Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Running Ubuntu But Now Lubuntu Seems to be Causing Mischief

Beans

Re: Running Ubuntu But Now Lubuntu Seems to be Causing Mischief

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Including me!
    But the OP insists that he has not, and did not, mix DEs on his computer, so we are still left trying to figure out where those lubuntu packages came from that appear to have taken over the artwork on the system.

With a bit of luck we may get some clues from my suggested command to grep the dpkg.log files
    Yes, there is some ambiguity about what exactly OP did.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Might be the Plymouth theme's been changed. Might try what's shown here: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/quick-tipp...ucid-lynx.html and look for the Ubuntu Plymouth splash screen entry & pick it & reboot.
    This post is like Brigadoon!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Following up on AJGreeny's suggestion....indicates a lot of extras were installed to existing including things more associated with Lubuntu, such as, Abiword?, Lubuntu Core and others.

Looking back into memory, I was experiencing problems related to warnings cropping up saying there were problems, not specific, and they should 'be reported'! Also some warnings about 'update info being outdated' and suggestions how to sort them. A recommendation appeared suggesting a solution might be to run....sudo apt-get install -f.

Whatever happened results in a Hybrid ubuntu/lubuntu system which, while looking strange, seems to work satisfactorily.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Plumtreed View Post
    indicates a lot of extras were installed to existing including things more associated with Lubuntu, such as, Abiword?, Lubuntu Core and others.
    So the original contention still stands: This couldn't have happened in Virtualbox.

Somehow you managed to install something on top of your Ubuntu. Surely I'm not the only one curious about what you did exactly. Can you please describe what you did?
    Meanwhile, please do NOT blame Virtualbox.
    Galiza Nação!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No, It difficult to think that Virtualbox could have had anything to do with it!

From memory, I downloaded Lubuntu, ran it in VBox and then used K3B to burn a DVD for install on the other machine.

Not necessarily related to lubuntu, because it had happened previously, my 'desktop' suggested there was a problem and even suggested running 'sudo apt-get install -f, which I did.

....I don't recall doing anything more adventurous than that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Vladlenin5000 View Post
    Meanwhile, please do NOT blame Virtualbox.
    The title seems to imply that Lubuntu is at fault
    Given the lack of clarity, I suggest that OP use the Report button to ask that this thread be closed. OP could start a new thread in which specific information is provided to help others understand what exactly is being done.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    The title seems to imply that Lubuntu is at fault
    Given the lack of clarity, I suggest that OP use the Report button to ask that this thread be closed. OP could start a new thread in which specific information is provided to help others understand what exactly is being done.
    Not much interested in closing this thread........and there is little more I can add....I have indicated a problem that developed. Lubuntu has clearly become superimposed on my Ubuntu software. Mainly manifested by the lubuntu logo and blue screen showing on start up and shut down whereas normally one would get the Ubuntu Logo and maroon colour.

Ambiguous it is not! The situation is abundantly clear..............I did nothing but follow a process that I have been doing for years with many and varied other operating systems! This time when I tried Lubuntu it somehow intruded into my Ubuntu OS.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Plumtreed View Post
    I did nothing but follow a process that I have been doing for years with many and varied other operating systems!
    Is the process something along this lines?
    Create a new VM (defining the OS type, drive, etc.), add the Lubuntu ISO as a virtual CD drive, then start the VM and install as usual?
    Galiza Nação!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladlenin5000 View Post
    Is the process something along this lines?
    Create a new VM (defining the OS type, drive, etc.), add the Lubuntu ISO as a virtual CD drive, then start the VM and install as usual?
    I downloaded Lubuntu 14.04, did a md5sum check and then created a session on VirtualBox named Lubuntu. I set type to Linux and version to Other Linux (32bit).
    I probably set the Memory size @ 512MB and Hard Drive to only a bit less than 8GB.
    Storage to IDE PIIX4 and selected the VDI file.............I didn't do an install just ran live.

It works and runs as it should so I decided to burn DVD and install it on a different machine as planned. Did that and it all went as it should.

Next time I booted the original machine the Lubuntu logo appeared and so on.

Beans
    Distro

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

Arthur Conan Doyle
    Considering:
    1. Doing as you did couldn't possibly have installed Lubuntu specific packages in the host system;
    2. You're sure you didn't do it yourself...

Then someone else did. The dates/timestamps in the log should give you a clue.
    Galiza Nação!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast