Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chromium flash player update?

Beans

Chromium flash player update?

I like using the Chromium web browser but i am constantly being informed to update Adobe Flash Player. Is there a plug in i could install?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Chromium flash player update?

Those warnings are pretty standard for linux-flash
    But just to be sure you can go this site and check.
    https://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/
    I have version 19,0,0,226 installed which is current.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

In Trusty 14.04, fully updated I am running flash 17,0,0,188 according to that Adobe link.

I have no idea if or how I can get version 19,0,0,226, but in any case I do not get any warnings about flash being out of date.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    In Trusty 14.04, fully updated I am running flash 17,0,0,188 according to that Adobe link.

I have no idea if or how I can get version 19,0,0,226, but in any case I do not get any warnings about flash being out of date.
    Early on in testing 14.04 This was kind of up in the air, But that said I use this method for pepperflash on chromium.
    http://www.webupd8.org/2013/04/insta...layer-for.html
    coffecat tells it is no longer needed. But??
    Best Regards

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by runrickus View Post
    coffecat tells it is no longer needed. But??
    Rather than garble what I said why not link to it?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...1#post13371241

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...1#post13373608

I'm not 100% sure the adobe-flashplugin package keeps the Chromium flash plugin up-to-date, but that is what the wiki.ubuntu.com links seem to imply. If they do, I'd far rather use the partner repository than a PPA, using instructions which are over 2 years old.
    Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I also believe that the ppa is no longer needed for the later versions of Ubuntu which have a pepperflashplugin-installer in the default repos, but I wonder if the ppa version still gets a later version of pepperflash than the default repos version?

Very odd situation that I do not have an answer for.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    I also believe that the ppa is no longer needed for the later versions of Ubuntu which have a pepperflashplugin-installer in the default repos, but I wonder if the ppa version still gets a later version of pepperflash than the default repos version?

Very odd situation that I do not have an answer for.
    That PPA I trust if that means anything..Been using it for a couple of years.
    But if you had installed pepperflash using default repos and showing a lower version??
    Indeed an Odd situation.
    Kind Regards

Beans

Definitely true that adobe-flashplugin keeps both the Firefox-compatable and Chromium-compatable plugins up to date. See also post #6 in this thread 6 days ago:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2299231
    Chromium on Linux Mint has been using this too for some time. Currently, this method has Firefox version at 11,2,202,540 and Chromium version at 19,0,0,226.

The pepperflashplugin-nonfree is deprecated. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Chromium/Getting-Flash
    Last edited by Dennis N; October 23rd, 2015 at 10:49 PM. Reason: added link

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thanks Dennis.

I was not aware that Adobe-flash was the package to use again and still had pepperflashplugin-nonfree installed.

You still need freshplayer-plugin for the pepperflash to work in firefox or you still get version 11, but now with adobe-flash installed I have flash 19.0.0.226 in both browsers.

Does this mean that adobe have now started development of flash again for Linux or is the Linux version of adobe-flash package produced by our own developers?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

I was not familiar with freshplayer-plugin, but if that uses pepperflash instead of adobe flash, that could explain the 19.0.0.226 flash version (unless it masquerades the real flash version). My Goggle Chrome has that version, but Firefox has the most recent Linux version of Adobe flash 11.2.202.540.

I would be curious if hulu.com works at all with freshplayer-plugin? Since Hulu started their current DRM, Linux Google Chrome does not work because that is not supported by Linux pepperflash. And Adobe flash in Firefox requires installing hal for Hulu's DRM to work.

Google Chrome works for Netflix, but that does not use flash. That is using HTML5 instead of the MS Silverlight that Netflix required previously.
    i5 650 3.2 GHz upgraded to i7 870, 16 GB 1333 RAM, nvidia GTX 1060, 32" 1080p & assorted older computers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast