Page 11 of 39 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Re: Ubuntu on Dell Xps 15 9550 new Infinity display (i7 6gen 16gbr UHD 4k touch

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 15.10 on Dell Xps 15 9550 new Infinity display (i7 6gen 16gbr UHD 4k touch

Hi, I am an owner of a machine with the same hardware as the dell Xps 15 9550, I have an acer nitro vn7-592g with i7-6700hq and gtx960m, I have had your same issues installing ubuntu 15.10 (even the touchpad) , after that I finally ended with a correct installation of ubuntu 15.10 and currenty I am on kernel 4.3, with the correct booting parameters for the integrated graphics card (i915.preliminary_hw_support=1nouveau.modeset=0), and I use the integrated graphics card not the Nvidia gtx960m.
    Even if everything seems to work fine, I am experiencing issues about temperatures, the laptop seems to heat a lot consequently the battery lasts few hours compared to windows 10 where the laptop remains cool (without fans!!) for most of the every-day tasks (surfing the internet, editing documents) and also the battery lasts up to 7 hours...
    At the same time on Ubuntu I find my cpu work a lot! if I open
    the system monitor I can see there 8 cores (even if in reality there are 4) and all of them working strangely a lot during the normal surfing the internet activity for example they pass from 30% to 50-100% and then go down to 20% or 0%, but on average they work much more than in windows 10 in witch I can work for 8 hours on my laptop without hearing the fans! with temperatures on average of 38°C for the cores. In ubuntu the temperatures are on average 47°C but when you open one applications they go up even reaching 65-70 °C and then going down again, in Windows 10 is difficult for my laptop to exceed the 55 °C whit a lot of applications opened.
    Anyone of you that uses ubuntu in your laptop are experiencing similar problems?
    Thank you.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 15.10 on Dell Xps 15 9550 new Infinity display (i7 6gen 16gbr UHD 4k touch

Hi simone22, have you followed these steps?
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Po...t/ReducedPower

Beans

Bleh, I tried the 4.3 994 .deb files out, and it was a disaster. Booting into 4.3 exhibited some strange behaviour:

* Majority of boots the screen would flicker, couldn't even drop into a virtual console.
    * Very infrequently I would get to the login screen, entering login info would bring me right back to login screen (gdm crashing I guess).
    * I was able to actually login once, but it was between long waits and much screen flickering.

I checked the kernel and syslog and saw some log messages relating to the NVIDIA driver not loading (didn't save them anywhere unfortunately). I tried out 352 and 355, neither seemed to make much of a difference. Going out on a limb, I thought maybe it was related to installing the NVIDIA drivers while running 4.2, so on one of the login attempts to 4.3 where I was able to get to the login screen, I dropped into a VT, purged nvidia-* and reinstalled nvidia-352 (seems people running 4.3 are having the most success with 352).

Upon reboot, my problems got worse - logging into 4.3 and 4.2 were then completely impossible:

4.2 would hard lock displaying boot messages, the latest one being Starting Gnome Desktop (something like that).
    4.3 the previous problems were amplified, I couldn't get to the login screen any more, just screen flickering.

Booting into recovery for 4.2 *and* 4.3 provided no useful ways to fix the NVIDIA driver install - minimal X server failed on both.

I'm proud of myself on this one - to recover the install I ended up using the initial problem of HDMI causing gdm (or was it X? not sure) to crash that I was trying to resolve in the first place: by booting into 4.3 (4.2 was completely locked) and attaching an HDMI monitor, gdm/X crashed, causing some more flickering, but at least I could drop into a VT and purge the NVIDIA drivers. Then I could boot back into 4.2.

Quote Originally Posted by anthony-towler View Post
    EDIT:
    I also recommend installing the latest Intel graphics driver from here:
    https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloa...er-linux-1.2.1
    I have installed the Intel drivers using that link prior to installing kernel 4.3.

I'm at a bit of a loss at this point for what's preventing 4.3 from booting, but it seems graphics related, specifically the Intel Skylake support - IIRC there were some kernel traces in the logs related to i915.

Some things I have left to speculate on that I haven't ruled out:

* Installing https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloa...er-linux-1.2.1 before 4.3?
    * Installing NVIDIA drivers prior to 4.3?
    * Is it related to mainline .deb files? Would compiling it myself using @anthony-towler guide make any difference? @joshuabc mentioned that there might be some compatibility issues: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...4#post13396394

I'm hesitant to install the drm-intel-nightly as this is my work machine and I need stability. Rereading @joshuabc's post (specifically the DKMS part) leads me to believe this may be related to using the pre-compiled 4.3 mainline .deb files pasted a few times in this post, however it is unclear if other posters are having success with pre-packaged .deb files or self-compiled .deb files.

Beans

@quickdry21. Sorry to hear about your problems. The only thing I can really recommend is to backup your home folder and make a clean install following the initial posting in this thread but using 4.3 994 and nvidia 352.63. Also, do not forget to add the GRUB parameter. The HDMI troubles aside, my system works perfectly and I am getting about 6+ hours of battery runtime. I am sure you cen get your system working as well.

In case it helps, this is what I did:

FROM jchedstrom:
    0) Might not be necessary but did the following:

BIOS > Secure Boot > Disabled

1) The PCIe hard drive won't be recognized by live Ubuntu 15.10 by default. Change RAID to AHCI. When it works it will appear as /dev/nvme0n1.

BIOS>System Configuration>SATA Operation> switch RAID to AHCI

2) Random freezes will happen with the live Ubuntu 15.10. Symptoms are random freezes and infinite errors, something like the following: nouveau PFIFO SCHED_ERROR. Fix by pressing 'e' on grub menu during boot and add "nouveau.modeset=0" to the end of the line starting with "linux". Now boot live disk by pressing F10.

3) Touchpad might not work. For some reason it worked for me the first time and then never again. Easiest is to use a USB mouse temporarily. There's a fix for after install is finished.

4) Install should now work smoothly.

5) Reboot. Dell SupportAssist reports a failing component. "Error Code 2000-0151, Validation 106575, Hard Drive 1 incorrect status = 8000000000000003". Ignore this. Go into bios and setup the correct boot option.

There might be an automatically provided option to select under boot options. Otherwise manually set it up. BIOS>General>Boot Sequence > Add Boot Option > ubuntu > shimx64.efi (\EFI\ubuntu\shimx64.efi)

6) Try booting, but make sure you press SHIFT repeatedly during boot to get to grub menu. Repeat step (2) above.

7) On first successful boot edit /etc/default/grub, GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nouveau.modeset=0". Then run "sudo update-grub". Now won't need to manually change grub settings on every boot.

Next:

Install kernel 4.3 994, see my posting about how to do this above.

Next:

sudo apt-get purge nvida-*
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-352 nvidia-prime //---> not 355
    sudo service lightdm restart

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install prime-indicator
    prime-indicator

Next:
    Installing https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloa...er-linux-1.2.1

Beans

Re: Re: Ubuntu 15.10 on Dell Xps 15 9550 new Infinity display (i7 6gen 16gbr UHD 4k

Quote Originally Posted by kjano View Post
    @quickdry21. Sorry to hear about your problems. The only thing I can really recommend is to backup your home folder and make a clean install following the initial posting in this thread but using 4.3 994 and nvidia 352.63. Also, do not forget to add the GRUB parameter. The HDMI troubles aside, my system works perfectly and I am getting about 6+ hours of battery runtime. I am sure you cen get your system working as well.

In case it helps, this is what I did:

FROM jchedstrom:
    0) Might not be necessary but did the following:

BIOS > Secure Boot > Disabled

1) The PCIe hard drive won't be recognized by live Ubuntu 15.10 by default. Change RAID to AHCI. When it works it will appear as /dev/nvme0n1.

BIOS>System Configuration>SATA Operation> switch RAID to AHCI

2) Random freezes will happen with the live Ubuntu 15.10. Symptoms are random freezes and infinite errors, something like the following: nouveau PFIFO SCHED_ERROR. Fix by pressing 'e' on grub menu during boot and add "nouveau.modeset=0" to the end of the line starting with "linux". Now boot live disk by pressing F10.

3) Touchpad might not work. For some reason it worked for me the first time and then never again. Easiest is to use a USB mouse temporarily. There's a fix for after install is finished.

4) Install should now work smoothly.

5) Reboot. Dell SupportAssist reports a failing component. "Error Code 2000-0151, Validation 106575, Hard Drive 1 incorrect status = 8000000000000003". Ignore this. Go into bios and setup the correct boot option.

There might be an automatically provided option to select under boot options. Otherwise manually set it up. BIOS>General>Boot Sequence > Add Boot Option > ubuntu > shimx64.efi (\EFI\ubuntu\shimx64.efi)

6) Try booting, but make sure you press SHIFT repeatedly during boot to get to grub menu. Repeat step (2) above.

7) On first successful boot edit /etc/default/grub, GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nouveau.modeset=0". Then run "sudo update-grub". Now won't need to manually change grub settings on every boot.

Next:

Install kernel 4.3 994, see my posting about how to do this above.

Next:

sudo apt-get purge nvida-*
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-352 nvidia-prime //---> not 355
    sudo service lightdm restart

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install prime-indicator
    prime-indicator

Next:
    Installing https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloa...er-linux-1.2.1
    Thanks for the help kjano, going to try this out tomorrow. If this series of steps works out, it sounds like the order in which the graphics drivers are installed matter - specifically, having the nvidia-352 and the Intel drivers installed *before* installing 4.3 might be causing the issue.

I love these challenges with Linux, I always come out the other side knowing more than when I started

EDIT: Technically, if this is the case, I should be able to remove nvidia and the Intel driver packages and 4.3 would work, might try that out. Either way my /home is on a separate partition so it's not too expensive to reinstall.

So, after doing a bunch of fresh installs and playing around with different setups, I can get HDMI working on a fresh install of Ubuntu Gnome 15.10, before installing any nvidia-* or the intel graphics installer drivers. Went through the steps of installing, then adding nouveau.modeset=0 to the boot options and blacklisting the i2c_hid touchpad driver. After a fresh install, I can get HDMI working *only* after switching my monitor to HDMI and plugging in the cable right away. If I plug in the cable while the monitor is set to DVI or DisplayPort or w/e, then switching the input to HDMI, it won't work, I tried F8 to cycle display modes, unplugging and replugging HDMI.

I tried kernel 4.3 (was noticeably unstable) and nvidia-352, couldn't get a stable setup let alone HDMI working.

I've yet to exhaust all combinations of kernel 4\.[23] && nvidia-3\d{2} && intel drivers, so I'm still hoping I can get HDMI working with proper NVIDIA drivers.

Regardless, I beg for mercy, anyone who is using this laptop running Ubuntu with an external monitor via HDMI please reveal your secrets/setup!
    Last edited by howefield; December 7th, 2015 at 11:05 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kjano View Post
    Hi simone22, have you followed these steps?
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Po...t/ReducedPower
    Hi kjano, thank you for your reply. Of course I have set properly powertop, and thermalid but the problem remained.
    Anyway I actually found a solution! I have installed the kernel 4.4 rc3 ( I previously tried 4.3 and then 4.4 rc 2 but I had the identical heating problems), now whit this kernel I can experience the same temperatures as Windows 10! Even lower... No fans.. And temperatures about 38 degrees. Ufortunately the only thing is that the wifi connection doesn't work with this new kernel ( I have an atheros QCA6174)

Beans

Indeed, kernel 4.3.0-994 from drm-intel-nightly is now gone.
    But kernel 4.3.0-997 can be found in drm-intel-next :

This kernel works with nvidia-358 driver, sleep/wake works and HDMI also works :

By the way, I tested kernel 4.4.0-994-generic from intel-drm-nightly, and 4.4-rc3 from wily mainline and the system didn't boot with both.
    Last edited by Annihil; December 6th, 2015 at 05:45 PM.

Beans

Hi all,

first of all thanks to all of you who have contributed here. I managed to get Linux Mint 17.3 running on my XPS 15 and it seems to be running fine for the moment.

There's an issue that's driving me mad, though. I'm used to rest my left finger on the left button of the touchpad and use the right finger to point. The synaptics driver seems to be buggy, because whenever my right finger touches the touchpad, the pointer freezes.

I have configured the touchpad by copying the synaptics config:

Code:
    sudo cp /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/51-synaptics-userdefined.conf
    and then added

Code:
    Section "InputClass"
            Identifier "Default clickpad buttons"
            MatchDriver "synaptics"
    #                                 RB: Left right top bottom  MB: Left right top bottom
    #       Option "SoftButtonAreas" "50% 0 82% 0 0 0 0 0"
    #       Option "SoftButtonAreas" "0 50% 82% 0 50% 0 82% 0"  # bottom:right 50% middle 50%
            Option "SoftButtonAreas" "60% 0 82% 0 41% 59% 82% 0" #bottom: left(40%) middle(20%) right (40%)
    #       To disable the bottom edge area so the buttons only work as buttons,
    #       not for movement, set the AreaBottomEdge
            Option "AreaBottomEdge" "82%"
    #       synclient PalmDetect=1
            Option "PalmDetect" "1"

EndSection
    but no luck.

I found this thread stating there's an error in the synaptics driver:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1026046

Is anyone experiencing the same issue? I'm desperately searching for a solution to this annoying issue.

For the moment I'm using this workaround:

Code:
    sudo modprobe psmouse proto=imps

which disables the capability of scrolling with the touchpad :-/

Any help would be highly appreciated!

Thanks and regards,

Fab
    Last edited by fab3; December 6th, 2015 at 08:37 PM.

Beans

I cannot get any 4.4 kernel working. The HDMI issue aside I am happy with the machine despite the screen being super glossy and the webcam being totally pointless. The HDMI situation is super frustrating and it may take like 5 min just to connect a screen or projector. I hope we will see some improvements over the next weeks. Maybe it is worth to post a bug report.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Quote Originally Posted by Annihil View Post
    By the way, I tested kernel 4.4.0-994-generic from intel-drm-nightly, and 4.4-rc3 from wily mainline and the system didn't boot with both.
    What was the issue? I just tried the 994 from intel-drm-nightly and the kernel couldn't find the SSD (presumably some issue with NVMe, which is getting a lot of attention, judging by the changelogs), so I wound up at a BusyBox prompt in the initrd. (Which is actually kind of cool. Last time I remember hacking on a Linux box like this, I don't think the initrd had BusyBox on it. Or maybe it's just that I wasn't trying to get a brand-new storage architecture working so I never saw it …)

Also, I'm now thinking that for some reason I can resume but only if the machine isn't suspended very long. If I close the lid, open it again, then hit a key, it comes back to life, but if I leave and come back it won't wake up. Annoying because it means I can't test it quickly …

Page 11 of 39 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast