Thread: No icons in root applications

Beans

No icons in root applications

I've installed fresh kubuntu 15.10. There is problem with icons in root applications. When I start kdesudo dolphin, then dolphin start with no icons. Other applications like kate, systemsettings also have no icons.

Is there any solution?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: No icons in root applications

Please see here about running graphical root applications : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
    We do not provide support to running the graphical environment as root. You can look elsewhere about the root theme however.
    Thread closed.

Edit : reopened.
    Last edited by bapoumba; November 8th, 2015 at 12:23 PM.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

We do not provide support to running the graphical environment as root.

This is not about running the graphical environment as root. This is about occasionally running the file manager as root. I have done this for years on KDE with no problems. It makes some tasks more convenient as long as one is careful about it. One distro I have used, I don't remember which one, even had a launcher to open Dolphin as root set up and placed in the menu. With Kubuntu 15.10, the Plasma desktop it currently employs, and the current version of Dolphin, this function has been crippled. One question I have is whether this was intentional or whether it is a bug that hasn't been worked out yet. I have set up a launcher for Kate that opens it as root, and it seems to work just fine. I can therefore still do most of what I used to do by opening Dolphin as root easily enough, so crippling Dolphin's ability to run in root mode is no great tragedy. I have, however, also noticed that I cannot configure applications to have a different color scheme when running in root than when they run in user mode as I used to. System Settings 5 seems to have the same problems Dolphin has when opened with the kdesudo command. If I fight through the crippling of the interface, It does actually seem to allow me to make the changes, but the changes are not implemented.

Beans

I think, your bug is already reported: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...n/+bug/1509562
    I run Dolphin from XUbuntu and experience the same (as regular non-root user)

Beans

adding
    XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP="KDE"
    to /etc/environment

solves the problem for me

Beans

furumaro22
    adding
    XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP="KDE"
    to /etc/environment