Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839

Thread: Re: Ubuntu on Dell Xps 15 9550 new Infinity display (i7 6gen 16gbr UHD 4k touch

Beans

Re: Ubuntu on Dell Xps 15 9550 new Infinity display (i7 6gen 16gbr UHD 4k touch

saroele: I am running Ubuntu only, but I used to have windows on the machine as well, no changes back then.
    at 50C you should indeed have some fan noise. When doing programming, word processing and other low-demand tasks I am running around 35-40C, with fans mostly off. So the question would be why is your laptop running warmer?
    -Did you install something like tlp (or laptop-mode-tools) to enhance powersaving? I am running tlp.
    -Are you using the nvidia chip? I turn mine off by default (via bumblebee/bbswitch), otherwise you may have several watts extra consumption, which also heats your laptop up.
    -You may check your power consumption (while on battery) with powertop. How many watts do you get for a resting desktop? With just-a-little-less than 50% brightness, I get around 13W.
    Hope any of this helps...

Beans

Hi Jan,

your message definitely helps. I think the basic issue is in fact that my power consumption is way too high. With screen brightness to the lowest value, powertop reports something like 26W. I ran
    Code:
    sudo powertop --auto-tune
    and that reduced the consumption to about 23W. Would it make sense to post a html report from powertop here?

I still have to figure out which graphic card is being used. I read that NVIDIA can increase the power consumption by 10W compared to the built in graphic chip, so that's the first thing to check.

As for the fan noise: i have been able to install i8kutils after forcing the load of kernel module with
    Code:
    sudo modprobe i8k force=1
    Now the fan works in cyclic bursts, and I think this is the same issue as reported here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/i8kutils/+bug/410596 In short, the i8kmon fan setting is quickly overturned by the bios and that leads to cycles of fan operation of a few seconds. I had started a separate thread for that: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2352237 I did not yet try the solution proposed there. Did anyone else try it on a 9550 or 9560?

As of writing this message, I found another culprit for power consumption: I'm using a DA-200 adaptor with external monitor connected (VGA) and ethernet. The adapter gets very hot, also the surface of the laptop left of my keyboard is very hot now. Is this normal?
    EDIT: I disconnected the DA-200, switched back on the wifi and after about 15 minutes, the power consumption automatically dropped to about 12W (with lowest screen brightness). What a difference, and also the hot temperatures of the laptop surface left of my keyboard, right above the thunderbolt port, are gone.
    Last edited by saroele; February 13th, 2017 at 11:41 AM.

Beans

Hi saroele,

hm, I have the DA-200 too, but I use it rarely (arrived only last week). However, I have an external USB Harddisk (3.5", self-powered), and when I connect it to the USB-C port, that part of the laptop gets warm too (warm = uses power). If I connect it to the old-style USB port right next to the USB-C port, nothing warms up. I didn't check that with powertop yet. Thunderbolt in Linux appears to be buggy still - maybe a newer kernel will help here, but I'm gonna wait for the next (K)ubuntu release I think. (Yes, I think it's the thunderbolt part, not the USB part, because when I plug a USB device into the USB-C port, something happens on the PCI-E bus according to syslog. Also, I can connect the HDD only once - the next time it can't be mounted anymore, until I reboot)

You didn't mention if you have TLP installed - if not, I recommend that you do, it can help a lot.

Regarding your fan: IMHO, given your CPU temperature, your fan *IS SUPPOSED TO RUN*, so you shouldn't try to use i8kutils or any other fan control software to turn it off - your machine might overheat and get damaged.

Beans

Using this laptop for about 4 months now, had random mouse freezes and buggy screen on the USB-c output.

Bios 1.2.18, kernel 4.9.10 and nvidia 375.39 finally seems to have fixed it. No mouse issues and both my external monitors works fine. (so far this morning... )

Virtualbox broke going from 4.8 -> 4.9 tho. Got same issue going from 4.4 -> 4.8

Update

Mouse freezes is back...
    Last edited by tobros91; February 20th, 2017 at 08:01 AM.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 15.10 on Dell Xps 15 9550 new Infinity display (i7 6gen 16gbr UHD 4k touch

As per your point 1 "The PCIe hard drive won't be recognized by live Ubuntu 15.10 by default.", consider installing Ubuntu server instead, as it should detect RAID 0. You can then add the desktop/unity later.

Thank you for your report!

Beans

Hi All,

Just installed Ubuntu 16.04 on my XPS 15 9550 (4K). Could anyone tell me which tutorial should I follow for post-installation (drivers update, etc.) as many of them seem out of date and some are controversial (i.e. someone suggests using bumblebee, another person suggests nvidia-prime, etc.). Sorry for dumb question, this is my first Ubuntu experience outside of using it a bit on a VM.

Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839