View Poll Results: Share with us your Wily (15.10) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly.

8 28.57%
  • Upgrade - worked but had a few things to fix, nothing serious though.

5 17.86%
  • Upgrade - had many problems that I've not been able to solve.

1 3.57%
  • Install - worked flawlessly.

9 32.14%
  • Install - worked but had a few things to fix.

3 10.71%
  • Install - had many problems that I have not been able to solve.

2 7.14%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with us your Wily (15.10) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Share your install or upgrade experience to 15.10 Release. (Oct 22/15 Release Dat

I did some install testing on my desktop PC. For the most part, it was uneventful.

The main thing I noticed is how much quicker installation is than it used to be. And, no, my current machine is no faster than my old one, though it does have more memory.

I'm still using 14.04 as my workhorse, however.
    Ubuntu membership via Forums contributions
    BACKUP before installing or upgrading.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Share your install or upgrade experience to 15.10 Release. (Oct 22/15 Release Dat

Uneventful and quicker is good. Just like what Snappy-Core with Snaps will be soon!
    One Psychiatrist's Definition of Insanity: Knowing what one should do and doing differently.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ubuntu 14.04 has Unity 7 and so does 15.04 and 15.10 and so will 16.04. So, it is true that we do not see any real changes. And so I do not expect to see any real changes when 16.04 comes out. And try as I might I cannot come up with any ideas about needed visual changes to Unity. It does what it does and it does it well on my machine with a core2 duo CPU, 1GB RAM and a Nvidia GT220 with 1GB memory.

On another hard disk I have installed Ubuntu Personal. It is snappy Ubuntu core with Mir and Unity 8. It is still very much the phone OS but it is most definitely visually different. It has the top panel with indicators and the launcher on the left but workplace switching is different. Move the mouse to the right screen edge and all the open apps vertically cascade and we can select which app to use. It is very slick at doing this.

Oh, yes, if Ubuntu Personal is pre-installed on laptops and notebooks for retail or released as an installable ISO image, then we will see some changes. It is Ubuntu. But not as we know it.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I upgraded during the Beta phase and uneventful describes it best. I’ve seen no reason for a clean installation.
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; October 27th, 2015 at 05:55 PM.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!

I also have to agree with Frogs Hair!
    14.04 for me at least is just hard to beat.
    But I crave the excitement of testing the new releases. (Like a moth to flames)
    Kind Regards
    Last edited by QDR06VV9; October 27th, 2015 at 04:43 PM. Reason: spell

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thanks everyone.

Capturing shared insights and experiences.

Seems, the old days of huge changes per new releases are gone as we know it. In upcoming new releases we can expect to see huge changes again albeit, in a different fashion. Then possibly, the new changes coming expected with Ubuntu-core and snappy updates may, bring us back to "uneventful" changes, for the end-user's experience. With that, end-users quite possibly will have, steady "uneventful" changes that might be, very progressive.

Huh, what did I just say?

One Psychiatrist's Definition of Insanity: Knowing what one should do and doing differently.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Last weekend my hard drive started to fail (it went read only) so I swapped it for another. I had been running Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit. The only USB stick that I had lying around was a Linux Mint 17 32 bit live installer. So I installed that but was not happy because Firefox was about 20 versions out of date and I could not view certain web-site with it. Then I decided to get Ubuntu 15.10 and install that over the whole drive.
    Firstly the installer did not detect the Linux Mint install. This did not worry me because I wanted to delete it anyway.
    When it got to the partitioning screen all sorts of strange messages appeared so I backed out of the install and ran gparted.
    In the Mint install I had selected "use LVM" and gparted was not able to delete anything other than the small (boot?) partition. Even after searching for answers I could not get rid of the main partition.
    At this point I gave up trying and ran the 15.10 installer again. Success! This time the partitioner just created the usual /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2/ and /dev/sda5 swap.
    So far everything is working well, it automatically enabled my usually troublesome Broadcom BCM4311 wifi card (which Mint did not).
    I think that the dash is now faster to load and switching between workspaces is smoother.
    This is an old HP laptop with the ATI RS690M [Radeon Xpress 1200/1250/1270] video card using the Gallium 0.4 driver and it all looks good.

Edit: My keyboard does not work after resuming from suspend.
    Edit2: The keyboard stops working after shutting the lid even though it's setting is to "Do nothing". It can be reactivated by logging out and back in.
    Last edited by coldraven; October 29th, 2015 at 02:43 PM.

Beans

I have installed it by upgrade twice. End up with problems that I cannot fix, so I reinstall 15.04, the problems never end. Yesterdays upgrade prod suckered me into 15.10 again. My reason is there never was a search box in "software" and sd does not work anymore (does, doesn't, does, now don't). Read my topic on this search box problem I posted earlier today.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Upgraded from 15.04 to 15.10, upgrade went smoothly albeit my Nvidia drivers were borked; after fighting with it among performance issues with getting Optimus/Prime working I downgraded back to 14.04.3 and lo-and-behold I am back to the Ubuntu I fell in love with.
    System Specs: Processor:Intel® Core™ i7-2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz × 4 Graphics:nVidia Quadro 2000m RAM: 8 GB

Ubuntu User: 34379

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bob120 View Post
    I have installed it by upgrade twice. End up with problems that I cannot fix, so I reinstall 15.04, the problems never end. Yesterdays upgrade prod suckered me into 15.10 again. My reason is there never was a search box in "software" and sd does not work anymore (does, doesn't, does, now don't). Read my topic on this search box problem I posted earlier today.
    I hope you receive knowledgeable replies to your question(s).

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2300799

Quote Originally Posted by cbennett926 View Post
    Upgraded from 15.04 to 15.10, upgrade went smoothly albeit my Nvidia drivers were borked; after fighting with it among performance issues with getting Optimus/Prime working I downgraded back to 14.04.3 and lo-and-behold I am back to the Ubuntu I fell in love with.
    So, still problems with Release Upgrades.

By the by, which process did you use to downgrade. Pinning possibly?

For myself, I had started a file for Release Upgrading thinking, I might try it for the next LTS with this box. Just for the experience.

This is a recent informed post from mcduck on using apt, and its abilities. I added it to my file: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...e#post13379167

"The command to actually update to next release version is do-release-upgrade (although manually editing your sources.lst to point to new version's repositories and then running a dist-upgrade would also get you to next release version. But the do-release-upgrade command does some checks, disables PPA repositories and other things to make sure the upgrade goes smoothly.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast