Page 27 of 39 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Re: Ubuntu on Dell Xps 15 9550 new Infinity display (i7 6gen 16gbr UHD 4k touch

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 15.10 on Dell Xps 15 9550 new Infinity display (i7 6gen 16gbr UHD 4k touch

A headsup for people trying out the latest kernels: I've had 2 kernel panics (with flashing capslock led) on mainline 4.5rc4 . Once when leaving the laptop just idle, the other while working on it. This is over the course of several days, not a huge problem so far for me.

Beans

Thunderbird port hotplug

Quote Originally Posted by jsla7527 View Post
    I have the exact same issue.

In general, USB-C port is flaky at best. Currently it has following issues:
    • hotplug doesn't work for usb type devices (it would work for displayport adapter, but that's pretty much just pass through). It doesn't work for ethernet cable or Nexus phone. I've tried different kernels, but to no avail. With the device plugged in at boot it works as expected.
    I finally found solution for hotplugging USB-C devices, although it's not automated. This works with Plugable ethernet adapter, Nexus phone and Dell Dock (more on that in later post). You need to run the following command after plugging anything into USB-C port
    Code:
    $ sudo sh -c "echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/rescan"
    You can then verify with lspci that there's new USB controller: Intel Corporation Device 15b5, which apparently is what Thunderbird controller is called these days.

I'd assume this will be fixed in later kernels - I believe usb-c/Thunderbird controller is shut down completely when nothing is plugged in so kernel cannot see it (this would also account for power consumption decrease), but once you plug something in, kernel should rescan PCI bus automatically.

Beans

Re: Thunderbird port hotplug

Quote Originally Posted by jsla7527 View Post
    I finally found solution for hotplugging USB-C devices, although it's not automated. This works with Plugable ethernet adapter, Nexus phone and Dell Dock (more on that in later post). You need to run the following command after plugging anything into USB-C port
    Code:
    You can then verify with lspci that there's new USB controller: Intel Corporation Device 15b5, which apparently is what Thunderbird controller is called these days.

I'd assume this will be fixed in later kernels - I believe usb-c/Thunderbird controller is shut down completely when nothing is plugged in so kernel cannot see it (this would also account for power consumption decrease), but once you plug something in, kernel should rescan PCI bus automatically.
    Thanks, seems to work.

Some notes though: The lspci output (including the 15b5 device, theUSB controller) remains unchanged even after unplugging on my system: 15b5 is always there.

Your pci rescan workaround does make the sections in lshw output appear again though, so it seems to work. Quick 'n' dirty check:
    Code:
    # count no of PCI bridge lines in lshw before
    $ sudo lshw | grep "PCI bridge" | wc -l
    # rescan pci
    # count afterwards
    sudo lshw | grep "PCI bridge" | wc -l
    Should show a difference.

I can't get my USB device to be recognised after rescanning ports though, but maybe that's another issue.
    Last edited by bertusrex; February 19th, 2016 at 10:53 AM.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 15.10 on Dell Xps 15 9550 new Infinity display (i7 6gen 16gbr UHD 4k touch

I'm on kernel 4.4.1 with the latest nvidia-361 and intel linux graphics drivers. Lately, when on the intel graphics, the resolution at the login screen/initial login is very low. After signing in and waiting for ~10 seconds, the resolution goes back to normal. A, maybe unrelated, side-effect is that when I close the lid on my laptop, it sleeps maybe 50% of the time, and the other 50% it boots into grub again.

For what it's worth, this is a dual boot machine (win10, ubuntu 15.10), and my screen is 1080p, not 4k.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by l1fe View Post
    I'm on kernel 4.4.1 with the latest nvidia-361 and intel linux graphics drivers. Lately, when on the intel graphics, the resolution at the login screen/initial login is very low. After signing in and waiting for ~10 seconds, the resolution goes back to normal.
    This happens on my machine too (with 4.5-rc4 kernel). I think it's bug with nvidia-361 drivers only. On the other hand, it doesn't happen when using nvidia card, and since glxgears runs about twice as fast as with 352 drivers and generally performance seem much better, I just tend to stick with nvidia full time (I also don't feel it's that much of a battery drag compared to Intel).

A, maybe unrelated, side-effect is that when I close the lid on my laptop, it sleeps maybe 50% of the time, and the other 50% it boots into grub again.
    I had reboot on resume happen a lot at one point, but then it went away. Not exactly sure why, though as I said, I don't really use intel drivers. One thing that I mentioned though is that after rebooting, it will happen again in 100% of the cases on next suspend unless I shutdown the notebook completely in between. I think it gets into some weird state and complete shutdown repairs it. Otherwise suspend has been pretty stable for me as long as I don't use USB-C port.

Beans

Thanks! I'll give going nvidia a try. Curious to see if battery life is relatively on par...

Beans

I have a dell XPS 9550 with a 4K screen. GTX 960M. Here is the issue: ONE boot I was able to use "install updates" from ubuntu and it made everything work flawlessly. The function keys adjusted brightness, and the scale feature of unity "Scale for menu and title bars" scaled the resolution perfectly.
    After the crash, it went back to extremely small scaling and scaling no longer works. I press apply and the screen remains unchanged. I cannot figure this out, I am relatively new to Ubuntu.
    Some suggest installing nvidia 352 or 355, when I install them and restart lightdm, ubuntu does not let me log in, it reverts back to login screen like a login loop. I'm at a complete loss here. I've tried downloading the driver from 01.org and run the installation, when I reboot,no change. Either I am installing it wrong or it has no effect. I even change to it from the Ubuntu software additional drivers section, reboot, and it still does not let me log in.
    Currently, the screen brightness cannot be adjusted and the screen cannot be scaled. I'm thinking its the graphics driver but I'm not sure.

I just want to adjust my brightness and scale ubuntu, everything else is perfect!! I have done 3 clean installs

I am on Ubuntu 15.10 kernel 4.2. I have tried kernel 4.3 to no avail. And once again NVidia drivers never let me log in and I cant quite figure out why.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by patrick117 View Post
    After the crash, it went back to extremely small scaling and scaling no longer works. I press apply and the screen remains unchanged. I cannot figure this out, I am relatively new to Ubuntu.
    Some suggest installing nvidia 352 or 355, when I install them and restart lightdm, ubuntu does not let me log in, it reverts back to login screen like a login loop.

--> http://askubuntu.com/questions/73602...n-ubuntu-14-04

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kjano View Post
    Btw, do not install the latest intel drivers via intel-linux-graphics-installer. As you can read from the many reports online, this may render your unity desktop unusable as you will no longer be able to log in. Btw, Xfce will still work (and you can use it to fix your unity by switching to the intel card instead of the nivida card).
    I think this bit me today for some reason. I upgraded to 32gb of ram which shouldn't matter at all but I couldn't log in anymore. I removed the intel and all nvidia, went back to nouveau, the re-installed intel and I'm back. I am about to add nvidia back into the mix. Is 361 the driver to run right now?

update I re installed nvidia 352 drivers, and everything is hosed again. It seems latest intel drivers are not playing nice with the nvidia ones. If I just install the intel drivers, everything comes back to life (had to force purge all the nvidia* and reinstall ubuntu-desktop) to get everything back.

Anyone here running 2 4k screens. I recently got a dell 4k 27" I'm using via usb-c-> displayport adapter because the panel can't do 60hz via hdmi. Is there a usb-c to dual DP that works in linux?

I tried my laptop 4k screen + usb-c 4k screen + u2412m at 1920x1200 and intel drivers completely crash. Before latest update nvidia would work, but system would freeze when coming back from a screen timeout.
    Last edited by rvanderwerf; February 26th, 2016 at 08:24 PM.

Beans

What kind of battery life am I supposed to get on the i7 256gb model? I'm running Ubuntu 15.10 on a 1tb ssd which is in the 2.5 inch hard drive slot. Using latest nvidia 361 driver from the Additional drivers section. I'm on kernel 4.4.0. Brightness is set to very low and I can barely get 3 hours or so. I also notice the laptop is a lot warmer than in windows.

Page 27 of 39 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast