Page 24 of 39 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Re: Ubuntu on Dell Xps 15 9550 new Infinity display (i7 6gen 16gbr UHD 4k touch

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 15.10 on Dell Xps 15 9550 new Infinity display (i7 6gen 16gbr UHD 4k touch

Thanks!

But I'm also have issues. After installing Ubuntu, I switched back from UEFI mode to RAID because Windows will fail to boot if Dell XPS is set to UEFI.

I pretty much can only use Windows when I set it to RAID and Ubuntu that I installed using 'Install Ubuntu Alongside Windows Bootloader' on UEFI.

Beans

Re: Re: Ubuntu 15.10 on Dell Xps 15 9550 new Infinity display (i7 6gen 16gbr UHD 4k t

Quote Originally Posted by bertusrex View Post
    All 4 corners work on mine (although not all have the same 'feeling'). A 'sticky' spacebar is a common problem with XPS 15's, that might be related to yours. To see if anything is wrong underneath your spacebar you can remove it and put it back quite easily, see e.g. here for a video.
    I will check it out, thank you and sorry for the off topic here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowei_Zhao View Post
    Thanks!

But I'm also have issues. After installing Ubuntu, I switched back from UEFI mode to RAID because Windows will fail to boot if Dell XPS is set to UEFI.

I pretty much can only use Windows when I set it to RAID and Ubuntu that I installed using 'Install Ubuntu Alongside Windows Bootloader' on UEFI.
    I do not know if it is possible to use Ubuntu having the RAID activated, at least I did not manage to get it working. What you have to do is what was mentioned previously in this topic (if you go through the first 5 pages), activate the AHCI mode and change your windows from RAID to AHCI.
    Last edited by howefield; February 9th, 2016 at 10:48 AM.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 15.10 on Dell Xps 15 9550 new Infinity display (i7 6gen 16gbr UHD 4k touch

Quote Originally Posted by ghostcode View Post
    I do not know if it is possible to use Ubuntu having the RAID activated, at least I did not manage to get it working. What you have to do is what was mentioned previously in this topic (if you go through the first 5 pages), activate the AHCI mode and change your windows from RAID to AHCI.
    The basic idea mentioned earlier is that if you start Windows once in safe mode after changing to AHCI, it will change something and you'll be able to boot after that. However, in AHCI mode, you'll get random BSODs in Windows (CRITICAL PROCESS DIED). The only solution to that seems to be to install some Samsung NVMe drivers for another drive (e.g., the 850) as no official drivers are available for the PM951 that comes in the XPS 15. The downside of that is that reboot may not work from windows, but I gather you can shut down and restart instead.

That's what I've gathered so far (I'm still waiting for my XPS 15 to arrive and plan on dual booting).

Beans

Hi,

Is it OK to remove both recovery partitions (one is 2G and the other 16G?)? Will windows still boot without those?

Also what is the minimal partition size needed by W10?

EDIT: OK, I figured those: both recoveries can go, as one can reinstall W10 easily without them, no activation key is needed, and the minimum disk for W10 seems to be around 50G (leaves 10G free on my default install).

Now a real ubuntu question When booting from usb the QHD+ screen's native resolution makes text much too small, how can I scale things up at the boot stage (grub argument?) to make xterm's usable?
    Last edited by zafu; February 7th, 2016 at 01:15 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BeeOnRope View Post
    The basic idea mentioned earlier is that if you start Windows once in safe mode after changing to AHCI, it will change something and you'll be able to boot after that. However, in AHCI mode, you'll get random BSODs in Windows (CRITICAL PROCESS DIED).
    This is exactly what I am experiencing.
    I have a new dell precision 5510 (intel xeon, 16GB ram ddr4, 512GB pm951 samsung, quadro m1000m, FHD screen) and after updating windows 7 partition to windows 10, I installed ubuntu in dual boot (I have activated AHCI mode, therefore I rebooted windows in safe mode in order to install ahci drivers).
    The environment seems to work well, but sometimes I have random BSODs screen on windows (one of them is 'KERNEL_DATA_IN_PAGE_ERROR' or 'CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED'). Additionally, when I reboot the machine from windows, if I'll choose windows from the grub menu it will not reboot and I will need to shutdown and reboot manually in order to access.

Do you have ideas to solve the problem? (I would avoid to reinstall windows from the scratch

p.s. However this is a very beatiful and powerfull machine!

Beans

Can somebody give me a hand with the kernel? Whenever I try to install kernel 4.4 the system will only boot to busybox and alert me that /dev/disk/by-uuid/...../ does not exist.

The UUID corresponds to my root partition, not boot or home. Kernel 4.2 works without any issues so does 4.3.0.994 nightly. I also checked boot-repair.

I am not sure whether this is related but running sudo update-initramfs -u returns.

update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.4.1-040401-generic
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/skl_guc_ver4.bin for module i915
    Last edited by kjano; February 7th, 2016 at 06:52 PM.

Beans

Look at this post:

Quote Originally Posted by eXorus View Post
    Finally Ubuntu 15.10 working fine with my new Dell XPS 9550 (wifi, hdmi with external monitor)

For that I'm using the Kernel 4.4 (4.3 is working better than 4.2 but less than 4.4)
    http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...ine/v4.4-wily/

Code:
    cd /tmp
    wget http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.4-wily/linux-headers-4.4.0-040400-generic_4.4.0-040400.201601101930_amd64.deb
    wget http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.4-wily/linux-headers-4.4.0-040400_4.4.0-040400.201601101930_all.deb
    wget http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.4-wily/linux-image-4.4.0-040400-generic_4.4.0-040400.201601101930_amd64.deb
    sudo dpkg -i linux-headers-4.4.0*.deb linux-image-4.4.0*.deb
    If you have an Warning about sklguc you need to fix it and relaunch sudo dpkg ... To fix it download the bin from Intel Open Source
    Code:
    cd /tmp
    wget https://01.org/sites/default/files/downloads/intelr-graphics-linux/sklgucver43.tar.bz2
    tar -zxvf sklgucver43.tar.bz2
    sudo sh install
    After we need to add more module to boot at the begin of the kernel (solve all my issue about boot with Kernel 4.4)
    Code:
    echo nvme | sudo tee -a /etc/initramfs-tools/modules
    echo i915 | sudo tee -a /etc/initramfs-tools/modules
    echo dm-crypt,aes,xts,sha512 | sudo tee -a /etc/initramfs-tools/modules
    nvme it's for the detection of SSD
    i915 it's about the intel chipset
    dm-crypt it's about the encrypted disk (If you have one if you don't it's not necessary to use this command line)

Finally we need to reconfigure the Kernel with this 3 lines or 2 depends of your configuration
    Code:
    sudo update-initramfs -k 4.4.0-040400-generic -u
    It's very important to do -k instead -all I saw early in this post. -k will edit only the kernel 4.4 and don't touch to the kernel 4.2 that is working at the moment in your laptop. So if something wrong with 4.4 you will be happy to come back to 4.2.

That's all reboot and go to 4.4. Enjoy

More command to manage kernel is like me you try a lot :
    "dpkg -l | grep linux-image" to see all kernel installed or removed in the laptop (rc=deleted, ii= installed you can delete it)
    always keep the last kernel that working (4.2) and try to install 4.4.
    "sudo dpkg --remove linux-imagexxxxxxx" pour supprimer un kernel installé (le passer de ii à rc)
    "uname -r" to know the kernel that working now and don't delete this one.

Last thing I bought the Mouse Dell WM615 but I can't install it (it's a blueetooh mouse) if you have an idea.
    And I can't keep my full resolution (UHD) on my laptop because Ubuntu can't manage two monitor with different resolution. It's working but it's so big for external monitor(1920*1080) and so small in the internal monitor. So I put both the same resolution (1920*1080). Is it possible to do something in Ubuntu for that ?

For information my firmware for video card is : xserver-xorg-video-nouveau

Beans

@lelinolino: Yes, yes, yes! Thank you very much for saving my weekend in just 5 min!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

The last remaining thing I can't seem to fix is the jumpy cursor with the touchpad. When navigating with the touchpad it will often jump to the far bottom left of the screen. I don't think it's due to palm detection or anything like that. I found a thread regarding a kernel patch that supposedly solves the problem, but apparently never got merged :/ I can't seem to find the thread anymore though. It referenced a different version of the XPS.

Beans

Hi,

I finally got my machine. It took a while, since DELL shipped the wrong machine (different HD and battery). So the one that I know have is the Dell Xps 15 9550 (i7 6gen 16gbr UHD 4k touch) 512 SSD.

I followed the steps 1-8 from jchedstrom : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...9#post13382949

Then I have installed kernel 4.4 from eXorus : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...8#post13425368

Pretty much as reported by Decorum_Velox: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...8#post13431658

So far almost everything is working fine. I did not try to fix Bluetooth since I don't really need it, and I don't want to risk messing with the wifi. Just a note I have updated the bios to: Version 01.01.19.
    I also did not risk to install any nvidea drivers yet. The xorg driver should be enough for now. I also have the issue with the tracking pad, however is no show stopper for me.

Together with the computer I also ordered the dell display lin DA100 (should be the DA200 but I guess they were wrong again with the shipping). Anyway, to make it work was quite simple. I got and installed the linux drivers from http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/ubuntu and everything is working. Without the drivers the VGA port was not functional. (the HDMI I did not test it). Both usb and ethernet port worked even without the drivers.

Just as an extra note, before Ubuntu 15.10 I did tried Linux mint 17.3 (Rosa). It seemed to work everything fine from the very beginning, but when I updated the bios I lost wifi, and installed ubuntu from scratch following these instructions.

Thanks for everyone that continues to give feedback.

And now, to give a reply to zafu: You can change the resolution of grub in the same file where you add the extra option for the boot. look for the line:
    #GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480 and you can change it for (example):GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768

Page 24 of 39 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast