View Poll Results: Share with us your Wily (15.10) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly.

8 28.57%
  • Upgrade - worked but had a few things to fix, nothing serious though.

5 17.86%
  • Upgrade - had many problems that I've not been able to solve.

1 3.57%
  • Install - worked flawlessly.

9 32.14%
  • Install - worked but had a few things to fix.

3 10.71%
  • Install - had many problems that I have not been able to solve.

2 7.14%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Share with us your Wily (15.10) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Share your install or upgrade experience to 15.10 Release. (Oct 22/15 Release Dat

No problems updating to 15.10. Still trying to figure out what the heck's different, as everything works like it did in 15.04.
    This post is like Brigadoon!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Share your install or upgrade experience to 15.10 Release. (Oct 22/15 Release Dat

I'm with SantaFe. Got the Update icon - clicked on it - clicked on Install - entered password - went to make a coffee - came back - clicked on Restart Now. Rebooted and everything is working as advertised and as SantaFE said, no obvious differences.
    Your files aren't in the cloud, they're just on someone else's computer.
    --Dave

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thank you UBUNTU!!
    The 2 previous releases I tried on my newer Windows 10 machine with much failure.
    I have been without using Linux for over a year (machine came with Win 8.1) I had to do a recovery
    every time I tried an UBUNTU DVD
    Well this morning I tried a 'live' run, 15.10 and it was great. So I did a little reading/research
    and decided to try a dual boot. It went without any issues. Was presented with grub when I rebooted.
    Upon a second reboot I had to press f10 and select Ubuntu as grub didn't show.
    I am so glad they have worked out the issue with newer hardware and Windows locking
    out other operating systems.
    Machine seems to be doing quite well with 15.10
    Thanks again and I am quite happy again!!
    (Was)Windows Free At Last
    "May You Have A Safe Trip and A Successful Journey"
    Linux user #432153 Ubuntu user #8521

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Thumbs up Re: Share your install or upgrade experience to 15.10 Release. (Oct 22/15 Release Dat

I did the upgrade two days ago now and it went as smooth as could be. I have not had any problems. This has been a great upgrade.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

I decided to build an entire new machine for 15:10 as my previous build was getting on and after buying a new 28 inch monitor running at 4K it was starting to struggle & glitch.

Here's the old setup with new monitor (AMD Phenom II 965 Black Edition X4core with GTX 460 and 8mb RAM) ... http://i.imgur.com/RIxwad9.jpg
    If you look under the table you'll see the "still Boxed" GTX 970 waiting for the rest of the bits to arrive.
    Here's the bits for the new build.... http://i.imgur.com/PlIAdKD.jpg

and up and running on a Fresh install of 15:10 onto SSD

http://i.imgur.com/Iw425Zk.jpg

All these are links only because they are BIG pictures.

The only issues I had were a lack of knowledge of new Secure boot Bioses (UEFI) and I got an "Upstart" crash a couple of times. I haven't done anything and that error doesn't seem to have come back.

All in all - Success

Beans

My experience, having switched from Windows 10, has been mostly good, with a few problems that I had to sort out. First, the audio from my Fiio e07k was garbled. It was fixed by switching from the front-panel USB ports to a rear port. Then it wouldn't recognize any of my gamepads, though for some reason restarting the computer with the gamepad plugged in fixed that. Also, been trying to get Wildstar running under Wine, every time I try to run the installer it gives me an error message (that I can't remember the contents of right now), despite following a bunch of tips from other users. However, I realized that I'm not even planning on actually playing, I just wanted to see if I could get it to work.

Other than that, most other things work great. My Windows 7 VM, for one thing, runs a lot better under a Linux host than it did under Windows 10. The VM boots so fast it doesn't even have time to finish the Windows logo. As for the few Windows programs I still want to run, they work fine under the VM, so I'm pretty much set.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil View Post
    -All that you said-

Other than that, most other things work great. My Windows 7 VM, for one thing, runs a lot better under a Linux host than it did under Windows 10. The VM boots so fast it doesn't even have time to finish the Windows logo. As for the few Windows programs I still want to run, they work fine under the VM, so I'm pretty much set.
    1. I'm really happy to hear of your success!

2. Seems, you have been thoughtful in your transition from Windows to Ubuntu base-install. Much of the advice on transitioning from MS Windows suggests dual-booting, Ubuntu and Windows initially, or/then with > to Ubuntu host with Windows "guest", to allow the continual usage of Windows when needed. Some, (probably most), transition from there to only Ubuntu and Linux. Sometimes with wine etc, for some things still needed.

Doing the transition thoughtfully and, with a plan for using what one needs is helpful as, you outlined.

Thanks, for sharing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Share with us your Wily (15.10) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

Upgraded two machines from 15.04 to 15.10 and one from 14.04 to 15.10. Encountered a minor problem with VirtualBox on one machine and am having issues accessing non-audio media on CD/DVDs. Other than that all went smoothly.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I installed Ubuntu 15.10. Only problem I've seen so far, I added Synaptic but Synaptic's History doesn't work. Bug reports:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...c/+bug/1487890
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...c/+bug/1471445

Beans

I installed 15.10 7 days ago and it installed flawlessly dual boot older machine (5 years). Only issue is when I just try to "log off" it hangs with it waiting for Plymouth? still working on that. It detects and installs the codecs needed great!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast