Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Re: Ubuntu on Dell Xps 15 9550 new Infinity display (i7 6gen 16gbr UHD 4k touch

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 15.10 on Dell Xps 15 9550 new Infinity display (i7 6gen 16gbr UHD 4k touch

@parallelo: Nice work! Weird that .efi disappeared. Hopefully this was do to a stray cosmic ray and not a nasty bug. Before I saw you fixed it, I was going to mention that I have Dell SupportAssist feature turned off in bios.

@astroman3001gt: Just tested. Webcam works and has good color/resolution. The location at the bottom of the screen makes it almost completely un-useable. If you do a lot of video conferencing I wouldn't suggest this laptop. Personally I'll use a USB one that clips to the top of the screen on the very rare conference call. Note that Skype and Cheese worked seemlessly. For some reason Google Chrome (from ppa) hangouts did't work, but something that should be fixed soon.

@astroman3001gt: Just tested. Unfortunately the mic isn't detected. Headphone mic doesn't work either so this looks like an Ubuntu 15.10 bug, not a driver issue.
    Last edited by jchedstrom; November 7th, 2015 at 07:04 PM.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 15.10 on Dell Xps 15 9550 new Infinity display (i7 6gen 16gbr UHD 4k touch

On the topic of suspend/resume, upgrading Ubuntu 15.10 to the new 4.3 kernel seemed to add support for it on my system

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/...l-4-3-released

Beans

@paralleo on that link the person claims that the newer kernel has "Intel Skylake enabled by default". Any idea what that means? Are you noticing any other performance or battery life improvements?

Beans

I have seen that it better supports the Skylake iGPU: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...features&num=1

And some more specifics: http://blog.ffwll.ch/2015/09/neat-dr...ff-for-43.html
    Last edited by parallelo; November 9th, 2015 at 05:25 PM.

Beans

Thanks so much for this thread! The battery life results convinced me not to buy an XPS 15 and I was about to put the order in (Hearing it would get 17 hours was a huge selling point for me as I assumed it'd be at least 12 in Ubuntu). <10 is a deal breaker for me, so glad work was put into investigating this.

Beans

@Tyler_Kellogg For me it is not only the battery life time. It is all the little things that it is currently not working... I guess in time there will be some improvement. I have being facing all these problems in my latest laptops buys... (Worse case was my small netbook asus 1025c which still today there is no good and east driver available for the atom N2800)...

Anyway, this time I would like to buy a laptop that is 100% (or very close) with linux. I though DELL was making these kind of computer. There were a few from DELL in the last years that were even sold with ubuntu... (as examples you have the previous xps 13, the m3800). But currently there is none... or is there?

Do you guys know any nice new ultrabook that is 100% compatible with Ubuntu? Maybe there is no new computer...

Beans

Don’t Turn RAID On back on… Reinstall Windows
    • Enable AHCI in Windows: Reinstall Windows, it will now detect you’re in AHCI mode and install properly.
    When you install Windows on AHCI mode, does the SSD is used in AHCI mode instead of NVMe mode ?

Beans

Hi quickdry21, we have been discussing different kernels here. I assume you are int

@BobAdams (he's been trying to gett Arch to work https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=204862)

Here's my xorg.conf file when using Nvidia-PRIME to switch to the Nvidia GPU. When switched to Intel GPU there is no xorg.conf... no idea why that is.

Code:
    Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier "layout"
        Screen 0 "nvidia"
        Inactive "intel"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier "intel"
        Driver "modesetting"
        BusID "PCI:0@0:2:0"
        Option "AccelMethod" "None"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "intel"
        Device "intel"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier "nvidia"
        Driver "nvidia"
        BusID "PCI:1@0:0:0"
        Option "ConstrainCursor" "off"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "nvidia"
        Device "nvidia"
        Option "AllowEmptyInitialConfiguration" "on"
        Option "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "CRT"
    EndSection
    Tried out the v4.3 kernel. I can verify that it fixed the Suspend issue. Surprisingly it also fixed the microphone issue, both built-in and connect to headphones. Unfortunately in a short test it didn't look like it had an effect on power draw or battery life.
    Last edited by howefield; December 11th, 2015 at 03:40 PM.

Beans

@jchedstrom: Nice news. So right now the only problem that you have is the battery life? Or is there more unsolved issues?

Beans

Sorry to ask again, I'm willing to install Ubuntu, and I need to know if switching from RAID On to AHCI in BIOS change the way the SSD is used ?
    Is it still used with NVMe instruction, or it will use the old AHCI standard, and therefore will affect performance ?
    Thanks

Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast