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove alsa-dkms  #I think that's the name of the package, but don't quote me on that and I'm about to leave for work
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-image-`uname -r`

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast