Thread: Just Reinstalled 14.04 and Now I'm Having Major Download Issues

Beans

Just Reinstalled 14.04 and Now I'm Having Major Download Issues

Hi,

I just reinstalled 14.04 and everything now that has to do with installing and downloading/updating my system is at pretty much a standstill. My web downloading is at full speed but when I tried to install programs from the Ubuntu Software Center right after installing the OS, It took 10mins (I timed it) fo the first program to begin downloading. It just sat idling and read "Download 0 bytes of..." After it finally downloaded it took an unusually long time for "Applying Changes" to complete. After it finally did, the next program in line again took ~10mins to start. What is happening? I tried installing a program via terminal (PPA) and the repositories were fine, but when it came to the "update" part of the installation it too took like 10mins to complete.

I noticed this happened earlier in the day when I "1st" reinstalled my system. I thought maybe something did not install correctly so when I came home from work tonight rather than diagnose it I chose to just reinstall it again, I mean what are the odds that this would happen again right? After all its never done this before. Well, I was wrong. It did happen again so now I come to you guys for some much needed help. What is wrong with my installation processes?
    Last edited by jooge; November 16th, 2015 at 07:13 AM. Reason: image thumbnailed

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Just Reinstalled 14.04 and Now I'm Having Major Download Issues

You could look at changing the source mirrors
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans

How can I do that?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

@ jooge:

Please use the attachment functionality to attach large images or simply post the imgur URL.

Large images can cause difficulty or even cost money for those with slow internet connections or data transfer limits.

Thanks.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

You can change the sources in the Software Center application. I usually pick a university nearby since they have good bandwidth and serve a much smaller clientele than the standard servers.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Oh I see now. Thanks guys.

@QIII - I usually never use imgur for previews here as they dont allow you to pick a size. I usually make my previews 300x300 pixels.